Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: made my own bullet trap

Boolit Master

made my own bullet trap

i generally practice with my handguns at 13-25 yards so easy for me to hit anything the size of a mans hand at that range. its not that i don't want to buy ww's its that i can't find anyone to sell them to me the rate me and my dad shoot. soooo i made a bullet trap. i bought a 35 gallon rubbermade tote to start, cut a hole larger than a computer paper out, inserted 7 layers of cardboard behind the hole, put cardboard liner on the bottom sides back and filled up with mulch that i packed down by foot, then put all the bags on top of the rubber mulch then zip tied the lid down. the length of the trap for the bullet to travel through was about 35inches or so. the lid is ziptied and when i shot it the lid would lift up alittle due to the packing of the mulch by bullet impact? the bullet handeled a point blank 9mm of 5 1/4 inch barrel propelled by 4.6 gr bullseye 124 gr bullet and a pointblank 44 mag with a 240 grain copper hollowpoint as well. nothing came out the back.

If you put your target in the same place each time, you'll eventually pound a hole through your backstop, so be very careful using it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

My bullet trap is a mount of dirt with rail road ties mounted up behind it. Some day I will mine the lead out of it, but it's not going any where and it would be darn hard to shoot thru it.

Merry Christmas,

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master
    i didnt think id pound a hole in the back if i kept on shooting in the same place. i figured the mulch would stop the 1st 20-50 bullets then the bullets would stop the next 200-250-300 then the mulch would compact behind it but...........i have never used one like this or have much experience with em so if your saying i could punch a hole through the back by shooting over and over in the same place just nod your head up and down and ill be much of the wiser hehe

Yep, I'm nodding my head up and down. If you keep shooting in the same place, it pulverizes the medium and breaks it down. Each succeeding bullet will go deeper until you reach the back of the stop, then they punch through. Been there, done that.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Yep, I'm nodding my head up and down. If you keep shooting in the same place, it pulverizes the medium and breaks it down. Each succeeding bullet will go deeper until you reach the back of the stop, then they punch through. Been there, done that.......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I found this out when i made my first boolit trap.

Boolit Master
    would a steel backing plate help w this phenominum

Boolit Grand Master
    A steel plate used as a backer would help prevent boolits going out the back, but a better plan would be to clean the lead out once in awhile. How often you need to do this, I do not know.

There is a huge thread in the Classics and Stickies section on boolit traps. If I did it right this is the link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627 If not it has 540 posts as of this morning.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Fill tbe box with fine sand.

My 100 yard stop is a 4ft wide by 5ft tall by 7ft deep three sided bin full of creek sand. It stops every thing and for the most part the sand just settels back down on it own. Once in a while I'll just pick some lead out.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

The best sand for a backstop is what they call # 10 sand. It's the small gravel used in asphalt. It will pretty much stay in place and is easy to sift bullets out of.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    the one concern with the bullet trap was portablity otherwise id' use my welding card and build me a monster lol. tried to keep it under 120 lbs for 2 people and a suburu.

Boolit Mold

X-Ring Bullet Trap

Here is a pic of the one I use for handgun at about 22 yards. Also a pretty one I painted up to sell and haven't got around to it.

very nice

Boolit Bub
    anyone sell one like this? or maybe even just a simple v? i had one made, but that route was a pita... yes i know this is 6 years old, but its still info

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by filthygovmploye View Post
    anyone sell one like this? or maybe even just a simple v? i had one made, but that route was a pita... yes i know this is 6 years old, but its still info
    https://www.pinterest.com/cct108/bullet-trap/

I recently built a bullet trap. It has had 500 hits plus or minus (9mm and 45) to date and shows no sign of damage. 1/4 inch steel.

On the left with an 8.5" by 11" piece of paper on trap for size reference

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
    Here is a pic of the one I use for handgun at about 22 yards. Also a pretty one I painted up to sell and haven't got around to it.
    I have the same one! Don't shoot 9mm subgun's in it the sides will split. Mine is getting L channels placed on the corners welded back smooth on the inside.

Won't do that again but pistols and semi auto's should be fine again. I hope.

would a steel backing plate help w this phenominum]
    Yes, my steel backstop is the same as it was when I welded it up.

Boolit Bub
    great looking setups guys! bait, did you pay for all that wood or was it free??? i have access to an unlimited supply of oak, rough cut 2x4s and 4x4s, and sand, haha. its all sweat equity though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast