Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loading manual

Boolit Master

Lee Loading manual

I bought a Lee Loading manual. It has a lot of info. My problem with the manual is that Lee does not have data for a lot of thier own cast boolit molds. I wounder if there could be a way we could get them to come up with a loading manual for just thier molds. I really think they would be able to sell a whole ****pot load of them.

About the best I can do for Lee's boolits is use the Lyman 46th edition reloading manual because a lot of the Lee boolits are pretty close to the Lyman boolits. When I can't find anything for a cast boolit I just use the copper jacketed data starting loads and work up my own load. With that said, I have had good results using copper jacketed pistol and rifle data straight across the board with the caveat that rifle boolit velocities should be kept below more or less 2000 fps to 2100 fps. I've been doing it that way since about 1984.

One thing about cast rifle loads, they CAN be pushed to about 2800 fps to 3000 fps when boolit alloy, lubrication, and boolit fit in the bore are optimum. But being practical, about the fastest I push cast is 2100 fps in the 6.5 Swedish Mauser, with that velocity having more to do with the fast rifling twist in Swedish Mausers than anything else.

rl 1036
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

The second edition tell's you how to figure out just about any cast bullet's load data.
    I figured out 303,35 Whelan,30-06 while at the laundry matt.
    Read then re-read that chapter and start to play with number's.

In Remebrance

I have several of Lee manuals and I'm just not a fan of their layout. But, it doesn't matter. With cast you pick a similar weight boolit that intrudes into the case about the same amount and start there. You don't need the exact boolit for loading data.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I bought a Lee Loading manual. It has a lot of info. My problem with the manual is that Lee does not have data for a lot of thier own cast boolit molds.
    Respectfully, I beg to differ.
    There is quite alot of "Lead Bullet" data, granted He doesn't specify
    by mold numbers, but I'd bet that Half of all the load data is for
    "Lead Bullets".
    I have Lee's "Modern Reloading 2nd Ed."
    It isn't my GO TO reloading manual, but I usually
    end up there as I use Lee's Disk measure for
    most of my reloading and need there measurements
    in CCs to chose the right disk.

FYI: my GO TO is Lyman's cast bullet handbook #4
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The reason they don't have data for their own bullets is simple: Lee doesn't have a test lab and they develop NO data of their own. All the data you see in his books is merely copied from the original sources. They even copy the occasional typo or error.

The Lee books are valuable and they do contain a lot of interesting material not found elsewhere - but the load data doesn't fall under that description.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    The reason they don't have data for their own bullets is simple: Lee doesn't have a test lab and they develop NO data of their own. All the data you see in his books is merely copied from the original sources. They even copy the occasional typo or error.

The Lee books are valuable and they do contain a lot of interesting material not found elsewhere - but the load data doesn't fall under that description.
    Much like the "1 Caliber" reloading pamphlets. All info comes from manufacturer's sources. Personally I find Lee's load data lacking...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have noticed of late, folks want data for the exact bullet they wish to use. For those of us who have been at this a long time, that is not a concern. Data for a bullet of similar profile and similar weight is plenty good, PROVIDING the loader is not an idiot who is trying to push the red line with over the top loads.

Even is you find data for the same mold it will not the exact bullet as yours, because alloy and casting technique difference will not be the same.

PS: I have the Lee book because some generous soul sent me one free, because it was thought I was missing out, by not having one. I appreciate the thought, but have not found the book to be helpful in any way.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I have the 2nd edition from Lee. It's also not my first go-to book either but it certainly has a lot of info in it. I don't care if Richard/John/Paul or Ringo copied it or not, it pretty much has everyones load info in one place. That in itself makes it pretty handy and worthwhile having...as in all manuals, start at the beginning and work your way up for accuracy/power level as needed.

Also theres a whole lot of different powders listed in this book ( granted most of which I don't use) than you'll find in any other publication.

Boolit Master

I love the Lee manual and plan on getting the new edition after Christmas. Chapters 8,9 and 10 are a fascinating discussion of pressure and elastic deformation of lead bullets and they taught me a great deal about how a bullet works in the gun.

Although I started reloading with their data, I quickly switched over to online data from Hodgdon and the other powder makers as I could access the data without bringing the book with me.

The reason that Lee doesn't use specific molds is that one 405 grain bullet is like another of the same mass.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have noticed of late, folks want data for the exact bullet they wish to use. For those of us who have been at this a long time, that is not a concern. Data for a bullet of similar profile and similar weight is plenty good, PROVIDING the loader is not an idiot who is trying to push the red line with over the top loads.

Even is you find data for the same mold it will not the exact bullet as yours, because alloy and casting technique difference will not be the same.

PS: I have the Lee book because some generous soul sent me one free, because it was thought I was missing out, by not having one. I appreciate the thought, but have not found the book to be helpful in any way.
    Even if it is the same bullet number many have changed over the years so the bearing surface or nose length may be different.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I have lost count of the times I was seeking some load data and found that their min and max were the same. I don't remember it ever working out that way in any of my guns and for that reason I don't trust any of their load data. It is difficult to use much of their load data if you don't trust it. Most of the time I use the Lyman 4th edition if the powder is covered to find a min to start with and then work up slowly while measuring the groups.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Boolit Master
    I of course use other manuals for extrapolating such as the Lyman line of manuals. I have #44, #47, #49, and one made back in the early 70s plus thier #3 cast boolit manual. So I'm not really having a problem. Just thinking out loud. It is allways interesting to hear (read) others ideas. I do like the Lee manual ( I bought it early this year ) it has a lot of info. but it just seemed to be lacking in cast loadings for rifle. Maybe I'm just missing some of the info. I did find stuff for 30-30, 30-06, and a very few others.

Boolit Master

Fortunately LEE had Hodgden run a series of tests and produced a factor table for many cartridges which can be loaded in a spreadsheet and used to calculate velocity and pressure for nearly any cartridge.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    With some exceptions, most cast boolit work is in the mid-pressure range.

As such you can substitute exact bullet wt. for the same or nearly the same and use that start charge and work your way into a load.

Boolitology often is not about maximums but more about mediums........ certain rifle cartridges and high performance handgun loads not withstanding.

Three 44s

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The value of the Lee reloading book is that IT DOES USE ORIGINAL DATA. In researching one always wants to go to the original data, no matter the topic, unless of course you want to quote the man in the street, the second hand info, the SWAGs and similar. You can easily reach lousy data on reloading via the internet though. Think of , uncorrected typos, uncalibrated typewriters, guys that can't read their measuring sticks correctly and similar. Lee's lead bullet chapter is good too.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Banned
    Linstrum:
    One thing about cast rifle loads, they CAN be pushed to about 2800 fps to 3000 fps when boolit alloy, lubrication, and boolit fit in the bore are optimum.
    That's what I suspected. The good thing about cast in rifle is you can also have a flat nose and soften the nose while keeping the body hard. Lyman's most accurate 160 grn .308 load is over 2600 fps. I always say check the manuals first!

The "exact bullet" question is almost certainly a carryover from jacketed bullets, where data for the exact bullet definitely IS a matter of concern. It isn't so vital for lead bullets, as we all know - but caution is never a mistake in reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with some of you guys. His data is very good and I use his and the Lymans without worries. I personally do not worry if an exact match for a bullet is listed. It just doens't matter to me. The data gets me in the ballpark.

I personally have found his reduced load formula from the 1st addition, as well as his new 2nd addition, have been a godsend for some fo my loads. I have developed some sweet loads for some of my 30 cal rifles because of his 2nd addition formulas.

If your worried, start low and work up. That always works.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    I have the 2nd edition from Lee. It's also not my first go-to book either but it certainly has a lot of info in it. I don't care if Richard/John/Paul or Ringo copied it or not, it pretty much has everyones load info in one place. That in itself makes it pretty handy and worthwhile having...as in all manuals, start at the beginning and work your way up for accuracy/power level as needed.

Also theres a whole lot of different powders listed in this book ( granted most of which I don't use) than you'll find in any other publication.
    i agree with some ,not all.
    my go-too's are lymans, i have the lee 2nd and yes i look at it occasionally but always get steered to pages 140-155 (cast boolit loads) just for a start point or reference.
    then to my lymans.

don't forget George .
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast