Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gp 100

4" stainless GP 100, 358429 and 7 gr. of Unique along with two speed loaders my daily trail companion for many years.

Boolit Bub
    I've got a 4.2" GP100 Match Champion, boy do I love that revolver. It likes cast boolits just fine. I was out with the chronograph just this afternoon.

Boolit Master
    3" gp100 44 special , one of my favorites to shoot right now along with the 44 Bisley

Love my 6 inch stainless gp100 . I shoot 154 gr plain base and 180 gr gas checked cast in mine with no problems at all .

I really like mine, ....and I'm an old 686 snob.

Ruger GP100 4.2" shot hits on steel at 90 yards. 6.5gr Win231, SNS 158gr RNFP coated,

Last edited by derek45; 03-01-2020 at 12:29 AM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

That is a LOT of W231...

Boolit Master
    Would have expected a bigger fireball from 65 gr of 231!
    I love my Gp100s. The early 4 inch stainless shoots cast well, as does the 5 inch 44Special. My only 6 inch is a Clements 41special, I never shot the 357 core. All handle cast without issue and have never leased, all throats fairly consistent and slightly larger than groove dia on the barrels. Happy owner here, just wish they had stayed with the original front sight design. The44 took some fiddling to get on at 25 yards with Skeeters load.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

corrected it to 6.5gr

I think I shoot better than I type.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

In the summer when the ground squirrels are out and there is plenty of fresh dry dirt on their mounds it is fun to shoot at the mounds off at extended distances. With my 4" GP I can keep almost all of my shots on a mound that is roughly 24" in diameter at 200 yards off hand. A very durable gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger must have changed the geometry on the newer GP's. I bought a 6 inch stainless when the GP100 first appeared, prefix # 172, did some polishing on the lockworks and had a pretty nice action and the revolver was scary accurate from the ransom rest. Years later, I bought a blued 4 inch, prefix #174, was really lousy from the ransom rest and leaded like crazy. Upon close inspection, the forcing cone was cut off center and there was what looked like a gouge in one of the grooves about half way down the barrel. I returned it to Ruger and they replaced it with one with the prefix # 177. This is a really nice one out of the box. Light, smooth action and as accurate as it should be. The only thing I can see different is the newer trigger has a raised boss on both sides to reduce side play. I tried swapping springs and no change, the newer revolver is still lighter and smoother with no polishing on my part. Ruger must have upped their game. Maybe some of the Match Champion upgrades made it to the standard guns as well.

Only time will tell, but I believe that the GP100 will have the same product longevity as the Blackhawk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12