Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .405 Winchester

Been playing around with my original Winchester 1895 TD Deluxe a little bit before the snow flew this year. As soon as I get enough melt to be able to drag all my equipment back to the range, I'll be back at it. Started out with some Hawk bullets, but they didn't work out to well, then went on to Woodleigh 300 gr SN moving around 2150 fps, which is really darn close to the original factory ammo and was done with H322.

I got into casting some pistol bullets for my S&W 625 JM, S&W 27,and S&W 57, the rifles followed shortly after starting with the .405 Winchester. Amazingly enough the barrel slugged at .4125 and I got a sizing die at .413 for my Lyman 4500. I was having difficulties finding a decent source for gas checks, so I went to Pat Marlin and order a PB Checkmaker and then requested (Tom?) Accurate Molds to make a PB 411325 mold for me.

The PB Checkmaker and the mold arrived in fairly short order,so I began to cast boolits from COWWs that had a BHN of 12-14 after 10 days AC. At that point I would size and check the boolits, then heat treat about 50 at a time at 425F for 1 hour and then immediately dump them into room temperature water for cooling. After 7 days these have a BHN of between 18-22, depending on if they were in the middle or on the edge of the basket and then lubed with a 50/50 of beeswax and NGLI.

This was the last target I shot before the snow flew which is not the greatest, but am still working on the loads.

Still have some Woodleigh's left paired up with some of the cast loads for a little comparison.

Like I said, still working on the loads and may even switch to a different powder and may even try sizing them to .414. I do have a Ruger #1 in .405 Winchester, but have that reserved for some Barnes 300 gr TSX I worked up to a chono'd 2550 fps and have only been able to recover one fully flowered slug that was buried about 24" into a wet sand berm from 100 yards. I don't believe penetration to be too much of a problem with this load. Good luck and stay safe.
    Last edited by hockeynick39; 02-06-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have the exact same 325gr Accurate mold, but mine was made to accept the Hornady .416 gas check.
    With 43 grains of Rel 7 I have chronographed it at 2000 fps. I am using 80% WW and 20% Lino with Carnauba Red lube. Sized .414 in the Ruger I am getting no leading..The Nose also fits very tight..
    I have not tried this load in my Winchesters yet.. That will be the next project..
    With the Ruger I can usually get three shot into 1.5" at 100 yds.Sometime better.
    I do water drop the bullet too..
    I think if I weighed all the bullets it might help some too.
    I am using a large block brass double cavity mold, and most of the bullets look great..
    The groups are always nice and round..I use Fed 210 BR primers.
    I love your rifle Hockeynick39
    I have two originals made in 1913 they both have perfect bores..
    One has a rifle stock with a cresent buttplate. I use it for hunting because I could care less about the recoil when I hunt.. One shot usually.. The other is a Shotgun butt rifle stamped Lyon,and Lyon Calcutta India.I assume it was used to hunt tigers back in the day..

I love the .405 win and it's rich history with Theodore Roosevelt..
    It is still one hell of a round..
    It has been very deadly on everything I have used it on, within the expected range of use..
    I guess you can tell it is one of my three favorite cartridges in existence. The other two are the .45/70 and the .308 win.
    I also love the .270 win ,but I only use it for killing..
    Last edited by Clay M; 02-06-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    What great posts guys!!!

Bob

Boolit Master
    I have been told that Rel 10 is also a great powder for the .405 win. I will get around to trying it sooner or later. Rel 7 has been fantastic. I like to load the round with cast bullets to around 2000fps.. The recoil is still manageable and the accuracy very good..

Boolit Master
    Resurfacing this thread as I enjoyed reading it. Maybe some of you will update it as well. My 405 is waiting to be fed
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Another bump for a great thread...

I have been neglectful of my .405s...a shoulder injury last year slowed things up quite a bit. Going to mainly shoot cast bullets out of mine now...

Anyone hunting with their .405 this year?

Bob

Probably, but going to be re-visiting this with some IMR 3031 to see if I can get some better groups.

Boolit Master
    My poor .405s have been sitting unshot for too many years...hoping to remedy that shortly...
    How about the rest of you guns...still hunting with yours?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12