Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Spotting scope help!

Boolit Master

Question Spotting scope help!

Searched, but didn't find information that addressed my particular needs.

I have a Leupold Gold ring 15-30 X 50 spotter, that I bought 12+ years ago as a retirement present...It being all I could afford at that time, and it had better eye relief than the other scopes in my price range. I wanted to love that scope, but I've not been really happy with it, and figure the 50 mm objective diameter may be a limiting factor. Mostly, my experience has averaged about mildly frustrating.

I shoot my .357 and 22s, mostly at 50-75 yds, but love birding, too.

Can anyone recommend a 60-65mm Spotting scope ~$400, that may relieve my frustration?

Most of the gun shops/sporting goods stores around here have an amazingly limited, mostly high-dollar selection of scopes, and that includes Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse.

Will the Current Bushnell Sentry, or Spacemaster with a 20 X or 20-45 LER eyepiece be worth looking at?
    Thanx
    Last edited by sniper; 07-26-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Boolit Master

I like my Redfield Spotting Scope
    But to know more about your issue, what is specifically deficient with your present scope.
    Is eye relief a critical feature for you because the tripod wiggles??
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-25-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

I have several Kowas left over from High Power shooting 1) 77mm with 25x eye piece. 1) 88mm with 27x eye piece. I also have a meade telescope that's 90mm and 30x. Lately Im using a set of 25x 100mm celestron(?) binoculars for spotting.

The kowas are very good, on the heavy side but will show 30 cal holes at 300 yds normally.
    The Meade telescope is okay but bulkier shows bullet holes well but needs reverser between eye piece and scope as the image is reversed. On the plus side eye pieces are cheaper.
    The celestron binoculars are very good at spotting bullet holes, and hits and misses during shilouette matches. The big plus to these is both eyes work together saving strain and fatigue. Mine are mounted on a tripd and set up quickly and easily. both sides focus to each eye also

As important as the optics the stand is as or more so. a solid stand is important. The Kowas and meade are mounted on freeland stands with wind spikes to aid support. Th binoculars are on a heavy tripod. Trying to use a spotting scope that's shaking in the wind is hard.

Boolit Grand Master

When I bought my celestrons binoculars they were around $300.00. Watch the high power sites and or others for used spotting scopes a good used scope will save some money. the old unertal 20x X 60 were very good scopes. THe 60X X 1000mm team scopes would show 30 cal holes at 1000yds on good days

Moderator Emeritus

I have a vintage Bushnell Spacemaster (20-45x zoom) 60mm (Made in Japan by Baush & lomb).
    Now it doesn't have much eye relief, but when looking at 100 yds at 22 caliber holes, it's crystal clear and easy to see the holes in the target.
    These older spacemasters have a painted finish on a aluminum body, I've seen them on fleabay for $100 to $200,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Go to camera lands web site and send Doug an email telling what you want and how much you have to spend. They usually have specials going all the time and open box demos. They also get optics from newer companys that im not familiar with that are a great bang for the buck if you don't care about name. Doug is very knowlegable and knows glass and wont steer you wrong.

Boolit Mold
    For the very modest price and the needs you stated Konus scopes are quite good. I have the 80mm version.

Konus Konuspot-65 15-45x65mm Spotting Scope 7116 7116B KONUSPOT-65, Scope Body Type: Angled, 43% Off w/ Free S&H

Todd

Banned

Boolit Master
    You are asking too much for the money.
    Do a search for spotting scope reviews.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...d-rated#page-3

https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/70-...ing-Scopes.php

http:/http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

Optics manufacturers play a game of hide the football in regard to the resolution of sporting optics. There are standardized tests used by the Air Force for more than 50 years yet the manufacturers will never report how their products perform on these tests.

Air Force test target

http://www.optowiki.info/faq/how-to-...af1951-target/

Of the better scopes out there you will find it difficult to improve on your scope for less than about $1000. But please do not take my word for it. Ask a group of high power shooters or the owner of a company called Champions Choice. Most of the 77mm and larger Kowas will be better for you as well as the big 80mm and 100mm Pentaxs.

The premium German scopes are good but very expensive.

Your question takes a lot of work to answer with exact results.
    The only way to know is to test the scopes against each other and against a target. Unfortunately the cheapest of the top rated scopes are more than twice what you want to spend.

In used scopes 77mm TSN 1 or 77mmTSN 2 Kowa scopes often sell for about $400 with the 25X Long Eye Relief eye piece. However these scopes are now 20 to 30 years old and are not the top scopes they once were. I used one at a range long ago when $400 would buy a new one. It was far better than my old 1960s Swift Telemaster and my 22X Bausch & Lomb Elite.
    Last edited by EDG; 07-30-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I keep getting video ads for a scope that attaches to your cell phone camera. Anyone know if these things could be used as a spotting scope?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't know what kowas cost these days but if the quality is the same as when I bought mine . You would be very happy with one ..... once you got over paying for it of course .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter