WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereTitan Reloading

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Cleaning lead from bores.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    When I was shooting a lot of .38 Special lead bullets through my Ruger GP100, it would lead up terribley. This was around 1990 and Outers sold a reverse electroplaiting kit that would remove lead or copper. The first time I used it I was AMAZED how much lead it removed from the cylinder bores and the barrel AND it didn't harm the finish on them.

Over the years, I've used it on any firearm that leaded up.

BUT last year I used almost all of the leadout and tried to buy some only to find out that Outers no longer manufactures it! So I did a search on the internet, found a website that gave the chemicals for the solution, then bought them from an online place in PA called Post Apple Scientific, Inc. 8893 Gulf Road, North East, PA 16428Phone: 814-725-3330 ( http://www.postapplescientific.com/ ). The water is distilled water (I found it at the loacl gorcery store!). The chemicals are lead acetate ACS crystals 100 G bottle and liquid amonia acetate .010% solution in a 500 ml bottle.

I can't find the website right now but it was pretty straight forward as to the mixture of water to crystals to liquid chemical.

I haven't as yet mixed the chemicals together though but from people who mixed their own said it worked exactly like Outers Leadout.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Plus-solution
    PS: I just did a search and wouldn't you know it, there is a post telling how much to mix each cemical!
    I bought a used Outers "Foul Out II" at a gun show for $10, but it had no solution with it, so I did a bit of research and here is what I found ...

Replacement bore cleaning solutions for the Outers Foul Out electronic bore cleaner

Outers Cop Out Plus solution contain approximately 0.6 percent cupric acetate and 2.5 percent ammonium acetate (3.62 grams/ liter of copper acetate and 38.5 grams/liter of ammonium acetate) in distilled/deionized water.

The Lead Out Plus contains approximately 2 percent lead acetate and 5 percent ammonium acetate (6.50 grams/liter of lead acetate and 38.5 grams/liter of ammonium acetate ) in distilled/deionized water.

Here are the formulas to make each of them:

Copper Solution

562.3 grains Ammonium Acetate
    51.3 grains Copper Acetate or 58.3 grains Cupric Acetate Monohydrate
    Add distilled (or high megohm deionized) water to make 1 Qt.

Lead Solution

562.3 grains Ammonium Acetate
    95.0 grains Lead Acetate or 110.8 grains of Lead Acetate Trihydrate
    Add distilled (or high megohm deionized) water to make 1 Qt.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

You used to be able to buy a commercially made "Lead Removal Cloth" (I think it was made by Kleen Bore?), but I haven't seen them for sale for years now. Again, I made a trip to the Internet and Voila!

I copied this formula off another forum for making Lead Removal Cloth. It is said to duplicate commercial lead
    removing cloths.

500 gr - 400 grit or finer aluminum oxide powder
    450 gr - kerosene or #2 fuel oil
    4 gr - lemon oil
    5 gr - ammonium chloride
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456