Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barska Scopes Good or Bad?

Barska Scopes Good or Bad?

Does anyone have any experience with Barska scopes? Like to hear good or bad.

Boolit Master

I really like my Barska scope(s.
    They are on all my rifles.
    They take recoil well.

got a 4-16 variable on my 308 and i'm happy with it.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master

I hate to be the party-pooper but mine was so bad optically, I sent it back to Midway. Complained about extremely poor optics and they just gave me immediate credit. No questions asked.

Couldn't see .44 caliber bullet holes at 100 yards on a clear sunny day.

Merry Christmas.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    My friend had a Barska spotting scope. I couldn't focus it.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a Barska Scope 3 X 9 X 40mm

On sale at MidWay. Kept it about 2 yrs without actually mounting it on a rifle. Went to the range for the 1st time to actually try out the scope. When I attempted to bore sight the rifle, when I'd move the elevation and windage knobs , they both " free wheeled ", no ability to move the cross hairs.

I tossed the scope in the garbage can ( because that is where it belonged ). That was my last " cheap scope ".

Ben

Boolit Master
    Tried two. First was an AR scope. Can you say "Parallax"? Points of impact shifted without adjusting the scope depending on range. Total ****.

Second was a 6x18 that I tried on my 300 whisper. Eye relief was not constant, hard to focus, adjustments not reliable. I will not buy another.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

On Heaven's Range

It's still true that we generally get what we pay for.

Barska, BSA, Simmons and other rock-bottom-price optics aren't worth the time and effort.....or money. Occasionally an example will more-or-less satisfy the buyer. However, the odds of it continuing to satisfy are slim. Not only do the mechanics of the instrument tend to fail, but the optical performance is poor compared to better instruments.

Once we pass the (approximate) $180 price level, quality becomes rather good. Shopping around is also very useful. I recently bought a new Pentax 4.5-14X "Pioneer" scope for less than $200 (Ebay)), and it's a very good sight. A new Redfield 2-7X ($135!) is a surprisingly good scope on my daughter's 7mm-08 Browning, too....maybe one of the best buys out there, and certainly an exception to that $180 figure posted above.

I have a TASCO 6-24 which is used purely for load development, where a scope problem won't ruin an important hunt. Thats the ONLY place where I'll use a cheapo scope, and decent optics are used on all my rifles which might see the hunting fields. This even includes my .22 rimfires.
    Last edited by BruceB; 12-22-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    My sister had one on her Savage .22. When she went to 5 power it stayed there. Ring turned but power stayed the same. Strange.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master

I won't ever get another Barska scope. I ordered a 4 X 16 Ridgeline direct from Barska with the side parallax adjustment. I got it and went to test the variable power and parallax. The parallax adjustment would bring either the horizontal crosshair or vertical crosshair into focus but not both. The yardage markings would not correspond to the numbers on the adjustment wheel and to add insult to injury, when I tried to adjust the focus with the "Fast Focus" eyebell the crosshairs would move the point of impact.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Well I can't complain about the plinker or the 30X60X90 spotter I have. The plinker is spot on and has flawlessly put lead on target for me. As for the 30X60X90....That durn thing will spot a knats *** at a 1000 yards.
    Last edited by P.K.; 12-22-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Didn't want to offend.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bruce, I think Leopold is making the Redfields now.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    It's still true that we generally get what we pay for.

Barska, BSA, Simmons and other rock-bottom-price optics aren't worth the time and effort.....or money. Occasionally an example will more-or-less satisfy the buyer. However, the odds of it continuing to satisfy are slim. Not only do the mechanics of the instrument tend to fail, but the optical performance is poor compared to better instruments.

Once we pass the (approximate) $180 price level, quality becomes rather good. Shopping around is also very usedul. I recently bought a new Pentax 4.5-14X "Pioneer" scope for less than $200 (Ebay)), and it's a very good sight. A new Redfield 2-7X ($135!) is a surprisingly good scope on my daughter's 7mm-08 Browning, too....maybe one of the best buys out there, and certainly an exception to that $180 figure posted above.

I have a TASCO 6-24 which is used purely for load development, where a scope problem won't ruin an important hunt. Thats the ONLY place where I'll use a cheapo scope, and decent optics are used on all my rifles which might see the hunting fields. This even includes my .22 rimfires.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

On Heaven's Range

Yes indeedy....Leupold now owns the Redfield name, and (I think) warranties the Redfield instruments much as they do the "leupold" brand.

The Redfields are apparently made here in the USA, but it just might be that they are ASSEMBLED here....I don't now for sure.

Whatever the case may be, we now have two of the 2-7X scopes and both seem to be excellent. I would recommend them to anyone needing a decent sight at an affordable price.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Ive got a 6.5x20 varmint on a Savage 17HMR,have -0- problems with,bright and clear.My opinion its like buying a car,"luck o da draw"!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

That is my thinking, I cannot afford a 150.00 scope, 50.00 is a lot for me to spend. I have Simmons, BSA's and Bushnell's and never had a problem with any. Don't think I see well enough to see the difference.

Boolit Master

I bought one of those Barska sks scopes shot twice first after the second shot couldnt see through it any more looked at it and the lens fell out in my hand. are they all that way? I dont know but dont intend to buy any more to find out.

Boolit Grand Master
    That beats my experience, I never got the 1st shot off with mine !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    That is my thinking, I cannot afford a 150.00 scope, 50.00 is a lot for me to spend. I have Simmons, BSA's and Bushnell's and never had a problem with any. Don't think I see well enough to see the difference.
    There speaks someone who has never looked through a really decent scope.

If you get the chance to ................... do so and you will most probably be surprised.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    There speaks someone who has never looked through a really decent scope.

If you get the chance to ................... do so and you will most probably be surprised.
    I've drooled over Sheperd,Leupold,Nikon,Trijicon ...,it makes no good economic sense to me to put more into the optic's than the rifle itself!Not bashing those that do!To each their own! I agree try to put as many coins into optics as you can afford,but why put a $2000.00 scope on a $500.00 rifle? Don't make sense to me!!As long as you are happy with the clarity,accuracy,and durability what else is there?Just to say I've got a "so and so"! I'm not really a brand shopper to any extent anymore,the economics don't allow me that privilege anymore,but I know what I like,and usually don't have to 2nd mortgage my home to find what I need,not want,(there is a big difference in the two)!It's all in the time I've spent researching,nothing more!(Brstevns)- Your logic of thinking is inline with mine,! We all can't drive a Rolls Royce,but we can all get there!!
    Last edited by GT27; 12-22-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master

cost is an important consideration for me as well and I do appreciate the optics of the very high dollar Lamborghinis but its obvious I will never own one. However my 700 30-06 eats cheap scopes. so a 3 or 4 hundred dollar scope in the long run is less expensive. I am done trying to keep under a hundred dollar Tascos, Bushnells, Simmons .... the recoil breaks the cross hairs in them.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast