Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Classic Turret Press

I was wanting to reduce the time spent making my rifle ammo that my older Lee Turret would not do, so I bought one.

It does a great job on the rifle cartridges like 30-06, 8 X58R, 7.65 X 54, etc.

I also bought the Safety Primer and it works pretty good. Seems kinda flimsy but if you take a little time lining it up with the arm is it fine. Had to buy the riser to use with the rifle charging die so it doesn't hit the primer tray when rotating the turret.

I am going to keep my older turret press for the handgun cartridges as the stroke is much shorter and a case is done in 3 strokes, not 4. Might buy the update kit so the Safety Prime can be used on it to make it even faster.

With the 4 hole turret I can include the Lyman M die to expand the case mouth to accept a boolit.

With the light charges of faster powders I can use the double disk set-up with the Lee Pro Disk measure. I still weigh the charges of powders like SR4759 as it varies up to 1.5grs. 2400 measures much better.

Haven't loaded any full power loads yet but the setup should still work. Might have to dispense 2 charges into the case as one won't give me enough powder.

I think it was a good investment as it saves time. Spent a little more than I thought I would because of the Safety Prime and the riser die. Now just have to find more room to store the 4 hole turrets with the dies in them.

I bought this press earlier this year, along with the priming setup. I've been hand loading for approx 30 years and own several single stage presses. After using the Lee turret press for about 5 months now, I just can't put into words how much I love this press. Since I bought my press, I've accumulated about 10 of the turret discs. Once I have my dies set up for a cartridge, they stay set up. I made a holder to hold the turret discs.

The priming setup works well as long as you use it properly. I've read a lot of negative stuff about this accessory. I had trouble with it initially. What finally got it working well for me was studying how it works and what process must be followed for it to work well. Long story short, I had to slow down (at first). The trick to using this primer setup is to align the primer cup on the ram with the primer arm as the ram is coming down. When the ram is at the right height the primer arm swings in and slips right over the primer seating cup and the primer is then transferred from the primer arm to the primer cup. I'll say it again...the key is to have the ram at the right height when transferring the primer to the primer cup. If you don't have the ram at the right height, the primer will either jam in the arm or it will fall onto the floor. Once you get the hang of lowering the ram until the primer arm slips smoothly onto the primer seating cup, then you can start speeding things up.

I'd always wanted a progressive press setup to speed up my reloading production, especially for handgun ammo. I'm not going to suggest that the turret press is as fast as a progressive press setup, it isn't and never will be. BUT...my turret press is plenty fast for my needs, I no longer need or want a progressive press setup!

BTW, if you are using the Lee auto disk powder dispenser, Lee sells a accessory that allows you to stack the powder disks and double the capacity of the amount of powder you can dispense. Lee also sells a setup that lets you use the Lee perfect powder measure on the turret press. It includes all the parts you need for the linkage to activate the thrower. I have this also but have never taken the time to set it up. That's the ticket to reloading rifle cartridges like the .308 or .30-06....
    Last edited by SkookumJeff; 12-09-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added notes on powder thrower

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

press

The Lee Classic turret is one product that Lee makes well. Much better than the moulds they sell.
    I agree with the primer working flawless if it is engaged on the down stroke at the correct height. Once I found that height I took a black marker and put a mark on the support column. I now may load without picking up primers from the floor.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I found that out about my Classic Turret too, except it's only on the small primers. My large primer I have no problems with.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh, I have had the double disk setup for about 15 years now. I was thinking of devising a triple disk setup to see how that works. I have plenty of disks since I have 2 of the pro powder measures and the DD kit.

I had a Perfect powder measure but the rotor kept warping in it. Lee repaired it a couple of times but I finally gave up on it. WC820 would run right out the side of it.
    I gave my old gray Lyman 55 to my son but that will fit in an expander die with a little force. Then you can operate the lever by hand.

I have a Lyman 55 measure too, I thought I saw somewhere that someone had made/sold an adapter for mounting the Lyman 55 on top of the Lee expander die..? To be honest, I don't load that much volume for my rifles and I've grown accustomed to using my Lee dippers and a powder scale to hand weigh my powder charges for hand loading ammo for my large caliber rifles (444 Marlin and 45/70). If I really want to speed up ammo production I'll dial in and use my Lyman 55 which is mounted just above my turret press to measure out my powder charges, but I'm getting so lazy I rarely take the time to set it up anymore, just use the Lee dippers LOL. I like hand loading as much as casting or shooting so it's all good.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkookumJeff View Post
    I have a Lyman 55 measure too, I thought I saw somewhere that someone had made/sold an adapter for mounting the Lyman 55 on top of the Lee expander die..?
    Here's the thread with the info you want.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=122057&page=2

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

That adapter is what I was thinking of. THANKS!!

I've had my Lee Classic Turret press for about six months and I am still in love with it! I reload 9mm, 38 sp, 357 mag, 40 cal, 45 ACP, and .308 Win on it. I'll keep it until I wear it out and then I'll buy a new one.
    -Roger
    Lifetime Member of the Priesthood of Ballisticians

Remember 31 Connollystraße

OIF I & III, Brave Rifles!

Faith Under Fire; An Army Chaplain's Memoir
    ISBN# 9780307408815

Boolit Grand Master

I had an old Lyman 55 that I just screwed into the case expanding die top fitting. There are no threads in the hex aluminum piece in the top of the Lee die, but with just a little force the Lyman fitting screws into it.
    No longer have the Lyman as I gave it to my son.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    You can also put a Hornady case activated powder drop with a RCBS Uniflow powder measure on top of it on the Lee. It works very well. You'll need to take some care in how you align things, but it will fit and will give you case activated powder drop in larger capacities and handle rifle powders much better.

Best Regards,

Dave