Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Casting Bird Shot

Sometimes here, but never there (with apologies to Bud Abbott)

Casting Bird Shot

It is my understanding that bird shot is not suitable for casting boolits, due to the levels of arsenic and antimony used. My thought is to use some to strengthen my pure lead. I believe bird shot runs to approximately 1-2% arsenic, which is 4 to 6 times the percentage in WWs. I am less sure of the antimony concentration, but I was hoping to mix 3 to 4 oz of bird shot with one lb of cable sheathing or roof flashing lead to approximate WW alloy.

Is this reasonable? Does anyone know the actual range of antimony concentration in bird shot. What I have on hand is 7 1/2 target shot.

THX
    Saddle

Boolit Master

Sounds like it would be simpler and more to your advantage to trade your bird shot for wheelweight ingots.

Unless you just have a lot of soft lead that you need to use up. In that case you would be able to stretch your soft lead a lot further with the addition of the bird shot

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

Read up. Good info here. Will answer your questions.

Boolit Master
    For alloy calculation, magnum shot is assumed to be 4% antimony, 1.5% arsenic and the balance lead.

To arrive at WW alloy, you would need to turn that around. Mix 5 oz of cable sheathing with 1 lb of shot (and 100 grains of tin).

Boolit Master

This is (2) 25-pound bags of #7.5 Magnum Lead Shot with free freight to anywhere in the USA.

Our graphite-coated, high-antimony Magnum Lead Shot (American Standard) has the equivalent hardness factor of 5% Antimonial Lead Alloy. Some brands will add cost to the base price.

This product is shipped via US Mail and can not be shipped via UPS. If you order the lead shot with other products it will ship separately.
    This is what Rotometals says about there 7.5 shot.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers