Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: All the Complaining That Goes On About Lee Precision

I'm with 405 . I have a mixture of colors on my bench(It used to be only green),I've tried all of them amd they all do the same thing for the most part,but I have only had problems with one die and it was Lee(the very first Lee that I bought because so many people stood up for them).I looked up inside the die and the surface that sizes the neck was rough and not polished very good.

Now that said die would not size the rifle cases that I bought it for, it took quite an amount of pressure to use,and the sound coming from it told me what was going on. I tried every lube I had plus went into the garage and tried several thick oils, finally seized one(I knew it would happen).I pressed it out and called Lee. The guy I talked to said "if you want the die to work use Lee lube",that is arrogent . He wouldn't even listen to me when I told him the surface was not right or that the other case lubes I used(Imperial sizing wax and RCBS case lube) worked fine for everything else so why wouldn't it work on their die. That put a sour taste in my mouth for that company.

I took that die set back to the lgs that I bought it from and told him the story(he was a Lee fan of sorts),he took the die out , put it in his press out back and promply seized a case using LEE lube! He then traded even up for a RCBS set and I had the 100 cases sized in 20 min,no issues. The ironic part is that I bought the Lee because they were "cheaper" and I don't reload that caliber much so I wanted to save money. After $25.00 in extra gas I ended up with one of the brands that I normally get. Didn't save anything.

Now yes they(Lee) do make some good stuff and it works as good as the "others" but just looking at past threads here and on other forums it is clear what brand has the most issues. That is the price difference.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I remember asking a deer I shot and killed a few years back if he was bothered by the fact that the shot that did him in was constructed using primarily Lee equipment.

He never did answer me.

*snerk*

TCA
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Lee products

First I will say that I started with the Lee hammer kit in 38 special after coming home from the army in 1969. It sacred the hell out of me when a primer would be set off in the seating process.
    I now do all my loading on the Lee Classic turret. I loaded with nothing but Dillon and to me it is still the best. I had to sell a press to make money and the Dillon 550B loaded out brought over $500 as opposed to the hundred the Lee could sell for.
    I have had problems with various Lee dies including the pistol crimp dies.
    You will not see one piece of Lee Equipment at any serious gun competition.
    I ordered 4 of the Lee Custom group buys and custom big lube bullet moulds. I had to send three back for several problems including undersized cavities. I ordered a 200 grain and a 250 grain moulds in 45 Colt. I requested that both moulds drop .454 bullets as my revolvers were at .4525 and I shoot 100 % Black Powder. The moulds were dropping bullets at .449.to .452 from one 6 cavity mould. Pat in Customer Service told me that I was being a impossible customer. I asked him what was so impossible about requesting a mould that drops .454 bullets. He did not answer. I sent the moulds back several times at my cost and then when I requested a refund from the seller it took over 5 months of letters.I then purchased a Lee Pro pot to try it out against my old Lyman 20. The Lee dripped and the rheostat would have temperatures all over the place. Trying to keep a even temperature was impossible. The last straw was when the entire lever device pulled loose from the pot and dumped hot lead all over my bench.
    If you doubt the skimpy set up take one of your tiny self threading screws on top out and see that it is only in the very thin pot metal.
    I wrote a long letter suggesting that this problem be looked at before some one was injured and they sent me no answer and a new pot which I sold the same day received.
    If you have had good luck with your Lee Equipment then all the best to you. After 40 years of loading I know that they have border line products with a few that are very good.
    I have nothing but praise for the Lee Classic Turret, the Lee hand press, and the Lee universal decapping die. I do know that Lee tools allow people to get started at a low price and to use things that they could not buy other wise. However I will say that the quality control and the persons in charge like Pat do nothing for the company.
    This is not a put down or spreading rumors but the facts of my experience. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I have a rainbow bench, lots of Lyman, Lee, and RCBS.

Never had any real difficulties with any of them. I like Lyman M dies and Lee FCD's -- wish they cross-licensed. Eventually --
    Paul

Boolit Grand Master

My only problem with Lee is that after all these years they still don't make a mould in a proper size. If you want to reload a 30 you need to buy a 32 mould ect. A 38 mouold that drops a 356-357 bullet just isn't real usefull as is. But I have used Lee dies since they came out with few complaints and I still have my first Lee loader.

Boolit Master
    Geargnasher,

for true precision work you must also: Paint to cover

Boolit Master
    My reloading bench is all red. My portable outfit I use in the field (stored in my field bag) is all red. I have been very pleased with Lee products and I suspect that I will be using them for the foreseeable future. The only exception will be some molds that they don't make such as Postel and other BPCR and long distance rounds.

I couldn't be more pleased with a supplier.

I've got stuff from lee, RCBS, redding, lyman, hornady, and probably a few others I've forgotten. I've never been very impressed with anything from lee, and consequently I don't purchase their products anymore. The majority of it will work adequately for the intended task if you're not terribly picky. I am picky, and Lee just doesn't deliver what I want in reloading equipment.

The Lee PPM is an excellent measure if you only load stick or flake powder. If you like to load ball, prepare to have it leak all over your bench in addition to the measure becoming almost inoperable due to binding.

The original "O" frame press was fine for handgun cartridges, but entirely inadequate for rifle. I broke the linkage on one sizing .308 brass....Lee charged as much for the replacement part as a brand new press.

Their handgun dies might work for you, or they might not. The seater plugs fit no bullet known to man and inevitably seat bullets crooked. The sets I have *just barely* size cases enough, and in a couple of cartridges, not enough. They all gather dust on a shelf now.

The hand press is a great little portable press, though you're gonna need a lot of muscle to FL size rifle cases.

The safety scale works well, but unfortunately is limited in capacity. Not a good choice if you want to sort bullets or brass by weight.

Ultimately, quality costs money. That said, sometimes you're paying more for a name/status than you are for the quality of the item. In Lee's case, you generally get about what you pay for.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Banned
    I started out buying small things from LEE back in the 70's. Was always satisfied . . . no complaints. I have a LEE Challenger press for light stuff & several push thru sizers. Again no complaints. I have five of LEE's molds, one of which I had a little problem with . . . I worked it out. Overall, LEE makes good stuff.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    If you have your neck tension right, I'm of the opinion that the Lee collet sizer dies for rifle rounds are the best on the market......period. better than Redding, RCBS, etc., in that they are designed to eliminate bullet runout.

Their standard dies are not as fancy outside as others, but offer the most robust decapper/expander with the least abrupt shoulder of any I know of.

Their bullet molds... well I prefer Lyman but it's a cost benefit thing. When I can get 2 or 3 Lee molds for the price of one Lyman, that's a no brainer.

I don't care for their scale, their chamfer tool, or their #18 shellholder.

Their progressive presses are hit or miss. They work ok but are finicky. Once working though, they produce ammo every bit as good as more expensive models.

Their customer service is fantastic. I know, I know, RCBS... I'm the one guy who has had nothing but trouble with them, which I won't go into more now. Lee on the other hand has always been very courteous and fast.

Plus they are made in America and produce goods at a fraction of the cost of competitors. I point to them when someone says "Americans can't produce quality goods at a good price anymore."

Love Life
    My reloading bench is multi colored. I buy dies based off of what is cheapest at the time. I have a RL550 from Dillon and it truly is the bees knees, but I still break out my Lee O frame press for my rifle rounds.

The lee autodisk is hands down the best powder measure I have used for reloading pistol cartridges on a progressive press. I have one Dillon powder measure and the rest are lee auto disks. They work just fine with the RL550. The Lee perfect powder measure also works well.

Both of my casting pots are Lee. Whenever a person comes to me and says "I'm thinking about reloading. Can your price me a set up?" I will price them a set up from Dillon and a setup from Lee. Usually they go with Lee.

The only thing I don't like about Lee are the sizing dies. Of the 10 Lee sizers I own I had to open them all up .001 to size correctly.

Also LLA is awesome!!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Lee

LLA may be awesome to a smokeless shooter but to someone who shoots only the original gunpowder it is little less than a thick gooey tube of oil that has no use what so ever. May make good target; have not thought or tried that yet.
    It may also (IF YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TUBES) be a good front or rear differential lube for getting you home if you bust a hole in one of them on on a rock. Take Care and Have Fun shooting!! David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    LLA may be awesome to a smokeless shooter but to someone who shoots only the original gunpowder it is little less than a thick gooey tube of oil that has no use what so ever. May make good target; have not thought or tried that yet.
    It may also (IF YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TUBES) be a good front or rear differential lube for getting you home if you bust a hole in one of them on on a rock. Take Care and Have Fun shooting!! David
    I thought all you guy's are suppose to use only natural lube's?
    So why try LLA and then come here and whine about it.

Beekeeper
    When I started reloading 50+ years ago everything was green.
    When I put it all away to raise a family ( servicemen had to do things like that) The yellow was getting popular.
    When I returned to reloading I remembered a couple of Lee whackum loaders I had and went looking for Lee equipment.
    I still have my green equipment and still use it but find very little if any diference between it and the Lee.
    I no longer shoot Match so the micrometer seaters and sizers are not needed.
    All in all I am very satisfied with Lee but like the OP I would like to see some realistic mold sizes for us picky shooters.I think they make them for the masses as they do for most of their equipment and that is their niche in the reloading world.

beekeeper

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    The majority of it will work adequately for the intended task if you're not terribly picky. I am picky, and Lee just doesn't deliver what I want in reloading equipment.
    I'm picky as hell, especially over my rifle ammunition. With that cheap O-ring press (Challenger) and cheap Lee 30-06 dies and my load components, I can shoot five-dot "clovers" at 100 yards all day long and MOA at 200 yards.

For what it's worth, I've loaded well over 5,000 rounds on the cheap O-ring press without a single malfuction or linkage problem, including forming .270 to 30-06, as well as full-length sizing scores of .308, .303, 30-30 and .223.

The Lee PPM is an excellent measure if you only load stick or flake powder. If you like to load ball, prepare to have it leak all over your bench in addition to the measure becoming almost inoperable due to binding.
    Two Hornadys, one Lyman, one RCBS later and the Lee powder measure is still standing on the bench, and has only leaked once--when I failed to close it shot before taking it off the stand to dump the powder.

Those MOA loads are measured out with that Lee powder measure, and rarely do I have to use the trickle. Both 335 and W748 flow extremely well through that little $20 Lee measure, and in fairness, the Hornady metered the ball powders every bit as well as the Lee.

But when it comes to the stick and flakes, I've yet to have, find or try a powder measure that throws as consistently accurate as that little Lee.

Their handgun dies might work for you, or they might not. The seater plugs fit no bullet known to man and inevitably seat bullets crooked. The sets I have *just barely* size cases enough, and in a couple of cartridges, not enough. They all gather dust on a shelf now.
    I've got an attic full of IPSC and PPC and LE tournament trophies, all won with ammunition loaded on a cheap Pro1000 and with Lee dies with seater plugs that "fit no bullet known to man which inevitably seat bullets crooked."

Gathering dust? Swapping & Selling will get you a few bucks for them.

The safety scale works well, but unfortunately is limited in capacity. Not a good choice if you want to sort bullets or brass by weight.
    While eerily accurate, only the Pro1000 has caused me to swear more and louder than the Lee Safety scale--and I have one of their early ones, in green, of all colors!

Ultimately, quality costs money. That said, sometimes you're paying more for a name/status than you are for the quality of the item. In Lee's case, you generally get about what you pay for.
    I'll put their Classic Cast single stage press up against any Lyman or RCBS or Hornady in existence. Same goes with their Classic Turret.

Don't get me started with their progressives, however, or some of their doo-dads which are absolutely innovative, like the Zip Trim or adjustable powder bar, but made so poorly as to cause a nun to prefer group sex as opposed to trying to fix or use the parts.

There are other considerations as well:

1. How often does one reload? For the casual reloader who might pull the handle and reload 500 rounds of 9mm a year just to stay in practice, a Dillon 550 is a waste of money and resources.

2. How does one treat their equipment? I've seen people tear up crowbars and anvils. Usually the same folks who can buy a one-ton dually diesel and have it go bad in the first forty-thousand miles, then blame everyone but themselves when they failed to rotate tires, change filters, use good fuel, etc etc.

3. What is one's budget?
    Not everyone can afford a Lexus or Mercedes, but a Toyota Corolla will get you down the road just as quickly and often times more efficiently when you weigh your investment ratio into the mix.

Anyone who says you can't make good ammo with Lee or any other brand other than Dillon is full of bovine excrement. Tools help, but ultimately a craftsman is just that.

I've got blue and green on the reloading bench at the hangar, and primarily red in the reloading shop at home (Lee, Hornady, MEC) and other than the Pro1000, I haven't had any problems with any of it, and some of that stuff is going on thirty-plus years old and gets lots of use on a weekly, often daily basis.

But then again, opinions vary.

Last edited by Recluse; 01-03-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

On this we agree, Recluse.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Hello,

I prefer Lee dies.

Their powder dropper is pretty good, better than I expected from plastic.

I'm a fan of the disk powder thrower.

The hand priming tool is OK. I snapped the handle on mine and ordered a couple more to keep on hand. The new handle is an improved design.

My press is, and always has been, a Lyman turret. I got it for the price of shipping from someone who replaced it with something different. My preferred scales are a Lyman/Ohaus D5 and an old Redding oil-dampened antique. Didn't like the Lee safety scale or the Lyman 1000XP digital.

I really like the Lee ram prime, but wish they hadn't discontinued the type that automatically feeds the primers. I prefer not to touch them, so use the hand primer most.

I like the Lee furnace I have as well as the moulds. The dipper serves, but only because I'm a lefty and Lyman only recently came out with a reversible cast dipper.

I've been thinking about grabbing a Lee single-stage press for a few lighter chores.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Josh

My reloading bench is almost entirely Lee. The notable exception is the RCBS 10-10 beam scale.

Lee Precision makes gear that isn't Dillon- or RCBS-level. It doesn't have to be. Not everyone needs a Mercedes S-500 when a Honda Accord will do the job nicely. And that's the thing about Lee gear. It serves a different market, the "Honda Accord" market, at an appropriate price point, and the gear does do the job nicely. My Pro 1000 in .38/357 will click north of 30,000 rounds very shortly.

My moulds cast well. A couple of them drop boolits a little small, but Lee-menting the mould takes 10 minutes. I just did it to my 452-200-RF. My .358" cast maybe a thousandth or two large, which is preferable over too small. I don't even have to size these boolits. They shoot well as is.

I will continue to buy Lee gear as I need it.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Buddy
    My friend has been teaching me to cast and we started discussing the need g for a 401 bullet to shoot out of our 10mm and 40s&w's. He mentioned that the Lee 6 cavity 175 truncated cone had a fairly good reputation and he wouldn't be adverse to going halves on one. I ordered one from midsouth and with handle have got barley over $50 in it. I have had three casting session with it and have produced about 1000 boolits each time . I am extremely happy with the mold. I am a price performance guy and this mold delivers so much so I have a 6 cavity 158g 357 on order.

Started out long time ago with the wackem 12 ga. Lee loader. Loaded tons of shells with it and the guy I gave it to still has it and uses it.

Started loading 9mm with the small lee single stage press, and have about 2000 from that one. Tons of work to do it that way but they always go bang.

Got a 4 hole progressive turret press for Christmas this year and let me say that I like it. It works, the safety primer works flawlessly, the Auto Disk throws perfect charges so far, and its a bunch easier to load now than changing the dies for each station.

For me their equipment has always worked. Dies, molds sizers, so I keep using them. So if that's the case.... then use what you want.

If you want to buy me all the other equipment, dies, molds etc. Then fine. But I don't have the extra $ for other colors, so I got what I got.

If you like it. Use it. If you don't. Don't. Always remember opinions are like armpits; everybody has a couple and sometimes they can be repulsively fragrant. So.. I just go with what makes me happy. Haven't had the reloading fairy bring any other stuff so I just sit here and crank em out and grin.

Ya'all have a great one
    $Bill
    I was alright... I got over it.

It takes 43 muscles to frown.
    It takes 17 muscles to smile.
    But only 3 for a proper trigger pull..

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast