MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: My new-to-me Taurus 669, 357 Magnum - 6 inch

My new-to-me Taurus 669, 357 Magnum - 6 inch

The new toy is here!

The Blackhawk was a nice gun, but I was missing the Taurus 66 357 pretty badly. From the best I can tell, there is no difference in accuracy at 25 yards, which some folks will find hard to believe. I've measured the groups with calipers and compared the results. As they say, it is what is!

I noticed a used Taurus 669 (six shot), the predecessor to the seven shot 66. It had no bids, looked good to me so here's my $269 6inch Taurus 669, manufactured in 1992 (per serial lookup on the Taurus website).

It arrived yesterday and was cleaned up. Can't have any of that copper messing up the cast bullets about to be shot! The best loads in the 66 weren't the best in the Blackhawk and now the best in the Blackhawk aren't the best in this new gun. Midrange and light loads just haven't translated well. My first group of H110 and the 180 grain Keith, rested and using iron sights did good (25 yards). I plan to load some more for tomorrow:

Last edited by 357shooter; 12-11-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Looks like you got a good one. When my two sons turned 18 they each received a Taurus caliber .357 6". Both shot fine and my one son still has his 14 years later.
    Individual revolvers sure like individual diets. But when you figure in chamber,throat and barrel gap diffrences there is little wonder why. What gets me is when you can have revolvers from the same company & same model (Ruger Blackhawks 41 mag) and they are out of sorts with the same load. But who really knows who reamed or cut with which tool on what day before the barrel was slammed stamped and crushed into the receiver.
    Mike in Peru
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Thanks! This gun has the best feel so far, love that big wood grip. I used to always through on a rubber Houge or Pachmeyer (sp?). For heavy loads the rubber has to much give, but the wood feels just right.

At least in my medium size hands!
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Thats a very nice looking gun and a very nice looking group.
    Looks like a match to me
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

Congrats I wish I would not have let a 66 go years ago wish I still had it. But I sure like the 85 UL I just got. Nice looking gun ya got there.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Thanks guys. I got to shoot more yesterday and just loved it. It does like big unsized bullets, but after having it for 2 days I'm sure there's lot's more to learn about what it likes.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Master
    357, my brother in law has a Taurus 6", and let me tell you. I envy both of you. I've had several of the brand, and they were good shooters, but nothing like those 6" wheelies.... Maybe one day I'm going to break down and buy one.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

You know guys, I have one of those exact guns I bought in a "Divorce Sale" about ten years ago for $200 and it is STILL one of the best cast shooters I've got. GREAT trigger, nice sights, good groups, and very easy to work on.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

You guys are right, great trigger, great sights, great groups. It's a fun gun to shoot!
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT