Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anticipation....

Boolit Grand Master

Anticipation....

Looks like I'm taking CB's hunting after Christmas after all. Developed a load using RD's 460-350 for my Guide Gun but failed to find one my 336 in 35 Remington likes in time for this hunt. I'll be carrying CB's in my 45 Colt RBH as well. I'll be taking a 30-06 that is J-bullet-only but it's a gift from my host so it's making a command appearance. Recently hired RO was sighting in a customer's gun next to me and I spotted for him, helped him out with some of the finer points. Believe he's a recently discharged Marine vet so he didn't need many pointers. I had to show off my 2-shot sight-check regimen and quite honestly I was a bit nervous, these are Marlins I've been doing load development with and I wasn't entirely sure that the 35 Rem (center diamond) was still 2" high @ 100. It was. 45-70 (lower left) isn't a stellar performer with CB's yet but it'll do.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 04-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    Nice shooting. I would say you are "good to go".

Boolit Master
    Shoot, I would have a lot of confidence in either of those rifles. Gud nuff fer gubment work.

So uh, what kind of knife you got there? Fer sale?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice Shootin..
    Good Luck ...
    Whats our 35 Rem Load

Boolit Grand Master

Knife's an old Buck, nothing special except to me. Other paperweight was part of a partial belt found in the mountains of NM by a friend of mine on a hunt. Thanks.
    J-bullet rifle load is a RP 200 grainer over 32 grs RL7. Using 210M primers these days but it worked well with RP primers. Pistol J-bullet load is 32grs RL7 under a 180 gr Hornady spire point. Prefer RP cases when I can get them, most are about 20 yrs old so it's time to start looking for some.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Man
    20 year old...isn't the classified as a "classic"?

how may reload do you have through those things?

Boolit Master
    It's great to see you're using cast! Shooting cast on the local range, I've had a long time to mess with them. They get really accurate if you keep working on it. A lot of it comes from getting all the copper fouling out of the bore and gettin' your favorite bullet lube completely coated in.
    Had a 41 mag kinda stump me like that, then when I scrubbed it with brushes repeatedly, she became my best friend. The longer you run cast through them, the easier it gets. Then you'll never go back to storebought, too hard to keep cleaning up after.
    Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master

Copper fouling not an issue, all pretty clean and have a great copper-fouling removal routine, canyon ghost. Which canyons do you haunt, Caprock or Palo Duro?
    35 has had a revival on my reloading bench, ocelott. I have a Contender in 35 that I hunt with only occasionally, put it together about 25 yrs ago IIRC. Wonderful stand hunting setup, just doesn't see much action. Also more accurate than most of my rifles but because of the recoil I can't shoot a 5-shot group, also a bit unpleasant for other folks nearby. Still have the original 100 pcs of brass but one split last time out. I doubt they have more than 6-8 firings each but some likely have a few more.
    Back on topic a lead boolit just makes more sense for medium and large caliber, under 2400 fps rifles and pistols used for hunting. I've had to work a bit figuring out how to do it but it's already been a rewarding experience. Have another couple of "try loads" for my new-to-me 32 so it'll be a rifle to consider for a future trip.

Either one of those is shooting minute-of-deer. Good luck on your hunt.

Boolit Bub
    nice shooting, good luck!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks! Suddenly (finally?) came upon a CB hunting load for my .32, will be tough figuring out which rifles go with me this week. Good problem to have.