RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington Model 580?

Boolit Master

580 in .32

Do you guys mean this one?

To be honest, I'd love to have another in .22 LR for the sake of having it. They are really nicely built little rifles.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Super Moderator

............I bought a Rem 582 the day before I got married 12-13-75. My mom said, "Honey you can't be doing that kind of stuff now that you're getting married." I said I knew that so that's why I bought it now BEFORE I got married Then I suppose along in the mid -90's one of my shooting buddies heard me mention while we were at the picnic table at the range eating lunch, that I'd like to have a Rem 581. He said he had 2 of'em, both new. One with a walnut stock and the other in the box with a hardwood stock. So the next Tuesday he brought them both. I looked at the walnut stocked one and bought it ($150) and didn't even look at the other one.

My 582 has been shot a BUNCH and is sure a lot slicker operating then the 581 The 582 absolutely LOVES Remington Vipers and shoots then exceedingly well. The 582 slings'em all over the place. However the 581 adores Winchester Dyna-Points, and will deliver dime sized groups at 50 yards with'em.

I shot every Tuesday at our range with several other guys for years. An older gentleman was usually there on Tuesday and came over while we were eating lunch and mentioned a friend of his was wanting to sell off some of his guns. So me an 9.3x62AL both ended up with really nice Victory model Smiths. The next week the old guy asked if I'd be interested in a 22 bolt action for $50? Heck yeah. I didn't even ask what it was Turns out it was an older Stevens/Savage 84C with one of those $4.95 22 scopes on it.

I don't know when it was made but the only thing plastic on it is the buttplate. In the RIGHT photo is a modification I made to it to add a second action screw.

I did some stoning and tweaking to a few wear/sliding parts, and it's quite a nice shooting and solid rifle. I call it my 'Western Auto' rifle. The thing is really well made. The dual extractors are even machined steel. I guess I had it a couple months and the guy I'd bought the Rem 581 from walked up and handed me another M84C and said I could have it. He said it wouldn't always fire when you pulled the trigger, but heck free is free! I haven't even taken it apart yet. HAve only had it 10 - 12 years. No sense getting in a hurry I don't suppose

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I have a REM580 SS with a BUSHNELL BANNER 8X scope. Had a local gunsmith hone trigger pull rom 9 or 10 about 2 to 2 1\2 lbs. It loves some old Peters Copper Clad HP bullets I have. As I remember it liked Federals and the low speed ones also. The triple locking bolt has to be a plus also. My son has a 788 in the 22-250 persuasion and about 20 yrs ago I shot the best group of my lifetime. I still wonder why any major manufacturer would build a utility rifle in 22 Long Rifle caliber with a 3 lug bolt. Anyhow can't wait till spring arrives and can spread some catnip in front of those targets again.
    Wife sez "Why do you put catnip in front of your targets?"