WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady 45-70 brass solution

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You are not using the original government 500 grain bullet.
    I am sure you can find a way to cram a 700 grain flat nose bullet into a 45-70 case. But it is not the original configuration of the 45-70 500 grain load.
    EDG - What's the COL on the "original" configuration?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    I assume you are talking about Hornady factory supplied ammo when you say the COL is too long. Seems odd that factory ammo would not cycle through the Marlin coming straight from Hornady. I thought that was why they shortened the case, so it could be used in modern lever guns.

I can understand having the clearing problem if you were trying to reload long Leverevolution bullets in conventional brass and using the crimp groove on the bullet.
    No sir, I was actually talking about the idea of loading the Hornady bullet on a normal lengthen case. The Hornady cartridge has the shorter case and will cycle through my 1895 Cowboy Marlin.
    Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Boolit Master

I usually like Hornady brass/products, but I will never buy any of their shortened 45-70. A poor idea in my book.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    I usually like Hornady brass/products, but I will never buy any of their shortened 45-70. A poor idea in my book. Cat
    I wouldn't say a very useful improvement in ballistics in a lever gun was a poor idea my friend.
    Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rafsob View Post
    I wouldn't say a very useful improvement in ballistics in a lever gun was a poor idea my friend.
    I would agree with you, except for the shortened case. Very un-useful. Anti-useful? A useful-ectomy? Doesn't work for me, I know that.

I certainly don't mind the advance in ballistics. But surely they could have figured out a way to do it without making the bastard brass?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Well said. I don't think they did the shooting industry a good turn with the leverevolution stuff. Would have been much better received if they'd standardized on the regular case. Some folks like it, some don't.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Mold
    I just ran into this shortened Hornady brass issue... Ibaize3's solution to crimp using a 45 Colt seat/crimp die worked absolutely perfect!

I just threw the 20 empties i had in the drawer and bought Starline. Less fuss since i dont have a 45 colt seating die.
    And welcome to the forum. So much useful info here.

Hornady die.s for the 45-70 are the same as the 450 Marlin to work with this short brass issue, like loading .357 mag with .38 Spl dies it is just a die adjustment, I do not see why the 450 Marlin die set would not be a solation to the issue

Boolit Master
    I can load and shoot 555gr. flat points in my Marlin 45/70, I think it's not smart for a company to bring out short brass because they have some funny bullet they need to fit it to. My Redding dies easily crimp def. length cases including for my .45/100.