WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2PBcastcoInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: patch templates and instructions

Boolit Grand Master

Papers abrasiveness is why the bore shines up with paper patched bullets and not as much with cast or copper jackets. At times lead has been used as a high pressure lubricant for steady rests, follower rests, dead centers and such. When we needed super fine finishes in the tool room we polished to crocus then a clean piece of paper towel or paper. Paper varies in thickness grain structure size and strength when you find one that works stock up on it. Alot of the old Paper patched target rifle rifling shows a radious to the rifling from mant 1000s of rounds of Paper Patched bullets over the years. I use onion paper or the seth cole drafting paper to wrap with its thin wraps good and little memory to it.

Boolit Master
    one of the final polishing materials used on the Samurai swords was paper. I think I read somewhere that they spent the larger part of a month doing the final polishing that way.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

wasn't lead used as a bearing material in vehicle engines until not that long ago?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Grand Master

In auto and the naveys ships thrust bearings were a alloy of lead. Alot of early machines (lathes mills shapers planers) bearing were babbit. Easy to replace and work with.

Boolit Buddy
    OKay, question for sizing paper patches.... After patching the under-sized cast bullet (~.310 - .312) diameter, and then mashing through a .314 sizing die, it measures at .316. Is this just spring-back from the paper? I've fired cartridges using PP bullets of this size and have had some very good results, but is this the way it's supposed to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by TomBulls View Post
    OKay, question for sizing paper patches.... After patching the under-sized cast bullet (~.310 - .312) diameter, and then mashing through a .314 sizing die, it measures at .316. Is this just spring-back from the paper? I've fired cartridges using PP bullets of this size and have had some very good results, but is this the way it's supposed to be done?
    Yes. I always get .001 - .0015 springback in the paper.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    I happen to have a Delta Crossbuck saw out in the garage. Slipped a sharp 7-1/2 plywood blade on the crossbuck and mounted the blade (backwards)____Cut a plastic school ruler to length and angle so's to be my patching temp-let.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234