Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fact or myths of reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    It will save you money ( after you've spent $4,000 dollars on molds, sizing dies , top punches, lube sizers, etc. )
    Yes but that $4,000.00 puts meat on the table.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Efforts to load our sloppy chambered factory sporters with conventional bullets as if they are BR rigs is amusing, at least to me.
    What are you saying; should we just "slop" together some ammo for our "sloppy" chambers.

Interesting read here. I neck size my .303 because it shoots great like that and my .303 eats brass (except for Norma) As far as not shooting Glock Brass if it reshapes without splitting I wouldn't worry about it.
    Casting/Reloading saves money. Well this can be true. I save a bundle shootiing my .45 colt. 50 dollars a box versus 8 dollars that adds up quick.

Myth: You can't reload accurate ammo with Lee tools.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    Speaking of Glocks, I heard that you can walk right through a metal detector onto an airliner with a fully loaded Glock.
    When you go to try this I would like to be there to watch. This would make a great "World's Dumbest... " video.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Buddy

Seeing I'm only into reloading for 2years now I have alot to learn so I need to hear more from you guys.
    So far I'm hearing some good stuff but I would like to know more actual facts and myths as well, I am learning alot from this forum so thanks alot guys.

Boolit Master
    It certainly does save you money!
    It's that first boolit that costs $4,000.00
    After that, the rest are free!

Now that is a Classic, I will frame it and put over my bench. My wife will certainly agree no doubt.

As to the offer of help exercising my 90 plus weapons, I had to pull my favorite 15 and focus on them. Otherwise, I get no where and master nothing. If I cast for all of them, I need a foundry.

Boolit Master
    "What are you saying; should we just "slop" together some ammo for our "sloppy" chambers. "

You jump too fast and much too far. Facts are facts; no factory rifle is made to BR standards so "precision" work and components passed the finite accuracy limits of the rifle are meaningless. But, if you find that offensive, you have my blessings to agonize over all the trivia you wish - trivial pursuit can be fun. All I'm saying is I've learned there are limits to what any firearm will ever notice in its ammo.

I used to go WAY overboard loading for factory rifles myself, at least until I learned what actually matters, and expect you will too. But you'll have to get there with experience, not reading reloading columns in magazines or listening to gun shop bull sessons.

Have fun!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    "what are you saying; should we just "slop" together some ammo for our "sloppy" chambers. "

you jump too fast and much too far. Facts are facts; no factory rifle is made to br standards so "precision" work and components passed the finite accuracy limits of the rifle are meaningless. But, if you find that offensive, you have my blessings to agonize over all the trivia you wish - trivial pursuit can be fun. All i'm saying is i've learned there are limits to what any firearm will ever notice in its ammo.

I used to go way overboard loading for factory rifles myself, at least until i learned what actually matters, and expect you will too. But you'll have to get there with experience, not reading reloading columns in magazines or listening to gun shop bull sessons.

Have fun!!
    +1 100%

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    I have heard that you should not reload brass fired out of a glock because of a unsupported chamber, So does this mean I should not pick up brass at the range?
    Anyone know if this is a fact or just a myth?
    Also has anyone else heard of any myths out there or even facts that are questioned?
    I understand that .40 cal ammo (a high pressure round) shot from a Glock with an "unsupported" chamber can be dangerous reloaded (weakened brass + high pressure = kaboom...). I don't shoot .40 S&W, so all this is from what I've read on the subject.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I been reading some more of the posts here and some of the "myths" debunked are facts/methods/ practices that will differ from gun to gun, not absolutely true nor false. For example distance from the lands to the bullet. The only "fact" about this is some guns shoot more accurately with bullets close to the lands (.005" to .010") and some want bullets farther away (.020" to as long as will fit the case). Calling either case (far from lands vs close to lands) a myth is inaccurate at best. Same with cast lead bullet diameter vs groove diameter, guns differ in what shoots best from them...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    "The only "fact" about this is some guns shoot more accurately with bullets close to the lands (.005" to .010") and some ..."

Mdi, being a myth doesn't require that something never be true, it's enough that it's usually untrue. In this instance, the "myth" comes when it's stated that "seating on the lands" gives best accuracy. That's wrong because it doesn't allow for exceptions which, IME, are about 95% of the time when shootin' factory rifles. Anyone who makes a flat out statement about ANYTHING that is supposed to be dependable for 'best' accuracy will lie to you about other stuff too.

Boolit Master

Regarding boolit in lands, How about all those spendy pretty Weatherby rifles out there with their half inch of freebore? Anyone care to comment? My neighbor swears by his 300 WM as a tack driver. I haven't had the pleasure of trying it out from a bench.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Buddy

Heres a myth I have heard/read before, Myth- A 1:9 twist barrel on a AR will not stabalize a 75gr bullet or more
    This weight shoots the best at long ranges with my 1:9 twist barrel

Boolit Master

I have read after a guy on another forum. He is a commercial reloader. Here is what he believes and practices.
    His insurance company will not allow him to sell his reloads to someone that he knowingly fires them in a Glock.
    He will not reuse brass fired in a Glock nor will he obtain brass if there is a remote chance it came from a Glock.
    He claims the damage done to the brass casing is irreversable after it has been fired in some Glocks. He claims resizing or roll resizing will not "undo" the damage. The damage to the case depends on the tolerances of the Glock chamber and the particular thickness of a piece of brass. The damage is microscopic and is a metalurgical failure not visable to the eye.
    The caliber most acceptable to catastrophic failure is the .40 S&W, the 9MM and then the .45ACP in that order. This is based on operating pressures, Pistol design and brass dimensions.
    He goes by the name Ammoguru. Google it. It seems to me he knows what he is talking about.

Boolit Master

Another Glock myth, the 45 GAP is a crappy round. I own a Glock G37 and a G38, both 3rd generation pistols (I believe). The 45 GAP is an odd round, but many police departments seem to be buying them. Plus when the local Cabela store had an end cap loaded with 45 GAP, it empty quickly.
    Will this cartidge hang around, who knows, does the pistol shoot reloads, very well. I just don't shoot cast bullets or copper washed bullet in my Glocks or my HK P7.
    After far accuracy, I have no problem with the pistols, the ground hogs don't get back flip me off, so it must be good.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Here is one please everyone with "factual opinion join in" Myth or Fact "Don't carry any reload for protection cus if you have to eliminate someone the prosecuting attorney will try to eat you alive because there is no research on the lethality or consistency of the load"

I have heard and read this opinion, I also know folks on this forum who carry their own swaged bullets in there carry weapon so whats the actual risks???

Boolit Master

I have never had a CCI primer failure in the 30 years and tens of thousands of rounds I've reloaded!( Not a myth) Only 1 case failure!(Not a myth) still have all fingers,and thumbs on both hands(Not a myth) Knocking on wood after these statements (Definitely not a myth) GT27
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    Here is one please everyone with "factual opinion join in" Myth or Fact "Don't carry any reload for protection cus if you have to eliminate someone the prosecuting attorney will try to eat you alive because there is no research on the lethality or consistency of the load"

I have heard and read this opinion, I also know folks on this forum who carry their own swaged bullets in there carry weapon so whats the actual risks???

Right around zero.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    Regarding boolit in lands, How about all those spendy pretty Weatherby rifles out there with their half inch of freebore? Anyone care to comment? Mine will shoot nice sub 1/2" off the bench when I do my part. My neighbor swears by his 300 WM as a tack driver. I haven't had the pleasure of trying it out from a bench.
    The above statement being said my dad bought one because of how well mine shot. His on a good day will shoot 1 1/2" groups may it be factory ammo or worked up handloads.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Biggest reloading myth:

Handloaded ammo is not as good, safe, reliable or accurate as factory ammunition. HA!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast