RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 16 ga slugs?

Boolit Master

16 ga slugs?

I would like to load some slugs or round balls for an old JC Higgins bolt action 16 gauge. Just for fooling around. Can't find any molds, any ideas? Tried the Search, not much here on the Sweet 16.

Boolit Grand Master

Use a Lee 12ga slug without the shotcup, just use OP and felt wads.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Thanks. I'll post a WTT for some Lees. Found some parts for the gun at GunParts, it will be shootable but has no magazine. The cost of restoring it to a repeater is too high, they're not that valuable in the first place. I may make a frankenstein trunk gun out of it. Tucked away in the trunk of the car it would be better than nothing in a pinch and no great loss if it's lost or stolen. Considering it's already diminished I may cut the barrel back to 18 1/2". Then I'll be looking for an easy way to put sights of some kind on it, something doable with basic hand tools. If it will keep slugs or round balls on a paper plate at 50 yds. it will be useful enough.

Boolit Master

16 ga. 1 oz. slug load?

OK, I got some of the Lee 12 ga slugs, fit real nice in a 16 ga hull without the plastic wad. What I came up with is cut the petals off WW AA 16 ga. wads, over 24 gr. of WW 540. That charge is from a WW loadbook for a 16 ga 1 oz. shot load. Then, to fill up the space I added a toilet paper wad then the slug. Brings it up to be able to form a nice crimp. I'm not a big shotgun reloader so am checking my thinking here. TP wad ok?

Boolit Grand Master

I can't see why not but if you try Circlefly they have some fiber wads you can use too.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Yeehaw! Shot the slugs today. I loaded 5 rounds and shot the first two at 25 yds. Both hit within a couple inches of point of aim using the plain brass front bead. At 50 yds. they were about medium pizza size group but that was all offhand so may have some actual accuracy potential. Not real useful stuff but it's fun to do something different now and then. It occurred to me this about what you might expect from a old Brown Bess or such, but reloads are faster even as a single shot bolt action shotgun. Then I pictured it with some old time brass patchbox and a cleaning rod under the barrel. Hmmm. Next I'll try some buckshot. It's a modified choke now but will be cylinder bore after I cut the barrel back to 20". Oh, no sign of barrel leading from the bare slug. I had thought maybe I should lube them with some LLA but went without any lube.

Boolit Buddy
    wonder how the lyman 525 would shoot in that gun?
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Master
    Don't know, but I'm always interested in oddball loads. What's a Lyman 525?