WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP100 vs S&W 686

GP100 vs S&W 686

I've wanted another 357mag but this one will be for heavy duty target shooting (25 yards and in) and of course hunting if the chance comes along.

I've narrowed it down to the GP 100 and S&W 686 (or equivalent if a nice used one comes along) in SS with 4" barrel and adjustable rear sight.

Is one better than the other as in durability, which one will be like new after 20,000 rounds of 158gr swc @ 1100~1200fps.

Thanks Robert
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

I`ve shot em all & the Rugers stayed in time & no screws lost the longest , that`s why they stayed .

As far as accuracy all of em shot better than I could hold !!

As far as caring & maintaining the lockworks , no simplier than the Ruger, no more complicated than the Colt with S&W in the middle.

The colt turns clockwise bassakwards from anything else & may cause first up ammo mishaps & has a cyl latch you pull (no likey)

The S&W is better at least the cyl turns the rite way , & ya can push the cyl release but it bites!!

BUT , I`m not biased ,Ilike ALL Rugers !!!
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look in the show off sticky at my 686 after 20,000 rounds of shooting plus about the same amount of dryfire. Timing is still good and a little blue loctite handles the loose screw issue. Most of my shooting has been +P. 38s with about 2000 .357s.

Boolit Master

The Ruger is probably more durable if you think the book max loads are merely a suggestion, but on average the s&w will have a smoother/lighter DA trigger pull. I haven't heard any complaints about 686 longevity. The Ruger is easier to detail strip and get back together, but only slightly.
    From what I have seen, the Ruger could possibly have a slight accuracy edge over the 686, but it is tough to call, and I would not base my purchase on that.

I have worked on Smiths and I own Rugers. I think out of the box, Smiths are a little better as far as trigger goes. Rugers are a heck of a lot easier to work on though. I have also seen what a hot load that is Ruger safe has done to a Smith.

I would go Ruger, but that is just my opinion from a durability and ease of repair stand point, also because I shoot some max+ loads on the occasion.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger is my vote

Boolit Master

I faced that decision back in the early 90's and bought the gp100 but that was based on the fact that it weighed less (mine has no lug on the barrel). I would look at them and pick what I liked best, they are both excellent .357 revolvers that will last a lifetime. I prefer the blued guns so if S&W was my choice the 586 would get the nod.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of durability, when I first started to reload I double charged a .38 case as I was working up an IDPA load to shoot. Eleven grains of W231 to be precise. After I opened my eyes and determined my hands were still attached I started looking for the bits that just had to have come off the gun. The 686 showed no adverse effects. The .38 case on the other hand, was split from mouth to rim and the primer was balooned out. The cylinder was a little tough to open as you might imagine.

For the longest time I had that case taped to the powder hopper of my press, as a not-so-subtle reminder to PAY ATTENTION.

Boolit Grand Master

Early 686s used too soft alloy for the cranes and they would develop end shake after about
    5000 heavy .357 loads. A smith can stretch the crane about 2 or 3 times before it must
    be replaced.

Later 686s like from around the -4 or -5 models are harder alloy and have no problems
    like this.

I have a 585 of recent manufacture and it is wonderfully accurate and a delight to shoot.
    It is a 7 shooter, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I would go with the gp100. I just got a six inch stainless for Christmas. The trigger is better than those I own I got a few years ago. The finish is great and the gun has performed superbly.

I must admit I am biased as I have an aunt that worked for them in Prescott for 15 years.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    It is hard to go wrong with either choice, but I think the Ruger will outlast the S&W.

I have had multiple versions of both, when it came time to select a keeper I wwent with a blued 4" GP-100. I like a 6" better for shooting, but the 4" is handier.

Robert

Boolit Master
    So the OP says he's looking to shoot 158 grains at 1100 to 1200. Gee, barely hotter than .38s. Either gun should run forever on those light loads. Heck even a K Frame should digest those in massive quantities.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I have owned S&W 586 and recently bought a GP100. I will have to say that the Ruger is a better firearm IMHO!!!! I am not a gunsmith nor an expert pistolero, but the Ruger is a solid revolver and I find it more accurate than my Smith was....notice I said was?

Both are great firearms but for the money Ruger is a much better deal. S&W's name commands too high a price.

Boolit Grand Master

S&W for me have owned both and although the Ruger is a stout pistol I hate it's trigger!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Definitely dry fire both before you have them do the nics check. I know we are all pushing you to the Ruger, but the action feel of the S&Ws are pretty silky. I own a 686, and will probably own a GP100 eventually. I have shot a couple GP100s quite a bit and dry fired many others, as a couple of friends own them and I tend to finger any revolver I can while I'm in a gun shop.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Early 686s used too soft alloy for the cranes and they would develop end shake after about
    5000 heavy .357 loads. A smith can stretch the crane about 2 or 3 times before it must
    be replaced.

Later 686s like from around the -4 or -5 models are harder alloy and have no problems
    like this.

I have a 585 of recent manufacture and it is wonderfully accurate and a delight to shoot.
    It is a 7 shooter, too.

Bill
    S&W did a recall on those guns. As long as there is the letter 'M' stamped at the yoke or on the butt the gun has been through the recall and should be good to go.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    S&W for me have owned both and although the Ruger is a stout pistol I hate it's trigger!
    I agree with the trigger in DA but in SA my GP100 is awesome. I was on the fence between a 686 and GP100 until last week, when I purchased my new
    SS GP100 4" and the thing is a sweet shooter, the trigger is smooth but a little long in DA, but not so long that I notice after shooting for a while. SA is hard to beat, once I get some more rounds through it, Im sure it will get even smoother.
    Dollar for dollar, you would be hard pressed to find a better revolver than the GP100. JMO

I got my brand new Ruger for $532.00 out the door. Try and get a 686 for that. This Ruger will outlive me, and probably my grandkids.

The GP100 is a stouter revolver than the S&W 686, IMO. I own both. The stock Ruger trigger can be a little heavy on some guns, but if you put a $7 set of Wolff springs in the GP100 the trigger improves immensely.

Both are equally accurate in my opinion. I have never seen a Ruger go out of time, but I do own a S&W 629 that has gone out loose from shooting.

Boolit Master

gp100 gets my vote. mine is so accurate that i never shoot it closer than 50yards. i feed it a steady diet of 190-200gr cast with 12.5-13.0gr h110. i have several thousand rounds thru it with absolutely no issues. i have never seen a ruger that has been worn out. the DA trigger is better on the smith, but using it in SA the ruger trigger is excellent.

but the biggest thing is to try the feel of each and get what fits you best. you can buy the best revolver made, but it won't shoot well if it doesn't fit you correctly.

Boolit Master

another thing, check out the cylinder throats. rugers are typically all the same size, and sized appropriately. i've heard (not seen) that the smiths are not as consistent. this makes a big difference for shooting cast boolits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast