RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Chrono results - 41 & 44 magnum

Boolit Man

Thumbs up Chrono results - 41 & 44 magnum

HI ALL..JUST GOT BACK FROM MY CLUB RANGE....tested out new Rcbs Chrono...works fine....finally got to see what my loads are doin'

First was S&W M57 6" from 1965..load is new starline brass wwlp primer 17gr AAC #9 boolit is ballisi-cast #258 Keith 221gr in #2 alloy sized to .410"

10 shots: High 1410fps low 1322 avg 1366 es 88fps sd 32fps

good grief..no wonder the recoil is heavy....sharp wrist twisting recoil with a LOUD booming muzzle blast...but phenomally accurate....1/2' at 25yds..clean burn with little residue...

Next was Ruger Super Blackhawk stainless 5 1/2" bbl 2007 vintage...

Load #1: new starline brass wwlp primer 20gr. AAC#9 Boolit is Lyman 429421 235gr
    hollow point #2 alloy sized to .431" from an ANCIENT mold KEITH bullet with deep square lube groove..

High 1496fps low 1439fps avg 1470fps es 57fps sd 23fps...WOW..smokin' fast load...from a 5 1/2" bbl...!!!! PLENTY RECOIL...sharp vicious muzzle blast...primers were round..no flattening..no unburned powder..clean load and accurate....1" at 25yds....

Load #2..Ruger again new starline brass..CCI 300primer 10gr. "NEW" Unique same bullet as above..

High 1235fps Low 1196fps Avg 1213fps ES 39fps SD 14 fps..!!!!!

Somewhat more milder load..more a top end 44Spl load but plenty fast enough for 50yd. Whitetail Huntin'..my self-imposed limit for handgun hunting...Am going to use THIS load in my 1975 vintage M29 8 3/8"...dont want to batter it to death..its already been to S&W for a rebuild once in 1978...

Load #3..new starline brass wwlp primer 20.5gr VN 110..same bullet as above...

High 1460fps Low 1391FPS Avg 1435FPS ES 69fps SD 24fps..

Another fine accurate full power heavy recoil load....

Actually I will probably use the unique load..its very pleasant to shoot all day and plenty powerful enough...I experienced NO LEADING...NONE....in either weapon.

Was very suprised by the high velocities from the 5 1/2" bbl Ruger...also it is VERY accurate...AND..am glad that these magnums ARE delivering what is promised...all the velocity one needs....Am torn between using the M57 or the Ruger...The M57 is THE MOST ACCURATE handgun I own...puts 5 shots into almost one hole with all 5 touching....it just shades the Ruger...but not by much..!!!!

Pete

Boolit Master
    thanks for the report it is interesting

Boolit Master
    Glad your having fun with your new chrono. THey can be a real asset if used properly.

I used to carry around a 12' piece of heavy nylon cord so that I got the exact distance every time, but I found that the muzzle blast on different firearms had an influence on my readings, so I changed it out for a 15' piece.

Also found that putting a piece of red electrical tape, up about 4" and then another couple of inches higher, around the rods which support the screens, makes it easier to keep my bullets out of the electronics. This also helps to keep the readings more consistent from one trip to the next.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just waiting for the sun to come up now so I can leave to "run a few" across the screens. I'll be out there when the sun tops the rise, 'cause I've gotta be back to go to work at 5pm...I work all night.
    Friday I was out and used some AA#9 in an M58 (4") with some 200gr HPs. They are an RCBS 210SWC that was hollow-pointed by Buckshot. I used 15.0 with CCI 350 primers. It was too warm. The cases were hard to extract. That shows what a difference Mag primers will make over Standard, SOMETIMES.
    The velocity was 1278fps A(verage), but with CCI 300s, and 15.5gr, I got 1273A, and the cases shucked just fine. 15.5gr with Fed 150s gave 1254fps A. I don't recommend anything, I'm just sayin'...
    The boolits were cast from linotype, sized to .413, and lubed with BAC. The groups weren't as good as yours, but, like you, the barrel was clean. (A little ash never hurt anything)
    The only thing I think I proved was that ya don't NEED Mag primers with AA#9.
    I use a 5' spread on my screens, so I have a 5'6" steel 1/2x1/2 tube to mount my screens, and use it to measure 5' from the rest to the first screen. My chronograph is an Oehler M33 Chronotach that I've used for over 30 years, and MANY times have run the same load across to varify after 2month, or as long as 5years! Always with consistant results, as long as I'm using the same lot of powder as the origional test.
    Have fun,
    Gene

Boolit Master
    Those AA#9 loads are smokin' right along.... I usually use H110 for heavy loads...

Was out yesterday with three 1964 Model 57s...a 4" a 5" and a 6" shooting some Cast Perfroance 255s with 22 grains of H110. I don't have records here with me but they run around 1400 from a 5.5" barrel.

My "standard" load is a 210-220 cast HP with 8.0 grains of Unique that runs 950+- fps from 4" guns...and one hole accurate...

Nice to see a few .41 shooters out there!!!

Time to go back to the range...Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I like to use 8.5gr of Unique under a commercial cast 215gr SWC for my 4 5/8" Ruger BH .41. Even with my novice skills that load will make one hole at 10yds if I don't flinch standing on my hind legs I've decided to use 2400 for full power loads but have yet to load any up with the cast bullets that I have on hand for a couple of reasons. First is load data seems to be non-exisistant for commercial cast 215gr SWCBB bullets (at least from what I've been able to find).
    Secondly is I can't think of a task that I can't accomplish with the afore mentioned Unique load.

Someday though I would like to work up a full power load with the 215gr bullets that I have, something in the realm of 1300fps+

Boolit Master
    the hand guns I have are all some kind of .41's-- as are all my molds-- makes it --well nice for me -- I have not taken anything bigger than a 270# boar- - but the cast 255 went all the way through-- -- I have some other hunts planned -but as i am a meat hunter first-- well no reallly bit stuff for me-- I am thinking an younger eating Bison-- but we will see
    Loads --in my normal hunting .41 it is a Keith bullet over 2400 ala Keith- then usually aMihec HP and 296 in a couple of my wildcats and and the 255 for anything period -- usually plink with what i hunt with--nothing but cast --sadly I do not have a Smith someday -- or a Marlin-