Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: All the Complaining That Goes On About Lee Precision

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    Just to add my 2 pennyworth from the other side of the pond, I have 7 bullet moulds, six Lee and one RCBS.

All produce excellent bullets, the difference between the RCBS and Lee moulds is, I paid £89 for the RCBS mould without handles and £19 for the Lee moulds including handles.

My Lee Classic turret press and 16 sets of Lee dies all produce good quality ammunition at a fraction of the cost of the competition.
    ukrifleman.
    Here DownUnder, we have the same problem.

Lee equipment is at least reasonably priced, all other reloading equipment is eyewateringly expensive.

G'day Norbrat, how's the weather up North? Been a bit stormy by the look of it?
    Yep, you Yanks don't know when you're well off. I paid over $60 for a Lee 2-cav mold a few years ago (for something you guys consider "disposable"). You could probably guess at the price of other brands, based on that figure. Fortunately, for the most part Lee stuff is pretty good so lets a lot of us, who may not have been able to otherwise, get into reloading.

Boolit Bub
    I purchased a Lee Challenger press in 1984 and loaded countless rounds of 30-06, .303 British, 30-30 and others. That press is still chucking out ammo on a friends bench to this day. I have cast a lot of Lee boolits over the years and have had zero problems with their equipment. the only reason I gave away the Lee press was I inherited my Dads stuff when he passed away and ran out of room.
    Watch your back.
    Shoot Straight.
    Conserve ammo.
    Never cut a deal with a Dragon. From the Shadowrun tabletop Role Playing Game.

Boolit Master
    Here in the US we can get the other brands such as RCBS, Redding and Forster used from auction sites for about the cost of new Lee stuff. Those companies provide excellent warranty support too if ever needed.
    I don't know what your predecessors did before there was Lee. I started loading before Lee made anything other than the whack a mole loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post
    Here DownUnder, we have the same problem.

Lee equipment is at least reasonably priced, all other reloading equipment is eyewateringly expensive.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    G'day Norbrat, how's the weather up North? Been a bit stormy by the look of it?
    Hi Richard, no storms here. You're thinking of SE Qld, 1200 kms south of us. We may get a cyclone or two this season though, so stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Here in the US we can get the other brands such as RCBS, Redding and Forster used from auction sites for about the cost of new Lee stuff. Those companies provide excellent warranty support too if ever needed.
    Those warranties are worth squat here. Any problems would need to go through the importer/wholesaler and they really don't give a damn.

I don't know what your predecessors did before there was Lee. I started loading before Lee made anything other than the whack a mole loaders.
    Reloading stuff has always been available, just not a wide variety of choice. We even have a local company called Simplex which makes some good stuff, but it is still relatively expensive.

LGS's would tell customers they need to spend about $600 to get started in reloading by buying Hornady, RCBS etc.

I have got quite a few started by convincing them that a $200 Lee Anniversary kit is enough to get going, and they are still happily producing good ammo from those kits.

Now most LGS's are also stocking and promoting the Lee kits, so that at least is a step in the right direction.

You can understand the desire for importer/wholesaler and retailers to want to sell higher priced stuff as it is better for their profit margin.

I think the internet and eBay have helped to educate folks and put reasonably priced products within their reach.
    Last edited by Pressman; 03-17-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have seen reports of RCBS supporting products in Europe based on a phone call. Warranty parts are shipped free just like in the US.
    I have heard that RCBS customer service is not even set up with a way to take payments. They certainly have never charged me for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post
    Hi Richard, no storms here. You're thinking of SE Qld, 1200 kms south of us. We may get a cyclone or two this season though, so stay tuned.

Those warranties are worth squat here. Any problems would need to go through the importer/wholesaler and they really don't give a damn.

Reloading stuff has always been available, just not a wide variety of choice. We even have a local company called Simplex which makes some good stuff, but it is still relatively expensive.

LGS's would tell customers they need to spend about $600 to get started in reloading by buying Hornady, RCBS etc.

I have got quite a few started by convincing them that a $200 Lee Anniversary kit is enough to get going, and they are still happily producing good ammo from those kits.

Now most LGS's are also stocking and promoting the Lee kits, so that at least is a step in the right direction.

You can understand the desire for importer/wholesaler and retailers to want to sell higher priced stuff as it is better for their profit margin.

I think the internet and eBay have helped to educate folks and put reasonably priced products within their reach.
    Last edited by Pressman; 03-17-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Norbrat, face the fact that EDG hates Lee!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I have seen reports of RCBS supporting products in Europe based on a phone call. Warranty parts are shipped free just like in the US.
    I have heard that RCBS customer service is not even set up with a way to take payments. They certainly have never charged me for anything.
    That might be the case here too, but I don't know.

In these times when communicating world wide is much easier, I have no doubt the way business is done has improved greatly.

I suspect that 20 years ago, attempting a warranty phone call to the US with the time zone differences and cost of such phone calls would have turned most people off.

And then being asked to ship the faulty item back; if it was a press, it would cost almost as much as it was worth to send by air, and by sea would take at least 8 weeks.

Now you can send an email and a digital photo of the problem and it can be sorted quickly.

The higher "quality" brands are also well represented here; I reckon the percentage of Lee/other is probably much the same here as anywhere else.

I'm a tinkerer and don't like spending money on stuff which will do the same job at a much higher price.

My original post was just to point out that we pay RCBS/Hornady etc prices for Lee products here, and everything else is 2-3 times as expensive, much like for you folks.

For example, an online gun shop here is charging AUD$240 for the Lee Anniversay kit and AUD$489 for the Hornady Lock-n-Load kit.

For someone who has just bought a rifle and wants to reload, finding another $240 is much easier than another $489.

Sure, the Hornady is "nicer", but more than twice as nice to do essentially the same job? For a lot of folks, probably not.

I've had issues with Lee products; I've never been able to get the bullet feeder working properly, and the Universal Powder Charging Die for the Perfect Powder measure has never worked for me. A close look at that design shows the geometry is not quite right, and it is no longer offered by Lee, probably because of this.

And of course I also have the dreaded Pro 1000 primer feed issues, but have worked out how to get around them most of the time.

So Lee are far from perfect, but I consider their offerings to be good value which on the whole do the job asked of them.

And for us here DownUnder, when we seem to get screwed by every importer and wholesaler, Lee provides us with decent value.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Whatever, each to their own.

I have no brand loyalty. I buy whatever I think will do the job and what I think represents the best value.

For example, vehicles I have owned include VW, Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Subaru and Nissan, all have done what I asked of them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ItZaLLgooD View Post
    My reloading bench is red. I have no issues with anything I have purchased from Lee. The safety scale leaves a little to be desired but works just fine. Without Lee Precision I would not be able to reload for the 5 or 6 cartridges that I do.
    Mine too. I was planning on a Dillon progressive as a follow on to my Lee single stage and 4 hole turret presses but discovered the Lee powder measures (Perfect Powder Measure and the AutoDrum). They have proven to be so good and have sped up my process so much, I don't need a progressive. My bench is mostly red.

Boolit Master
    So jcwit do you even use a wide array of other brands to know what you are talking about? I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    EDG

I use two blue 650 progressive presses and a green turrent press. tried the lee pro 1000, would make ammo but kinda finikie unless you buy one for each caliber. Now when it comes to the other stuff, I have three lee hand primers ( old style, round primer trays) and enough lee dies to cover all my calibers and my neighbors. I like buying the basic dies for the usual standard calibers so when a friend or neighbor gets a new gun, i can do ammo right away. I like the lee crimp dies and usually the first place i go when i need something is a lee website. Also have a dozen or so push thru sizers. Lee may not make the top quality products but it is good and solid. I will continue to buy Lee products unless I really need the extra quality

Boolit Bub
    This thread has been running so long that I'm sure some of the originals have gone on to the great hereafter, but I would just like to say that I view Richard Lee as one of the dearest friends I never got to meet. He made it possible for me to start reloading in the 1960's when I would have never been able to afford it otherwise. I have always had Lee products ever since even though I have RCBS, Pacific, Lyman, and the rest. They all make good stuff and were all good values. Just maybe though the Lee gave more value for the dollar most of the time. Yes some of the products might have needed a little improvement, so they were improved. I always felt like I was a partner in Lee's research and development process. If the Lee equipment had been as well developed back then as it now is, I doubt that I would own as much as their competitors' products as I do. The 6-cavity mold works so well for me that I have sold all my 4 and 6 cavity molds from the other companies, even the H&G's, though the quality of the RCBS mold is superb.
    The renowned Phil Sharpe held in highest regard Oscar Mossberg because he was able to make good quality firearms that shot as well as any, yet could be afforded by the common man, something Bill Ruger would later also do. Richard Lee excelled in the same manner making it possible for untold thousands to take their first step in reloading. God bless him and he has my undying gratitude.

My bench is about 80% red 13% green 6% orange and 1% other. I have been using Lee dies, molds, presses, lube & sizing kits (pan lube & push thru),trimmers/case length gauges, auto prime, load alls, and various other items. I have molds and dies I've had since the 1980's that are still going strong. I have never had a problem with a single piece of Lee equipment which includes 53 die sets, 73 molds, 3 Load ALLs (12,16,20 ga) & 47 Lee Loaders. I love Lee.

Lee is hit or miss. The dies are ok, but the internal finish can be rough. The molds work, but they don't really hold up over time. Their push through sizing is ok, but tumble lube is messy, and it's a 24 hour process. Lee presses work but again, they are good enough but no more. The classic "O" press might be an exception to that. It's pretty sturdy. Lee shell holders are not very good. Their fit is always a compromise. Too many times they try to make one size fit all. The 45-70 shell holder comes to mind. It is also , according to them, the same shell holder as the .348 Win. Well, no, it's not and there are problems with using it for that round. The Lee Load-All shot shell press functions, but just barely. I have ne and I loaded on it but the final crimp was always sketchy. I used a lot of wax in those days keeping shot in incompletely closed hulls. So I do buy Lee stuff in a pinch but usually not if there is an alternative. That's my take on it.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

If it wasn't for Lee i wouldn't have the tools to reload and the ammo is more accurate than me and more accurate the mass produced. Only reason I have other tools is because the members here sold it to me for a great price. All tools in competent hands are great tools.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    Lee products are kinda like a Model "T" they serve a purpose. They are sparton in appearance and function and priced for the thrifty. Some of us however are willing to spend just a tad more for a more durable product. Kinda like the difference between a Ford and a Cadillac. If you want function only you buy the model "T" the Lee and if your after all the bells and whistles and added features you opt for a better brand. To each his own.

Mostly Lee items on my bench...Classic Cast one step, Classic Cast turret, Hand press (all with bushigs)...Lee case length gauges and trimmers to use in my cordless drill...2 auto disc powder measures...dipping spoons.....misc parts. Don't like their scale with my eyes so use a 5-0-5 and Most of my accessory junk is home made or off e bay..I have almost all Lee dies (FLS and collet)....The only thing about Lee is some of their plastic parts like the trays for their on press primer dispenser has a lot of flashing and often won't open or close properly but a q uick swipe with a knife blade or file and that problem is gone. Always had good service when I've had a question.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    If it wasn't for Lee i wouldn't have the tools to reload and the ammo is more accurate than me and more accurate the mass produced. Only reason I have other tools is because the members here sold it to me for a great price. All tools in competent hands are great tools.
    I know there are some cartridges i wouldn't be loading for since other die makers cost near 200$ for the die set that lee charged 30 some odd dollars for.

I love Lee's factory crimp dies. They are a godsend on 32-20, 38-40, 44-40 and 45 ACP. Until I got an RCBS Pro Melt I had no idea what a poor piece of equipment my Lee bottom pour lead pot was. Ugh! The RCBS is so superior but then, you could by 5 Lee pots for what Pro Melt goes for. It comes down to this I guess. If getting the job done is most important then Lee stuff works well enough. If form has value Lee will always come up short. That's my $.02
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    Red is the only colour on my loading bench. I only load pistol rounds, so nothing that really puts any strain in the machine.

If i had the money i'd love to go blue, they are smooth, but my lee 1000 had loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds that shoot just as good is they would have if loaded by a blue press.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast