RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barska Scopes Good or Bad?

Boolit Mold
    I have a 6.5x24x40, with 3" eye relief on my 300 win mag. (Winchester SXR) deadly combo, with @ JP Howitzer muzzle brake. I do have a min of poi @ 24 power. About 300 rounds target shooting, so good.

Boolit Master
    I've had Barskas, no major failures. The Bushnell Legend is a pretty good scope for the money. But it's not that much cheaper than a Redfield. Since Leopold brought out their Redfield line it's not logical to buy a Chinese made scope when you can have American for well under $200. I have found that Bushnell Sportviews in either 2.5 or 4X fixed are tough scopes, no leaks and decent optics. But then I like fixed power scopes. I'm hoping for a few from Redfield, 2.5, 4, and 6X would tickle me pink. Mental issue I guess, I don't trust variables for when it matters. My $60 BSA 36X fixed is aok for what it's for.

Probably be better off buying a old weaver steel tube. I got a 2-6V with a post reticle for my dad's 35 Rem $60 on evilbay. He loves it.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

On Heaven's Range

Except for a slight difference in degree, I agree with GT27.

As a "working man" (hourly-paid) for almost all my life, and right up to the present, I too find the carriage-trade brands too rich for my blood (and purposes!). swarovski, Zeiss and other such marques offer *me* nothing that warrants my spending the MANY dollars to buy one. They are wonderful instruments, without doubt, but not for me.

I have found that my buying patterns have changed over the years. I once used a goodly number of Bushnells and Weavers, for example.

The Bushnells mostly died in service, as did a Simmons spotting scope and a few Tascos (my rifles see a LOT of shooting). The Weavers were fine. As time passed, more and more I found myself mounting Leupolds on my rifles...and I have NEVER had a problem of any description with a Leupold scope. That spans over thirty years of experience! Fixed or variable, they just keep on truckin'.

There are now over a dozen Leupolds on my rifles, so the sample size is large enough to be considered valid.

I find it interesting, too, that USED Leupolds hold their value to a large degree. Check on Ebay and see what used Leupolds are going for, compared to other brands. This is very strong testimony FROM THOSE WHO ACTUALLY USE THE SCOPES, as to the real value -or lack of same- of the brand.

I'd rather buy ONE reliable mid-priced scope, rather than repeatedly replace or "sort of repair" a rock-bottom one. Personally, I don't think I can AFFORD to do the repeat buying of the bargain sights...but then, I am an utter and hopeless rifle nut, too, and fire a lot of rounds underneath my scopes.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    I have a 6-24x42 Barska on a .22-250, a 6x42 "Euro-30" Barska on a .30/06, and a Barska spotting scope. I haven't really beat any of them around, but they all have clear optics and haven't given me any problems yet.

I have had some good luck with some Barska - Binoc's and Scopes but in my experience it's best if you can go to a store and look thru 3-4 and pick the good one. So I would say Quality Control is Iffy - I bought one internet and had to send it back. Now just buy in person.

As far as BSA I have limited experience with them but I have several Cat's Eye versions that are holding up to 308 without problem and give reasonable picture. This is on lower powered variable. Never tried their high power. Tasco I have had about 50% positive, but you never know until you try 'em.

Friends have Wotac's and I'm not impressed. Bushnell usually pretty good. Leupold has never failed. I have looked thru Burris and Nightforce and for long distance shooting if you can afford them it's worth it.

Boolit Master
    I think Bruce and I share the same opinion.

In my humble opinion, the weapon is only as good as it's sighting system. Dont get me wrong, I have used and hunted bushnell's, weaver, pentax,simmons, etc. Some of them were fine and still see service. Some crudded out on the sighting bench during parallax testing. Luck of the draw.... maybe.

Although, If you have a base model savage, like I gave my sister for her first deer rifle, The rifle cost me 150.00 new from an academy that had a fire and were selling off the inventory with no warranty. I bought a 500.00 nikon 3.5-10 monarch gold with mil dot reticle and put it in Warne mounts. I have ABSOLUTE confidence in taking that little rifle anywhere anytime for anything.

Now take a rifle built for accuracy..... like the upper level Sako's or something of the like. Put a Simmons 3x9 on it in aluminum weaver mounts and go pack it for 3 days after Elk in the high country waiting for one shot. To quote someone elses signature "It is all a guess till the trigger is pulled."

Any rifle is only as good as it's optics.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    All speak the truth as we know it.

More people and animals through the years have fallen to open sights.

You can spend a fair amount of money on open sights also.

I use cheaper brand scopes and they work fine for what I want to do.
    I also learned along time ago it is better to know your rifle/load then to use, "the biggest/baddest/fastest".
    I prefer fixed power then, dope the bullets in.

I did buy a baska scope once. never again.

Boolit Master

I have 3 of the Barska scopes, never had any problem with them. If I want precision shooting I will buy Leupold scopes. If I am hunting in an area that does not give me extreme distances, less than 150 yards, most of the less expensive scopes work well for me.

I do check the scope out to see if everything is mechanically sound on the scope, before I mount them on my rifle.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

If you get a chance look on feebay there is couple guys sells a N star scope it a cheap one but I have 2 redfields and a nicon and the N star is every bit as clear at 1/10th the price. I have it on a 7mm/08 and about 100rds its still on and clear
    I have a barska on a 22 mag its still on ther but will come off soon . I dont have problen with the glass but the mounts dont let the scope move back far enough

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    If you get a chance look on feebay there is couple guys sells a N star scope it a cheap one but I have 2 redfields and a nicon and the N star is every bit as clear at 1/10th the price. I have it on a 7mm/08 and about 100rds its still on and clear
    I have a barska on a 22 mag its still on ther but will come off soon . I dont have problen with the glass but the mounts dont let the scope move back far enough
    Thanks I will take a look at the N star.

Boolit Grand Master

A friend of mine gave me a Nstar scope with lit reticle IIRC it was a 2X7 Pistol scope. I mounted it on my Encore with a 357 max Bbl on it to use for late evening hog hunts and went to sight it in. The very first shot caused the entire battery compartment and guts to fall out.

You get what you pay for...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I bought a N star scope once. That blue tint coating is **** for low light conditions. Not even good enough for a 22 IMO.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Banned

I too am with bruce. I worked to hard for my money to waste in on an inferior product. If i cant afford to buy a decent scope ill rob one from another gun or let the gun sit till i can say enough to buy a good scope. Im the same with loading and casting gear anymore. Ive wasted to much money thinking i was saving money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I too am with bruce. I worked to hard for my money to waste in on an inferior product. If i cant afford to buy a decent scope ill rob one from another gun or let the gun sit till i can say enough to buy a good scope. Im the same with loading and casting gear anymore. Ive wasted to much money thinking i was saving money.
    some of the wisest words I have heard or read in a long time.

Boolit Buddy

Barska Spotting scopes

What about their spotting scopes? Are they OK? I am looking at getting a large one 100 MM objective lens.

Boolit Buddy
    Great thread, I too watch the pennies and have many a cheap scope mounted on a rifle. I shoot mostly targets and an occasional whitetail and can't see spending more than the rifle for the optics. I own most of the inexpensive brands mentioned and even have dabbled into the NcStar realm recently with fine results. If I ever plan the big elk hunt I'll put better glass on the rifle but for the occasional range work, deer, groundhogs in my life, the inexpensive have all worked fine, much better than my eyesight. I've looked through expensive glass, know the difference and have decided to put the extra funds into components and more firearms. We make our choices. I've got Barska spotting scopes and binoculars too, all serviceable and a great buy. Sure, wish I could have Swarovski but three kids in graduate school, I'm happy with what I can have. Brand name envy should disappear as we get older. I don't care what the guy on the next bench has.

The reason I will not buy any more Barska-Simmons-NC Star-TAsco type scopes is becuse I own many big bore and magum caliber rifles and pistols. They last a couple hundred rounds and then shake apart or will not hold zero. I have a stack of them that are now parts scopes.

On my rimfires or low recoil rifles they have fared better.

Most of my scopes are now Nikons and Bausch and Lomb followed by Leupold. The same as with binoculars, you get what you pay for. If I could afford it i would have all Steiner or Swarovski.

I am with LLoyd and Bruce, If I cant afford a decend scope I rob it off another gun.
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 12-29-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carbine View Post
    What about their spotting scopes? Are they OK? I am looking at getting a large one 100 MM objective lens.
    I used to own a Barska spotting scope and functionally it was ok. Clarity was not that great but for a range scope it did its job.

My dog got got hold of it and the padded case it was in. I yelled at the dog (bad mistake), he dropped it from a height of 12 inches and it was toast. I'll let you decide if it should have survived a drop from a foot high in a padded case. .

I replaced it with another low end scope, I think it was a Tasco. Again it does fine on the range.
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 12-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Last gun show I was at the USA made current Redfields were at $149.95 for a 3-9 . I like my peep sights and old Weavers, but if I was buying, I'd sure look at the mew Redfields if I could not afford the Leupolds.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast