Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Aluma Hyde? How well has it worked for you?

Boolit Grand Master

Aluma Hyde? How well has it worked for you?

As the title indicates, I am looking for some info on using this stuff. I have a pair of S&W M-10 gunsmith specials that I got from J&G in AZ that I have re-barreled but which need some help finish wise. I looked at cerakote, but that requires a bunch of preparation (involving tools I don't have, eg. sand blasting equipment) seemingly not required by the Brownells product. So I'm looking for some help here.

Pics would be nice, too!
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-24-2022 at 07:59 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Benelli used Aluma Hyde II on a barrel repair on a SBE of mine. They did the whole barrel with Aluma Hyde II. Initially I was not very happy but it has held up very well. That was 5 years ago. That shotgun is my primary waterfowl gun and it is hunted hard. It has held up very well.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-24-2022 at 10:05 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I've used Dura- coat( Lauer) and the old GunKote and they've lasted pretty well. I'm no help on the Alumahyde, sorry.
    I've seen those gunsmith specials- very tempting. Where did you get the barrels that you used?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with Alumahyde II. I have a Star Mod. B 9mm pistol that was rusty when I purchased it. I cleaned the rust off and it was fairly presentable, but about every 3-4 months it would start to rust again. I think it was because I carried it very close to my hot body under a jacket where conditions were sometimes humid. Finally I decided to refinish it to seal the surface against moisture. I looked at all the available systems, as you are doing, and came up with Alumahyde II as being the most practical solution. It's been about 8 years now, and other than a little paint flaking off at the notch in the slide that holds it open and right around the magazine release button the finish remains intact. It's not the most beautiful finish available, but is certainly practical, relatively inexpensive, and has overall held up well for being carried about 4 days a week. Read and follow the directions carefully. Better to apply several thin coats over several days than to try and do it in one session. After the last coat let it dry/cure for several days before using.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006573.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	298135

DG

Cerakote, air or oven cure, should be put on a sand blasted surface to be durable. It takes broken granule sand with sharp edges to create the proper surface.

I have never found Alumahyde to produce a satisfactory finish. Is is intended as a touch up, not a refinishing material. Rattle cans are worthless, like painting you car with a brush and enamel paint.

I just got a Rem 700 in that someone rattle canned the whole gun, all together, and everywhere, with 3 coats of rattle can enamel paint, then clear coated, pardon, if I am aggravated by a dumb but. Gez…..
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I've used Aluma-Hyde II several times over the past 15 years with excellent results each time. I find it durable and easy to maintain. Hoppes #9, CLP, Kroil don't hurt it.

My prep procedure is pretty thorough, however. Lots of cleaning/rinsing, repeat, with Dawn Oxy dish soap and hot water (wearing rubber dish washing gloves). I use a clean plastic bristled brush. I do not touch the metal with bare hands after cleaning. I like to heat the metal with a hand-held hair dryer prior to applying.

This is way beyond what the instructions show for preparation. Its much like the same procedure recommended for using their Oxpho Blue paste. I used Oxpho several times prior to Aluma-Hyde II and had excellent results, so I stuck with the same prep-procedure.

That was a great deal more info than asked, but thought it may be helpful.

Isaac

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good results with Aluma Hyde II over the years. The key aspects are surface prep to include thorough degreasing (Dawn dish detergent followed by water rinse then acetone solvent flush) and then several thin coats. Final aspect is to set the coated firearm aside for s couple of weeks at a minimum (longer is better) to allow a full cure.

I've used it with good results, and am happy with the durability over time.

Name:	SAM_3934.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	298201

Name:	SAM_3945.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	298202
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold

Aluma Hyde? How well has it worked for you?

I’ve had good luck with it as well. My only complaint is that even the brand new cans don’t seem to have a good shelf life. My basement does get pretty cold, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I’ve done a Browning A Bolt II, a Henry .22, and several shotgun barrels.

I’m wondering how well it would work on the cylinder of a revolver because it does have some thickness to it. Would love to hear back if you decide to try it.

I used Gun Scrubber and/or brake cleaner, brush where needed, don’t touch with bare hands, apply warm, and let it dry, the longer the better (several days depending on temp. and humidity) til it’s good and cured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I baked the parts of my M37 in the oven per the directions on the can. Worked well and there wasn't any real bad out gassing smell in the kitchen while doing it.

Name:	SAM_3939.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	298213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3936.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	298214
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I've used Dura- coat( Lauer) and the old GunKote and they've lasted pretty well. I'm no help on the Alumahyde, sorry.
    I've seen those gunsmith specials- very tempting. Where did you get the barrels that you used?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

One I had, an old M-64 barrel I got a while back from a fellow on ebay who sold parts from firearms destroyed by court order. The other I got from Jack First but it was pretty spendy, $143 by the time it got to my house.

It would probably have been cheaper to track down a 4 inch bbl and replace the extractor rod assy on the cylinder. The guns themselves, while the finish is worn, are pretty tight mechanically. I suspect they were foreign police guns. Mine are both 1990s era production.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-26-2022 at 10:47 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.