Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: A sad story to tell

Boolit Bub

A sad story to tell

I have posted about my 45 TC Hawken and the barrel a little rough when I got it. I got it cleaned up nice but had this gnawing feeling that If I had the best barrel it would be a one holer.
    Now the story. I called my dealer and ordered a Green Mountain 45 32" IBS barrel. In the mean time my other one started shooting much better as I tried different things. So the barrel comes and I'm excited. I started to clean it up to install. Couldn't get the nipple out first off, it took maybe 50 lbs torque to remove it. Then I go for the clean out screw, no screw, OK maybe don't need it but the old one has it. I go to put the barrel in the stock and it won't fit the the hook is too tight. I don't want to modify the tang so I chuck up the barrel in a wooden vice to clean it while I think about this. I started getting all this brown **** out of the barrel, could be normal, first new barrel I bought for BP.
    As I am cleaning, the patches keep getting cleaner and I look in the end of the barrel and see all these white spots like streaks. I say "HUH" what is that stuff. Turns out there is metal burrs all over the inside of the muzzle tearing my white cleaning patches up. Hmmmmm
    I call the dealer, he says no problem I'll get you another one. I told him, Wait I'll call the factory see what they say, maybe I can lap it or something.
    That was four days ago, three phone calls and not a word from the mfg. Left messages each call.
    Now what do I do? I wanted this barrel real bad from all the good things I've heard about them. But now I'm not sure I want to try and save a brand new barrel.
    What would you do?
    Thanks for listening to my rant,
    David

Boolit Master
    Send it back. I bought a drop-in round-ball barrel from them for a T/C Renegade. It was a little bit rough for the first few rounds, but nothing like what you describe.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't mess with it the mfr may claim that you damaged it. Send it back ASAP!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

For what it may be worth to you, this is an old Green Mountain instruction sheet. Check out step No.5.

Boolit Bub
    Good Cheer,
    Thanks for the information. Today I called the dealer and told him I did want to return it. He said he had another one in stock and it would be on it's way.
    It looks like I may have to fit the next barrel to the gun, that's OK.
    Thanks,
    David

Boolit Mold
    I know there's lots of folks who love Green Mountain barrels, but I have seen a half a dozen GM barrels in the last ten years that were complete and total "JUNK". New barrels. I wont take a chance with QC like that.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    For what it may be worth to you, this is an old Green Mountain instruction sheet. Check out step No.5.
    I am curious why you can't shoot a pure lead mini or LEE REAL bullet in the barrel? I have been shooting 310 grain Buffalo Ball-ets in my 1:66 twist 54 caliber barrel from T/C and there was nothing in the information guide about only shooting patch and round balls.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-30 Waters View Post
    I am curious why you can't shoot a pure lead mini or LEE REAL bullet in the barrel?
    Company lawyers. If the legal department had their way it would only be for static display.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Bub
    Update,
    I sent the barrel back today, the dealer is sending me another one. They have been first class through this.
    I sure hope this one is good, the fitting thing I see is up to me and that is no problem. I'll let you know how it is.
    David

Boolit Master
    The only GM barrel I have is one of the special sales $100.00 54 flint (about a 28 ga) smooth bore for the TC Hawken. It was a no muss no fuss fit, dropped right in my old style stock and shoots ball or shot great.

I never had an interest in the TC Hawkens until several years ago when I spotted an old one in a gun shop rack that didn't look right because of the 32" barrel. I dropped a bore light down the muzzle and the bore with sharp rifling looked like a mirror. Pushed the key out and it was stamped "Orion" on the bottom flat. (Orion, AKA Montana Barrel Co made drop in barrels for the TC) Think I paid 125 bucks for the rifle and it turned out to be one of the most accurate flinters I own.

I have a .54 and a .58 with the IBS, and they are both tack drivers. They supposedly use a fairly soft steel for various reasons, and they state the max charge ( in the .54 and .58 at least) of 120 FF with a PRB. Bullets would raise the pressure considerably over a PRB. Minie's, etc, would probably be fine over a service charge of 50-60 grains of F or FF, since the barrels are heavier than standard musket barrels, but you will get VERY abrupt trajectories at <1000 fps. Either caliber will generally kill better with a PRB, especially in the slow twist - minies and maxis would tumble badly in the flesh, and probably not penetrate as well as the ball. Note that is after impact - they may group fine on paper.

Alan

Boolit Bub
    hope it all works out! I was thinking of getting a smooth bore barrel from green mountain now Im not so sure

Boolit Bub
    Yesterday I recieved the replacement barrel for the one that had burrs in it. The last digits on the serial number is five larger. I have to say it isn't even in the same class. This one seems perfect. It has the cleanout screw where the other one didn't, the rifling is blued at least at the muzzle. The finish is even better. The inside is the smoothest I have run a patch down, all the way from muzzle to breech. No tight or loose spots.
    I'm jazzed. Tonight I'll get it mounted and tomorrow will shoot it if the snow isn't too deep. Fresh black powder, new RWS primers. I hope I hold up my part.
    David

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a happy ending to a frustrating story. I have a GM .54 for my T/C and it shoots like a laser. Top shelf quality. For those barrels that are beyond useful service, there is always Bob Hoyt from Pa. He can take an old sewer pipe and make it a smooth bore or rifled to your twist rate of choice.

Boolit Bub
    725, Now that is interesting. I have seen some that I would like to have done that to.
    Does he have an address or phone # to reach him?
    I appreciate the information,
    David

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I have a .54 and a .58 with the IBS, and they are both tack drivers. They supposedly use a fairly soft steel for various reasons, and they state the max charge ( in the .54 and .58 at least) of 120 FF with a PRB. Bullets would raise the pressure considerably over a PRB. Minie's, etc, would probably be fine over a service charge of 50-60 grains of F or FF, since the barrels are heavier than standard musket barrels, but you will get VERY abrupt trajectories at <1000 fps. Either caliber will generally kill better with a PRB, especially in the slow twist - minies and maxis would tumble badly in the flesh, and probably not penetrate as well as the ball. Note that is after impact - they may group fine on paper.

Alan
    Alan,

This is Green Mountains response to my question: Given the Green Hill Formula, can I use a 310 grain Buffalo Ball-et in your 1:70 twist, 54 caliber barrel

Hi David:

You can use this ammo in the barrel you inquired about. It would be more accurate with a faster twist barrel like the .54 LRH 1:28

Dennis Paladino
    Dealer Sales Coordinator
    Green Mountain Rifle Barrel
    603-447-1095 x11
    dpaladino@gmriflebarrel.com