Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: All the Complaining That Goes On About Lee Precision

All my sizers are LEE, $20.00 each complete with the catcher... Cant complain.

All my presses (4) are LEE, scale, primers, 1/2 my dies are LEE as well.

I just made an order at NATCHEZ for 2 LEE 6 cavity molds and a die set for a hundo, shipped.

Perfect tooling? No. But it works, I can modify it without remorse and the way my kids are stealing them, I will be buying more! That's OK though, 2 sons are now reloading too and the third is eyeing my progressive set up for 9mm (he can have it!).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    ... Perfect tooling? No. But it works, I can modify it without remorse and the way my kids are stealing them, I will be buying more!
    Ditto. I can understand that some folk really appreciate the fine surface machining of Redding, Forster, etc., tools. What I've never understood is those dummies who (LOUDLY!) proclaim Lee's tools to be "junk"! As you observe, Lee's tools work and working is what many of us want. I don't mind cleaning up a few cosmetic tooling burrs here and there, in fact I rather enjoy doing it.

Buy Lee stuff or not, we enjoy the competitive market effect of Lee's rational prices; without Lee we would be looking at much higher prices (and somewhat less innovation) from all other makers!

We ordered 2 NOE molds this week due to the lack of .264 molds from Lee. I am sure they will be beautiful and I will happily use them right next to the two Lee molds that arrived today.

Boolit Master
    only thing not lee i use is my wamadet press and lyman scale and measure, but use a lee measure as well for flake powders .

Boolit Master
    I have loading tools from a lot of manufactures and don't really care what they look like. I have only had a couple of problems with Lee mostly involving the Pro 1000 and it's primer set up. It is made with an open slot in the top of the primer slide and has the powder spitter directly over that slot. Just a few bits of powder in that slot and the primers hang up. A piece of plastic milk jug affixed over that slot fixed the problem but why turn loose a press with a problem that a 2 cent piece of plastic can fix.
    I have three of the pro 1000s so don't start with the Lee Basher bit. Lee has done a great job of getting folks to start reloading without mortgaging the farm but some of their stuff is cheesy. The pro 1000 is the most difficult press I have ever used to get set and keep set properly. My Star that everyone seems to think is great is the second worse. I have about 20 presses so I have used a few different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    II have three of the pro 1000s so don't start with the Lee Basher bit.

The pro 1000 is the most difficult press I have ever used to get set and keep set properly. .
    Now my experience has been the complete opposite with the Pro1000. Like you and so many others as long as the primer chute is kept clean and full I have no problems. I start with a cleaned brass case and size, prime, fill and seat all on the press. Spent goes in, finished comes out. Aside from die adjustment there is only one timing adjust to be made on the Pro1000. How much simpler can it get? The only one simpler than that is the new Pro400 ABLP.

My only wish is that Lee would have added the 4th station when they upgraded the Pro1000. Instead they came up with the Pro4000 ABLP which to me is a hybrid of the Pro1000 and the Turret press. Also prefer the turret heads as opposed to the bushings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Now my experience has been the complete opposite with the Pro1000. Like you and so many others as long as the primer chute is kept clean and full I have no problems. I start with a cleaned brass case and size, prime, fill and seat all on the press. Spent goes in, finished comes out. Aside from die adjustment there is only one timing adjust to be made on the Pro1000. How much simpler can it get? The only one simpler than that is the new Pro400 ABLP.

My only wish is that Lee would have added the 4th station when they upgraded the Pro1000. Instead they came up with the Pro4000 ABLP which to me is a hybrid of the Pro1000 and the Turret press. Also prefer the turret heads as opposed to the bushings.
    My feelings to , I like the priming setup on the ABLP but prefer the turrets on the pro 1000 and LCT .

Banned
    I dont have anything from Lee. who?

All Redding and RBCS.

I made the mistake of buying a hornaday(horrible) die set. It was for a 9.3x57 . Ended up getting 9.3x62 RCBS dies and modifying them by shortening the die

Quote Originally Posted by Xcelerationrules View Post
    Getting back into reloading.
    Had rcbs setup years ago worked flawlessly.
    Ordered the classic turret press along with dies and extra turrets.
    What junk..Never buy anything lee again.id rather just buy factory ammo.

Sounds like operator error, I have this Lee Turret Classic that loads 45ACP flawlessly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0045.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Keeping the primer slide clean is the hardest part on the pro 1000. Short cases such as 9mm with a full load of powder tend to throw powder from the case unless you are very careful how you operate the handle. Between that and the powder spitter (lees powder measure) throwing powder around and the sensitive nature of the primer slide which is located right under the two places powder gets spilled, I keep an air hose by the press to keep the spilled powder off the press. The primer set up on the pro 1000 is not a good design. Many of lee products are quite good. I really like the case trimmers and the hand press and I have no problems with Lee dies but the pro 1000 primer set up is the worst Iv'e seen. The primer set up on the Lyman AA is a poor design as well. Lee isn't the only one that makes some equipment that doesn't work well.

rbuck351 I load 380, 9mm, 45acp and 38Spl on my Pro1000 and to solve the powder spill on rotation I have developed the habit of placing the bullet in station 2 after it comes down from the powder measure and just before it starts to rotate. Also when I mounted my press I rotated the whole press counter-clockwise about 20* which makes it a lot easier to see into the case and also place the bullet. Also I find I have less issues with the Pro1000 priming than I do with the Safety Prime on the new ABLP but maybe that's because I have been using it much longer.

Boolit Master
    kmw, thanks for the idea, I'm going to try placing the bullet at station 2. That should help quite a bit. Also going to try some doctoring of the powder measure to see if I can stop the powder spitting. It doesn't take much to jam up the primer slide.

rbuck I have also seen where people have taken a piece of clear cellophane tape and covered the open slot to keep powder out. I find the bigger culprit to be powder getting under the case and into the primer seating anvil to where the primer will not sit flat. So I pay closest attention to powder on the shell plate. What powder measures are you using?

Boolit Bub
    I just wish LEE would expand their cast bullet mold selections. Like maybe a 147 gr. 9mm or a 245 gr. Keith style bullet for 44 Mag. Just sying that they could be selling more molds. I have their 9mm 120 TC and 125 RN which I shoot a lot of.

Boolit Master
    I'm using the pro auto disc and have surfaced the top and bottom of the discs and also have a couple of the adjustable powder slides which seem to work a bit better. I cut a piece of milk jug plastic that snaps in place over the primer slide which keeps most of the bits of powder out of the slide. Now the main problems appear to be the bits falling in the primer punch area. I have managed to blow one primer slide assy off the press when a bit of powder stopped a primer only part way on the punch. Wakes you right up. I actually like the pro auto disc on the other presses I have as they aren't sensitive to bits of powder.
    As far as Lee molds, I like a lot of the handgun molds but I have yet to find a Lee nose rider mold that has a nose big enough to touch the bore. Some are as much as .006 undersize. A mold for a 308 should have a nose of .300 not .294.

Well as I see it for a company to get so many complaints it has to be a popular company.
    As others have mentioned the outsides are not as pretty as other brands but on the inside where it counts they are.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    Lee has many products others don't make. Some of there products are copied by other brands.
    Some of the Lee items are based on older designs.
    I have no problems with either happening.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    Lee has many products others don't make. Some of their products are copied by other brands.
    Yep.
    Some of the Lee items are based on older designs.
    Like, ALL of our loading tools are the result of decades of small improvements by many people; I don't think it's going to stop in my lifetime.

For tool progression, the highly (over) hyped RockChucker press is now in what, it's fourth or fifth generation? And a longish string of other presses have come and gone from the RCBS line; ditto other tools and brands. If any brand had a lock on perfection there wouldn't be such a long line of long lost stuff!

Have to agree with most of 1hole's post.....but I like RCBS products....they've been good to me for 45 years. Hype aside, they are tools that work....I don't buy a new hammer every time someone comes out with a new one.....but if there's a new tool that comes out that changes my life and makes it easier, I don't wait long to try one out. Last two was the RCBS Pro Chucker 7, and most recently the Lee APP....Love them both!

There has never been made a perfect press, not even Dillon has one. I'm much more interested in a thread that talks about how someone improved a tool than one that just criticizes it.

One more thing, and it's been said before.....if it wasn't for Lee, the reloading hobby would be a lot smaller, and rarer. Thankyou, John and Richard Lee!
    Last edited by GWS; 04-02-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Speaking of lost stuff how many generations of Lee priming tools have come and gone?
    I am not sure some of the later generations were very good since I am still using the real original Lee priming tool with the screw in shell holders.
    EDG

I use a mix of reloading products and tools, but many are Lee items too, from dies to powder measures ...

A range acquaintance of mine is a dedicated RCBS man, however. He won't have a Lee product anywhere near him. Must've experienced a trauma in childhood or such ...

He never fails to remind me that you can take a pencil and a sheet of paper and spell out the word 'L-E-E' all day and not see one 'R', 'C,' 'B,' or 'S' anywhere in it. That should tell you something, he says.

Which is also why, he further advices, that in 40 years of handloading he's 'never blowed up a gun' with RCBS products.

'Word to the wise,' he concludes ...

He'll sometimes shake a finger for emphasis while dispensing these epiphanies to a listener.
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 04-04-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast