Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An even smaller bullet shooter ?

Boolit Master

Carl did you find some wads? For some reason I have a bag of 1/8 .32 felt wads in the bottom of one of my shotgun boxes that "at this time" I don't have a known need.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Carl did you find some wads? For some reason I have a bag of 1/8 .32 felt wads in the bottom of one of my shotgun boxes that "at this time" I don't have a known need.
    Alan,

No I did not. Neither shop had any that small.

If you are willing to part with them. pm me what you want in $$ or exchange.

Thanks, Carl

25 acp case for primer test

Update;

I drilled and tapped the breechplug for the .315, 25 acp (1/4 – 20), I picked up stainless capscrews. It threads into the barrel side of the plug and once seated, goes into the 25 acp case about 350 thou. Smallest drill I had was 1/16”, good thing I had more than 2!
    Pics just to give an idea of what I did. No the screw is not all the way in, I guess I should have taken another pic. It goes in .150" further than the bottom of the plug.

I tested it today, NOE 316466 (I think thats the #)with 20 grains 3f Swiss, the first 2 had to be pulled with diagonal pliers. They were sticking on the 1/4-20 threads. So i chucked it up in the lathe and took a few thou. off of the threads for the last half inch or less (end in case)
    Tested another, worked fine. All in all I am pretty happy
    Very little blow-by & it goes off like a centerfire

More Powder Needed

Took the .315 out this afternoon.
    Did not have such an easy time with the 25 acp cases today, had to coax them out with some diagonals after shooting.
    I shot 4 at 50 yards to be sure I was on paper. (QR bases used with scope)
    Then shot at 100 yards with the Accurate bullet and 22 grains 3f Swiss, see pic.

I knew I was not holding well enough for a cloverleaf but I felt better than the holes showed………in frustration I decided to bump up the charge. I only had the 22 grains measured out in plastic vials, so I poured 1 in and guessed at half of the next one. So I know I was somewhere between 30 – 35 grains 3f Swiss, see pic again

Next time out will be 35 or so grains ..........

Boolit Master

I've been watching this thread with interest glad to see you are getting results. Looking at the picture the 22 grains is tipping very badly and even looking at the 35 grains looks like they are tipping too kind of hard to tell for sure, need more powder. My 2 cents worth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rhbrink View Post
    I've been watching this thread with interest glad to see you are getting results. Looking at the picture the 22 grains is tipping very badly and even looking at the 35 grains looks like they are tipping too kind of hard to tell for sure, need more powder. My 2 cents worth anyway.
    Thanks for your input !

I did notice the holes as I walked back from the 100 yard log out back.

I posted same at a board where the White ml guys hang out and another friend mentioned the holes also. I do have some more vials with 35 grains loaded in them..................maybe I should reset my measure to 40 and load 5 or 10 of those too.

Boolit Buddy
    carl ,
    The last group looks good but you need to work out the extraction problem with the .25 cases.... unless you want to carry pliers for an extractor with you to the range and in the woods. What do you think is going on there?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 451 Pete View Post
    carl ,
    The last group looks good but you need to work out the extraction problem with the .25 cases.... unless you want to carry pliers for an extractor with you to the range and in the woods. What do you think is going on there?

Pete
    Pete,

I think the hole I cut in the breechplug is smaller at the mouth than inside the hole............wobble on my drill I 'spect. I plan to get another plug and talk to a friend about a ream.

carl

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Wads came in todays mail Alan !

Thanks again !

I am also working on another breech plug liner........try and try again
    need a touch hole around .025"

I'll get it

Banned

What was the twist on this? Could it be a little slow? That might be why they are a little unstable.

Boolit Master

Finaly got them to you Carl, got cought up with w**k and sneaked off hunting.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    What was the twist on this? Could it be a little slow? That might be why they are a little unstable.

Its 1 - 14"

Yesterday I had an afternoon of travel and visiting Anson from Kenokee Trading Post. I showed him the "old plug" and we talked about how I could possibly do another. Last evening and some this evening I cut and polished a new plug for the 25 acp cases. Had to recut about .010" deeper after the first fit. This one has a smaller flash hole than the last, I hope the cases won't swell as much as before with this plug.
    Hope to pull the trigger a few times tomorrow, to see what it will do.

no targets to post

shot the .315 today

that new plug I cut and polished has no blowback !!! the 25 acp cases are clean and shiny other than a tenny ring at the mouth of the case

fouling at the breech end of the barrel was hard to get out when we got done, even though we swabbed between each shot...............................

That's great to hear you got it to work! That makes it pretty neat to shoot without having crud blow all over. I bet it is more accurate with the 25 ACP cases as well, those shotgun primers are just too powerful.

What if you let it soak with some water in the bore and a fired case for a while before you take it apart to clean? That usually helps to make it easier to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    What if you let it soak with some water in the bore and a fired case for a while before you take it apart to clean? That usually helps to make it easier to clean.
    Thanks Nobade !!

Did not even think about that. I'll do that here at home

I was at a friends house, out of town. So I had to clean right there...............at least he had a "hot" water hose.

ps 1 piece plug

Short update.

I have shot the .315 a couple of times since I posted last. Loads of 40 or 45 grains 3f Swiss with the wool wads, the "groups" were not as good as the groups with the wads from the .350 that I have to cram into the .315 Needless to say I have an order of .320" card wads coming from TOW

I also did a "test" with some 1.5F Swiss to see if the fouling could be dealt with. Shot 45 grains under a wool wad and the Accurate 210 grainer. Used 2 wet followed by 1 dry patch, the same as I have been using with the 3f. Looks like the 1.5 f will be an option as I work up loads too

Wads came today from TOW
    Target placed on the 50 yard bullet trap
    I did not feel like walking out to the 100 yard log and I was in a bit of a hurry............the 2 that are outside are..... well simply my own fault for not backing down and not taking another breath when I should have
    These seem to be flying a bit better with the thicker wads. All but 1 were with 40 grains 3f, the other was 45 3f

Boolit Master

Carl it looks like they are starting to like each other.
    Please keep up dating.

Boolit Master
    From the looks of the target, things are starting to come together. It took me a while but I just read through the entire thread. Interesting ideas in here.

For those not inclined to read the whole thing, a picture of the rifle and a brief recap might help.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast