WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barska Scopes Good or Bad?

Boolit Mold
    I bought one to mount on a 10/22, and I have been a shooter all my life, this is the worst scope I have ever purchased, don't waste your money, just save up and buy a good scope.

Boolit Mold
    I killed a Barska a couple months ago, on of all things, a H&R Single shot 357 Magnum. Never again is what I say, I'm saving for a Leupold to replace it. Buy once cry once.
    Currently using HughesNet satellite. If I don't come back, you'll know the satellite exploded.

Boolit Grand Master
    Barska in my opinion is TOTAL JUNK !

Vendor Sponsor

When I see the Barska rep he puts his fingers in his ears as I say " Barska ..Russian for **** "
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

Junk !
    I have 2 of them, neither one lasted beyond 40 rounds of 30-06.
    Costs more to get repaired then what they are worth.

CPL Lou

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    When I see the Barska rep he puts his fingers in his ears as I say " Barska ..Russian for **** "
    Of all the possible jobs in the world, the last one I'd want would be a " Baraska Rep."

Ben

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have actually purchased a rifle I didn't particularly want simply because it had a Leupold scope mounted that I did want. I flipped the rifle and kept the scope. I do not regret that decision.

In case you're unaware, Barska is a Russian word used to describe the symptomology of venereal disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fitting..............

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I have a Barska 20x-60x spotting scope. It is serviceable, and considering the price (under $80 a couple years back) I can't complain a whole bunch. If you shoot larger calibers at shorter ranges, it will likely be adequate. 22 caliber at 300 yards? Fuggetaboutit, not nearly sharp or bright enough to resolve 22 hits past 200 yards in good light.

Life is too short to put up with inadequate scopes on rifles. Or shooting benches.
    I have one of those Barska scopes. Would love to get $50 plus shipping for it! Like you said, it works at 100 yards but the optics don't hold up well enough to resolve small holes at 300.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Read the first page and the last, I doubt if the 'inbetween' would make any difference to me. My first scope was a "Realist" 4x. Nice scope, but it did fog so I replace it with a Redfield (TV, USA made), 3-9 etc. That was replaced by a Leupold 6x, not necessary but bought into the hype. I have owned and used Burris, Bushnell, Weavers, Swift, Nikon, Vortex, Leupolds, BSA and Redfields. I have scoped springer air rifles to 300 win mags and know the limits of the glass I put on them. The country of origin does not really matter nor does the brand. I have had junk from all of them. And knowing what I do about marketing and distribution, price is NOT an indication of quality! Sorry folks, I know how the process works. It is the old Barnum and Bailey thing about fooling people. Buy what you can afford and if it doesn't work for you, move on to something else. It is all about choice and functionality. Oh yeah, I have used a SWFA and a Sheppard and they did the job but do you really need that on a Deer rifle?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I have 2 Barska 3x9s laying on my bench, total junk period. They look like brand new, they won't
    hold 0 between shots. I think they were $39.95. I didn't buy them both were off 44 mag rifles
    bought by same family. There are a lot of scopes on the market that aren't worth the boxes they
    come in. I have very little faith in any Chinese products. I have mounted more scopes for people
    in last 3 years than I did when in business. Ohio's new rifle deer season is the motivator. A lot of
    people know nothing about rifles let alone scopes. I keep telling these people they can pick up a
    used Weaver, Bushnell or even a Tasco for less and have something they can depend on. The impulse to buy new cheap scope with bells and whistles is hard to overcome. I was in business
    when Simmons came out. My distributor talked me into buying a dealer package of them. The
    returns on them would drive you to drink. I quit selling them and boxed them up and sent them
    back. You don't need $1000 glass on a deer rifle but you get what you pay for. For a few bucks
    more you can get rebuilt Burris, Nikon, ect with limited guarantee.

Boolit Master
    The best way to test any scope for durability is install it on a higher powered spring piston air rifle.If it survives that it will stand the recoil of any rifle that the average person would be willing to fire.I'm not sure I would try a Leupold on a spring piston air rifle though.

Banned

Boolit Master
    Last year , for my birthday, my daughters gave me a surprise birthday present. they gave me a CVLife 6-24x50 scope! OK, so it is not top drawer, but they are great and did not buy me sox and underwear.
    I did have a new Savage Bmag that needed glass, and I put the CV on it. It has worked great with about 500 rounds down the tube. I was pretty impressed with the construction of the new scope, that I asked the daughters where they bought it. Amazon, they giggled. Went to Amazon and found that they had busted their bank spending $33.00 for a new scope.
    I order another one and put it on my new CZ455 and it is working great on it as well. I don't think that it would last through many centerfire rounds, but for a very low recoiling rifle, so far so good.

Boolit Mold
    I hope Nikon is best

Banned
    I have a few old weavers and redfields plus some refurbished the only barska I have is a spotting scope and got to admit it is 12 years old and it has been dropped a few times but it still works not the best fov at 300 yds but you can still make out your target ok.

Boolit Master
    Sorry but your method is not acceptable. It is sort of a keep buying junk until you find something that works kind of like a blind hog finding an acorn now and then.
    My method seems to work everytime. Leupold scopes have a lifetime guarantee. If I can find a used one at a good price I buy it after careful examination. If a used one does not come a long I buy a new Leupold in the lower price range. So far I have never had a dud....

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Read the first page and the last, I doubt if the 'inbetween' would make any difference to me. My first scope was a "Realist" 4x. Nice scope, but it did fog so I replace it with a Redfield (TV, USA made), 3-9 etc. That was replaced by a Leupold 6x, not necessary but bought into the hype. I have owned and used Burris, Bushnell, Weavers, Swift, Nikon, Vortex, Leupolds, BSA and Redfields. I have scoped springer air rifles to 300 win mags and know the limits of the glass I put on them. The country of origin does not really matter nor does the brand. I have had junk from all of them. And knowing what I do about marketing and distribution, price is NOT an indication of quality! Sorry folks, I know how the process works. It is the old Barnum and Bailey thing about fooling people. Buy what you can afford and if it doesn't work for you, move on to something else. It is all about choice and functionality. Oh yeah, I have used a SWFA and a Sheppard and they did the job but do you really need that on a Deer rifle?
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Had a couple of tascos fail .got a Burris on my 308 that's lasted several 1000 rounds .have an AGS scope on my 357 win trapper for thousands of rounds over 10 years .recently put a Nikon on my 45/70 so far so good about 400 rounds so far.mind you once they're zeroed it leave them be except to vary the magnification.

In Remembrance

Some time ago, got an ultra-highpower variable Barska from amazon.ca thinking to put it on a long-range .50 cal. a pal is building. Temporarily mounted on his .300 WinMag it lasted for about a dozen rounds, then blooey! Save your money! Their little dot sight works well on a .22LR Contender tho'.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

if you like gambling, buy cheap scopes. IMO its cheaper in the long run to buy quality once. the savings in wasted time, blown hunts, wasted ammo, are priceless!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast