RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: All the Complaining That Goes On About Lee Precision

I sent it to Mr. J Lee, President, Lee Precision.
    Am I missing something here?

Boolit Master
    dikman, go to Lee's web site and open a service ticket. http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...t/RenderForm/4 They generally respond within 24 to 36 hours during the week! We track their responses on our FB page regularly and to date not one persons request has been ignored. Include pictures too, it helps.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Been there, done that......

Just found a copy of the reloading book that Richard Lee wrote (2002 edition) that I didn't know I had. Very interesting reading and well-written, but more importantly it gives an insight into Richard Lee's thinking processes and ideals when he created Lee Inc.
    Methinks Lee jr. doesn't quite share the same ideals as Lee sr.

Banned

You may not be able to call them from out of country. I just call and they answer/respond. To me, in all my dealings with them, they just seem like real good people.

Perma-Banned

Never had them to give me anything. ALWAYS had to pay and have been robbed for shipping.

jmortimer, I've gathered from your various posts on the subject that you think highly of Lee and have been, shall I say, supportive of them and their customer service. Nothing wrong with that when you get good service, and you obviously have.

What I found really galling, reading Richard Lee's book, is that on the subject of his molds he is very proud of them and their accuracy, compared to his competitors. He says that they are guaranteed round to within .0001", and in the case of black powder no more than .003" undersize - not exactly what I've ended up with. I suspect that if I was dealing with Richard Lee, rather than John Lee, I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    jmortimer, I've gathered from your various posts on the subject that you think highly of Lee and have been, shall I say, supportive of them and their customer service. Nothing wrong with that when you get good service, and you obviously have.

What I found really galling, reading Richard Lee's book, is that on the subject of his molds he is very proud of them and their accuracy, compared to his competitors. He says that they are guaranteed round to within .0001", and in the case of black powder no more than .003" undersize - not exactly what I've ended up with. I suspect that if I was dealing with Richard Lee, rather than John Lee, I wouldn't have anything to complain about.
    I've had out of round and otherwise bad Lee molds. It only costs $5 postage to send back a 22 or $50 mold and they have replaced them every time.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

That's fine if you're in the US, I'm not. It's going to cost me about AU$16 to send back a $20 mold.

Boolit Bub
    I started with a LCT, considering moving up to a Dillon but have no plans to get rid of the LCT. The Lee products I own outperform my expectations for the price I paid. Will be ordering some molds soon.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

my feedback thread;
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=dieselrealtor

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Just found a copy of the reloading book that Richard Lee wrote (2002 edition) that I didn't know I had. Very interesting reading and well-written, but more importantly it gives an insight into Richard Lee's thinking processes and ideals when he created Lee Inc.
    Methinks Lee jr. doesn't quite share the same ideals as Lee sr.

There is a self maintained leveling process that will take care of this.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Richard Lee obviously built up a successful company by providing pretty good quality equipment at reasonable prices, and apparently put the customer first. As long as the company continues with the same quality and pricing structure they will sell their products irrespective of John Lee's attitude towards customers. Most customer complaints/problems appear to be dealt with fairly efficiently, but when the odd problem (like me) comes along they can just ignore it. After all, what can I do about it? Not much, and they know it.

But I still think that not having the decency to respond to a customer's letter is an exercise in rudeness and arrogance.

Boolit Mold
    A couple of comments...

My first loading tool was a Lee Loader for .25-20 back in 1972 for $9.95.

I still have it and it shows no appreciable wear.

I still use it for neck sizing my .25-20 because it provides perfect neck sizing WITHOUT working the case body. I cannot get any of my other press dies to avoid working the case head. If I screw them out to avoid case head impact, I only get 40%-60% neck sizing which, in my opinion, does not provide enough neck tension for loading the rounds in a lever magazine.

Of the dies, I have some RCBS, some Hornady, and many Lee. I always gravitate to the Lee option because I have found them to have fewer burrs inside - just smoother overall. I like the one piece decapper expander, which just works smoother overall for me.

I have at least one Lee Factory Crimp Die for all the calibers I reload. If I could get them to make a collet sizing die for .25-20, I would be complete.

Most practical, efficient, excellent quality and best price/performance for my reloading dollar. I suggest that you try the products and and judge for yourself in the product lines that Lee competes in.

I would suggest that the folks who complain are only trying to self-justify their own actions in spending excessive money for the same product with a "name" marketing plan.

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing but trouble with Lee"s shell holder for the 43 Spanish. Likes to break the rim off the shell holder. RCBS works fine.

Boolit Bub
    Thought I'd resurrect this old dog!

I just picked up Lee Load Fast progressive shotshell loader on the cheap. Just a whim buy as I have no need for another 12ga loader. After putzing around with it and getting it working I called Lee Precision to see if there were any parts still available for it. (the press was discontinued in 1997 so I wasn't holding my breath). I spent about 5 minutes on the phone describing what I needed and gave my call back info to the nice women with a thick Yooper accent(I love that accent!). As promised, she called me back after about 1/2 hour with a list of parts still available and those that are interchangeable with the Load All. For a grand total of $12.00 + shipping, I am getting everything I need to refurbish the press.

I have to say that I have loaded my shotshell needs on MEC equipment since I started loading and never even looked at Lee in this capacity as I had no want for a single stage loader in 12ga and did not know Lee ever made a progressive shotshell press until I saw this one at a gun show.

I have loaded all my metallic cartridges on Lee equipment since I started loading. I started on their 3 station turret for pistol and Breach Lock Challenger for my rifle loads. Moved up to the Classic Turret, then to the Pro10000 and now run the Load master for all my pistol and .223 rounds.

I've never had any real issues with any of the Lee presses. All have their individual quirks and needed some tweaking to perfect but they all did what they are designed to do at a great price.

Most of my dies are Lee with a couple exceptions. Both of the exceptions are the only dies I've ever had any issues with. My RCBS .223 FLR gets cases stuck regardless of lube brand or method. and my CH Tool and Die .30-40 Krag FLR scratches the case at the vent every time.

I do load consistent sub MOA (my best groups are 1/2moa at 300 yards but usually around 3/4moa) cartridges for my .308 with Lee dies and the Challenger single stage press. I use an Ohaus 10-10 scale and a Hornady powder trickler in conjunction with my Lee PPM for these precision loads.

All of my molds are Lee, not that I have a lot. Two 6 cavity TL451-230-2R, one 6 cavity TL35-125 2R and one 2 cavity TL309-230 5R molds. All have worked well for me though my production numbers are probably considered low by most here. A couple thousand annually on the 9mm maybe double that in .45 and a couple hundred a year for the .30-40 all with Lee's Pro melting pot. Aside from having to clean the valve seat and plunger once in a while, it has given me no problems either.

Lee's new Auto Drum powder drop seems to be a home run so far. Very consistent, easy to set up and the quick change drums are so convenient.

I guess you would have to call me a Lee addict because If I had to get rid of my Lee gear, I'd quit hand loading and casting. No way could I justify the cost of Dillon or Hornady products(the the Hornady L-N-L ammo plant might be the one exception).

I have everything I need to load 9mm, .45acp, .380, .32 acp, .223, .308, .30-40 Krag, .243 win, .30-30 and .30-06 with the pistol calibers and .223 set up with dedicated powder measures in quick change tool heads for less $ than the base model Dillon press capable of the same work and it all works well.

Boolit Master
    Most Lee dies work fine for a box of ammo now and then. Not all work properly though. I have somewhere around 15 sets of Lee dies and most work ok but none of them are my first choice. I bought those 15 sets to investigate Lee dies. I also have many, many dies by RCBS, Forster, CH, Lyman, Redding, Herters, Eagle, Krupp (same as Herters).
    Lee sells some dies that are incorrect dimensionally and does nothing to correct the problem. I can understand a mistake in manufacturing but an engineering mistake by the professionals in a company and the refusal to take corrective action is not excusable.
    One of these problem dies is the FL sizer for the 7.65 Argentine Mauser. The die body is too long from the case head to the shoulder datum by .010. I have 4 rifles to verify this against. I have seen numerous other complaints about this issue posted by other hand loaders. RCBS dies work perfect. Lyman dies also work for this round.
    Lee also made the dies for the 7.5X54 French MAS wrong. They size the body of the case about .006 to.008 too much on the diameters. As a result the cases lengthen rapidly. RCBS dies work fine for the MAS rifles. Neither of their dies produce cases sized to match the standards published by CIP. RCBS dies size cases to match the rifle chambers. Lee just shrugs their shoulders when asked about these *****s.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksj View Post
    Most practical, efficient, excellent quality and best price/performance for my reloading dollar. I suggest that you try the products and and judge for yourself in the product lines that Lee competes in.

I would suggest that the folks who complain are only trying to self-justify their own actions in spending excessive money for the same product with a "name" marketing plan.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Thought I'd resurrect this old dog!
    Why? Lee haters ain't gonna change their mind, no matter how many "success stories" they read. Lee fans will just keep on reloading (even with 19 year old dies) regardless of how much the haters whine...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Why? Lee haters ain't gonna change their mind, no matter how many "success stories" they read. Lee fans will just keep on reloading (even with 19 year old dies) regardless of how much the haters whine...
    And this is the type reply you get if you critique anything Lee with a less than a positive review. You're either a "whiner", or "hater", Lee "basher" or to stupid to use it correctly. I have a LOT of Lee equipment on my reloading bench that I like, that's why it's there. But I've also had Lee equipment that didn't meet MY expectations/needs for one reason or another. Any more if I find a Lee product that falls into this category, I just dump it and keep my opinion to myself. Tired of being insulted by the reloading "left"...

I have lots of equipment from lots of manufacturers dating back in some cases over 100 years. Lee stuff is hit or miss just like everyone's. That's the truth. Their molds are an excellent value for the price. The dies are pretty good too usually. I can't stand their Rube Goldburg progressive presses. Some things should never be made of plastic but hey, the Green and Blue guys make that mistake too. Lee responded very favorably to my request for classroom learning materials so although some of their stuff is sketchy I think they are stand up people.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

I can't stand their Rube Goldburg progressive presses.
    When you get one so it will load 100 rounds in under 4 minutes, you do feel like you accomplished quote a goal, though.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast