MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1858 Remington / 45LC Conversion cylinders

the grip thing is exactly why i like the 1860 model colt pistolas . the grip frame is larger for my larger hands. i have a brass frame 1858 remington and it bumps my finger to bleeding from full loads in cap-n-ball style.

getting the urge to order another '60' and resume the pistoleering fun n games. gotta love the smell and thunder of bp thru a revolver huh???

Boolit Master
    Well my 1858 /8" came in from Cabelas......I already have one from 20 years ago. The difference in quality of machining and fit and finish is amazing. The new Pietta is 100 times better than the 20 year old one.

Anyways, The Kirst cylinders from my Sheriff models fit right in and needed zero work to function beautifully.

Using a Dremel and a 1/2" grinding wheel I had the loading slots cut in a jiffy.

Took them to the range...The older Pietta has adjustable sights and the new one doesn't.

At 25 feet, standing, two hand grip, both revolvers were shooting into many one hole groups! each bullet hole simply cutting the previous one! Amazing!

This was with Cowboy 45 brass and 170g Big Lube bullets over both 3.5g Trail Boss and 16g FF Black Powder.

Next I moved to the 50 yard gong we have at the range. This is an 8" disc hung by chains. The adjustable site revolver hit the plate 6 out of ten shots. And I never adjusted the sites from the last time I shot it as a Cap and Ball revolver which was over 5 years ago!

The "none sighted" revolver was a bit more of a challenge. But I hit the plate a few times.

So now my collection is a p[air of Brasser 1851, a pair of Kirst converted 1860 5.5" barrels. a pair of 1858 Sheriff 95.5" barrels) and these two "Buffalo" pistols.......Gotta love these C&B revolvers!

Pictures later....Sorry
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

bigted,
    You might want to try what worked for me with the 1858 grip bite. When I used the 2 finger grip, the top finger would ride up and contact the trigger guard and generally not be a firm grip to start anyway. I put a rubber wedge that gave my top finger a stop area and cushion for recoil/rebound. Now when I grab or draw quickly there is no problem where the little finger goes because there's no choice it only fits in one place and the contact with the trigger guard has been eliminated. Hope the pictures help.

Ramar

thats a dandy idea...will try it, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12