Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barska Scopes Good or Bad?

Boolit Master

Wink

The only Barska I own is on a .220 swift, so far it's held up well, it's a 6.5x24.
    As far as the "new" redfields, I used 2 on the 7x57s I built for my wifes grandsons for graduation presents (twins). Both are 2x7's & if I needed to replace one on one of my rifles these would get a real hard look.

May be a while though, I still have bout half a dozen "old" redfields for back up.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Banned

Smile Barska scopes

What I have to offer to this topic is that looking back over 40 plus years of shooting with optics I have never regreted buying good quality scopes such as Leupolds, Unertls, El Paso Weavers and Denver Redfields. Wished I had all the money I spent trying cheap scopes back to spend over again on a couple of good ones. Would coach a shooter with limited funds to look at the Redfield Revolutions, and VX1 Leupolds, used scopes such as Leupold Vari x 2's. Cabelas has a smoking deal going on both right now and checking the classifieds on sites like the 24hour campfire and the Accurate boards will yeild some buys on the older VariX scopes. As to having a cheap rifle/ good scope, I am in that camp. My go to rifle is a 1903 Springfield that I have $75 in with a 3x9 Leupold on top. Russ

Boolit Master
    i to have spent a small fortune on cheap scopes, i finally learned. last year i purchased a Redfield 2x7 for my marlin 30-30. it's best scope that i have ever owned, the low end scopes i leave to my rimfires, but for my other's i chose Redfield, to me they are the best bang for the buck. the thing with a cheap scope is they will fail when you least expect it, like when a big buck step's out and you completely miss him. but i have a friend that loves his BSA on his 300wm, and i have shot it many times, and it works very well, but there's alway's that thought in the back of my mind. i think you should spend as much on the scope as you did the rifle.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Barska scope on my AK-47. It's the 8x32 with 50mm objective lens and IR. I've never used a scope before and thought this would be a tack driver. However I have it mounted to the UTG 3rd generation mount slid over the side plate on my receiver. That mount sucks. It is not centerline adjustable and I ran out of left windage to try to get it to zero. I've found a new mount for about $35.00 that is centerline adjustable but I need to sell this mount before I can get another one. The Barska scope is a good one with good optics. It's just the mount that sucks. So my recommendation is that Barska is a good scope but the UTG quick mount will not do; like I said it sucks 'cause you can't get it centered over the bore of the rifle. Live and learn as they say. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    i to have spent a small fortune on cheap scopes, i finally learned. last year i purchased a Redfield 2x7 for my marlin 30-30. it's best scope that i have ever owned, the low end scopes i leave to my rimfires, but for my other's i chose Redfield, to me they are the best bang for the buck. the thing with a cheap scope is they will fail when you least expect it, like when a big buck step's out and you completely miss him. but i have a friend that loves his BSA on his 300wm, and i have shot it many times, and it works very well, but there's alway's that thought in the back of my mind. i think you should spend as much on the scope as you did the rifle.
    Being on a fixed income and no work keeps me at the low end scopes. I have used BSA's weaver, Simmons, Tasco and so far the only one that has failed was a Simmons. My cousin has a Tasco 3x9 40mm on his 45/70 marlin and it has never failed after 20 years. I guess it is the luck of the draw. If I could afford a 150.00+ scope I sure would give her a try. Til things get better I am stuck with the low end ones.

Boolit Master

I am now in Brstevn's group of people, my income is fixed, so I have to save up for a while for some toys and others I put a Barska scope on it. I did put a Leupold on my R 10/22T rifle, great combination. But on my Moisin M91/30, I put a Burris pistol scope, it was left over from one of my Contenders. Recycling makes you creative.

Currently I have a 700c in 300 RUM that has a BSA scope on it, never had a problem. I was given a Savage Striker in 22LR for Christmas, NIB. I just order an AimPoint scope to put on it. For the 148 yards that I can shoot in my backyard it should work for me.

Over the years, I picked up an Army issue type of scope for my AR15, this was from the time of Vietnam era M16A rifles. It looks like something that CTD would sell cheap, rugged as hell. Fixed 4 power.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Miestro_jerry if it looks like this it may be a colt 3x20 -or- 4x20

and worth some bucks to the collector crowd if original

problem is there are lots of knockoffs to the colt scope.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-31-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used Bushnells for years with few problems. BTW, You can still pick up a decent 3X9 Denver Redfield for $100, or less, plus shipping on Fleabay. Just wait until hunting season is over. My last one was only $68.00. Had a film of some sort on the back of the objective lens, so nobody wanted it. Carefully removed the lens and CAREFULLY cleaned it with 50% (never more) isopropol alcohol. Purged the tube with nitrogen as I re-installed it, and set the focus/no-parrallex for 100 yds. I am just sentimental toward the older Redfields. Always wondered if Leupold slipped the head EPA guy some $$$. Surely not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GT27 View Post
    I've drooled over Sheperd,Leupold,Nikon,Trijicon ...,it makes no good economic sense to me to put more into the optic's than the rifle itself!Not bashing those that do!To each their own! I agree try to put as many coins into optics as you can afford,but why put a $2000.00 scope on a $500.00 rifle? Don't make sense to me.
    I hear ya, be a cold day in Hades when I put a hundred dollar saddle on a twenty dollar horse.

Has anyone tried the 3x9 40mm Huntmaster Barska? This would be used on a marlin 30/30

Boolit Master

I have a NC Star illuminated pistol scope 4x I got when I bought a Smith&Wesson 22 A and the scope came with it. I do not like high power scopes on handguns so I put it on a K31 I had with a scout mount. When I sold the K31 I took the scope off and sent a 2x Simmons as I wanted the 4x for my Swedish Mauser Scout set up. Now that Simmons worked just fine with the Swede and so does the N Star and the N star held up just fine with the K31 also. Not saying all cheap scopes are good but I have never had a bad one yet and they suffice just fine. I do have a Leupold 4x 8 MK compact on my Henry 22 mag lever gun and it is a nice scope but I like others here have said I really cannot telll that much of a difference between my Tasco's and Bushnells and Weaver scopes.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Hello,

The Barska 'scope I had before I bought my Mueller for my target .22 was OK, but it was dark.

I would not spend the money for another.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    Not saying a man can't find good deals on good scopes (I picked up an M8 2.5 Leupy about a year ago for $135). But by and large, I'd rather have a good peep sight (or a 2.5x Leupold) on any gun than the biggest $100 (new) variable made.
    Another problem with a Barska, BSA, Tasco, etc., is, at least around here, if you trade the rifle, most folks won't figure cheap brand scopes into the price. They're gonna take it off and chunk it in the ".22 scope" pile. If you like the scope, take it off and no worries. Leupolds, Burris', Nikons, etc. do have some trade in value; whether you bought it new or used.

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Not saying a man can't find good deals on good scopes (I picked up an M8 2.5 Leupy about a year ago for $135). But by and large, I'd rather have a good peep sight (or a 2.5x Leupold) on any gun than the biggest $100 (new) variable made.
    Another problem with a Barska, BSA, Tasco, etc., is, at least around here, if you trade the rifle, most folks won't figure cheap brand scopes into the price. They're gonna take it off and chunk it in the ".22 scope" pile. If you like the scope, take it off and no worries. Leupolds, Burris', Nikons, etc. do have some trade in value; whether you bought it new or used.
    That would not be a problem, If I do sell the rifle I always take the scope off first.
    It seems as if a scope is a personal thing and everyone has a brand they like better then the scope that is on a gun to start with. Does that make sense?

I have a Barska spotting scope. it works OK.

I have a Cheap $79.95 Leapers 1-4x with illiminated reticle airgun scope mounted on my Mini 14.

I have shot nearly 500 rounds thru that gun since it was zeroed and it is still right on.

The only thing I can say about cheap scopes is use them until the cack. You are only out a few bucks. I use them where the gun will be banged around and I don't really care if they get damaged.

That said, if that cheap one on my Mini cacks It will be replaced with a Leupold!

I think optics on a rifle should reflect the stature of the rifle. I see no reason to put a $500 scope on a $500 gun. However a really nice hunting rifle should have a decent scope.

There are plenty to choose from. any name brand scope above $200 is probably pretty decent.

When the Chinese learn how to COPY "quality",,, we will have a new force to be reconned with.

Barskas are "essentially chinese" even though they say Russian. I'd say far South Eastern Russia.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Will I got a 3x9 40 mm silver huntmaster. will see how long she last.

Boolit Master
    the worst scope i've ever had was a brand called Famos Maker. i got it off Ebay nib for $60, it was 6x24x44AO. it was ok from 6 tru 10 power, but after that it got so blury you could barely make out a target at 50yds. but i did use it on a few rifles that did'nt have scopes at the time to work up loads, and it did hold zero week after week on the hi-powers. i sold it for $25, and the guy that has it now really likes it, he's killed a few deer with it the last couple years. so it was'nt all that bad.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    This afternoon was debating buying a BSA Sweet .223 6-18x40 for an AR, as I had previously had a Sweet 17 on a Rossi single shot.

I've had crappy scopes, you don't realize it, but you strain to look through them. The first time I looked through a high power leu, it jacked with my concentration, I felt like I was out at the 200 with the target.

Anyway, google-fu took me to places like "the high road", and opticstalk.com, and it was, word for word, this same conversation, except for the initial brand questioned.

Younger guy's can still see, and like to think they can get by for the most part. Some do, many don't.

You get a few years on you and you just don't feel like having another problem with something that you have an emotional investment in and invest in quality glass.

Just remember though, that younger, hungrier, shooter just coming up is going to be *real* glad to get his hands on that hunk of cr@p you spent good money on someday when you either give it to him or sell it at a drastically reduced rate.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Barska 20x-60x spotting scope. It is serviceable, and considering the price (under $80 a couple years back) I can't complain a whole bunch. If you shoot larger calibers at shorter ranges, it will likely be adequate. 22 caliber at 300 yards? Fuggetaboutit, not nearly sharp or bright enough to resolve 22 hits past 200 yards in good light.

Life is too short to put up with inadequate scopes on rifles. Or shooting benches.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

a few years back i bought a nef 243 and put a $75 nc star scope on it went to sight it in after about 20 rounds decided it must just be me. 5 rd 5in group. a couple of days later a freind went with me and we tried again i was shooting almost a foot to the right, he shot almost 6in to the left? i had him tap the scope while i looked and you could see the hairs moving back and forth. so i bought another (couldnt get the warrity hadnt made it yet) $65 on a different model it was good 3in group at 100yrds!!! we went yote hunting that evening and boom i shot 2ft over his back, loaded another shell and wiss 2ft over and a couple in front. (friend was laughing that i needed more practice). stewed on that for a week till i could get back out to shoot. i couldnt hit the paper!!! (the paper was 2ftx3ft) i had had it. bought a nikon prostaff 3x9-40 for $130 on sale!! friend dont laugh when we go hunting anymore... i spent more in ammo and time messing with a cheep scope than a good one cost. IMO save a little longer. good luck and good shooting with whatever you decide.
    man who pees uphill gets feet wet with experience

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast