Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vihtvuori Powder & 45ACP ?

Vihtvuori Powder & 45ACP ?

I have a couple pounds of Vihtvuori powder on hand the previous owner was loading 9mm with. I did not get any load data for this powder and it's the first time I am going to use it. So does anyone have a recommended load with it for 45 ACP 230gn cast lead ?. And maybe 9mm 115/124 gn jacketed ?.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Moderator Emeritus

which powder? Vihtavuori makes several that are suitable for 9mm or 45, but without knowing which you have, its impossible to make a suggestion on data.

You might try downloading the manuals from Castpics.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/vihta.html
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

Yep, they make over 100 powders, and provide a couple dozen to the commercial cannister-grade (handloader) trade. N330 and N340 are ideal powders for full-power loads in the 9 and 45.

I've used quite a variety of VV powders for pistol loading. Tell us what powder you've got, and we can help better.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

I've, also, found VV330 to be an excellent choice for medium to heavy (150 gr+) boolits in the .38 Spl. The VV data page says it's comparable to Unique.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

My bad I forgot to add that is 3N37. I did find a link which only shows that powder in a few 9mm's and under....apparently not good for 45ACP from the Vihtvuori PDF ?.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

Moderator Emeritus

the original 1992 manual shows 1 load in the 45. You might be able to work from there some.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

3N37 is a 22LR powder that burns right around Blue Dot in speed (just a little faster than 2400 and AA#9). It has found a niche market with the IPSC crowd, as it's THE powder for making major with the 38 Super. It's not especially useful for the 45ACP, which is why only the one load...

3N37 happens to be an exemplary powder in the 10mm... Not bad in the 357 Sig and 40S&W. It likes higher-pressure cartridges (which is why it's not outstanding for the 45) that are medium-sized cases, so it might be pretty good in the 357 Magnum as well, though I've never looked at it or used it there.

What other calibers do you load?
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

I worked up a load at 6.1 gns and it seems decently clean with respectable pop . Tried it in my two GI 45's and in my neighbors Llama. Just did'nt try for any accuracy yet to see what it will do. The guy I got this from actually has a 357 sig Glock...wonder why he did'nt keep it for that since he reloads for his 357 glock. And in shooting his glock it has a commanding recoil and is accurate with his reloads. The caliber almost grew on me...but not the pistol.

I reload with VV N-320 with 5,2 grains and a 230gr-FMJ for and 5,4grains with a 200gr-HP for over 20 years.

The N-320 powder is the most widely used VV powder for the .45ACP in Europe (all so for the .357Mag and .38SP). And for a good reason, it has enough power and is very accurate up to at least 90feet!

My last Chrony results were (S&W 1911) with a 230gr FMJ 891-fps ave. And 1023-fps with the 200gr HP. I had less success with Red-Dot, BA-1, Acc#2 and HS-6. For me the N-320 has what it takes.

Peter (Stampede)
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)