Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: to alter or not?

Banned

to alter or not?

hi, I was looking at a nice used riffle the other day cheap!98 mauser action .375/.348cal. Im not familur with this round.I was thinking of having it rebarreled for .308 norma mag.does any one now how much the bolt face differs.Or would I be better off looking for a diffrent donner riffle.Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds like it might be a wildcat. But if its a good deal, snatch it up! Buy it for the action, figure out what size the bolt face is and re-barrel it to a caliber of your choice that uses that head-stamp.
    Could you have misspelled the caliber? or is that exactly the way it is presented? Sounds like it may be the .348winchester blown out to .375 cal. If thats the case, you might be able to ream the breach out to a more usable and easy to get caliber. Like .375H&H?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I don't have the Data in front of me, on the diameter of the .348 rim, but it is a rimmed case, that Blows out straight to make the 50 Alaskan, So i imagine it is larger than .511 by some amount, the .308 norma Mag if I recall is based on .375 H&H brass ( it is basicly a .300 winchester magnum "done right') so will use the "standard" magnum bolt face of .532. I am leaning to the rim on the .348 being larger than that, but a quick trip to the SAMI web site should provide you with the correct info.

Personally if the 375/348 Works ( IE: feeds ) well it sounds like a Hoot to me. i would be interested in playing around with that one.

Star line runs the ocasional 50 Alskan brass, ( basicly a .348 basic brass..... ) so it should not be hard to feed, just slightly expensive, though i imagine 100 rounds of brass would last a long time.

Boolit Grand Master

I would guess a Siamese mauser.
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    I understood it to be 348 win parent case necked up to 375.With a ruler im getting apox 9/16"across the bolt head wich would be somewhat greater than.600 were as the 308 norma is .532. It was my hope to get it done without bolt work but thats out of the ? I dont have much use for .375. elk is the largest critter I shoot and my 308 norma gets it done nicely.I thought it would be cool to build another 308 norma, I gues ill keep looking for a doner riffle to build my custom mauser 98 .308 norma mag out of.Thanks for all the help.if somone has any thoughts on a useful cal. for this gun iam all ears.

Boolit Master
    I'm with swheeler on this one. Is this made up on a siamese action?.Easiest way is to check the receiver ring for siamese writing and a slanted box magazine. Parts are not the easiest to come by. I think navy arms did a bunch of these a bunch of years ago in 45/70 long and short barreled. I had one and the front sight was fastened on with epoxy, looked to be jbweld. Sold it when money was tight. Frank

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .308 norma mag View Post
    hi, I was looking at a nice used riffle the other day cheap!98 mauser action .375/.348cal. Im not familur with this round.I was thinking of having it rebarreled for .308 norma mag.does any one now how much the bolt face differs.Or would I be better off looking for a diffrent donner riffle.Thanks
    98k Mauser are a good gun if its a 8mm bolt it will work with 30-06 and 308 win 358 win
    and some others im making 8mm brass for mine out of 30-06

what is .357/.348 ???
    a 9.3x62mm .366 case base is .473 so even this bolt will work
    i know 8mm is .323 case base is .473

and you can buy a bolt body for the 98 for 40 to 100 depending and if you want it strip or not

o and at my gun shop i go to here they have a 98k 8mm Mauser and a 98k 308 Mauser for parts thay want 200 ea if you need one i can take pic
    Last edited by xfoxofshogo; 12-16-2011 at 01:20 AM.

As you are asking on a Cast Boolits Site, I would suggest you rethink a rebarrel

the 375 may had a slower twist rate, and the 348 holds a passle of powder.

You may have something that is bettering a .375 Whelan or similar, in a standard action

and if so, you can shoot the J-words like no one's business.

Remember, Keith thought the .375H&H made a Great Elk Round. so the Caliber is sound
    And BullShop thinks VERY Highly of his .375-06's

and if it does have a good twist for cast, it may put them out there with Certain Authority.

I know I would LOVE to have a wildcat like that to play with!

but then, I've always liked the different stuff
    Last edited by nanuk; 12-16-2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: corrected for error in judgement

Boolit Grand Master
    For that matter, Winchester brand brass is still available in .348 Win, just expand the neck and load.

That is if the Mauser is a Siamese that is set up to feed the rimmed round.

Robert