PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: patch templates and instructions

In Remembrance

As an answer to the, so far, unasked question "What angle on the patch is best"? The answer is simply whatever works best for you. I have seen it expounded upon that the best angle is a 30 degree or that the 60 degree is best and of course there is the faction swearing by the 45 degree cut. I`ve seen different "experts" in publications from the Rifleman to books by authors that have lived with patching and all seem to favor different angle cuts. Myself, I use a 60 degree angle cut with decent success. So if I were giving advice, try all three angles and see what works for you.

Montana Charlie. Yup, that open spot is on all my patched slugs and it works fair by me.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    As an answer to the, so far, unasked question "What angle on the patch is best"? The answer is simply whatever works best for you. I have seen it expounded upon that the best angle is a 30 degree or that the 60 degree is best and of course there is the faction swearing by the 45 degree cut. I`ve seen different "experts" in publications from the Rifleman to books by authors that have lived with patching and all seem to favor different angle cuts. Myself, I use a 60 degree angle cut with decent success. So if I were giving advice, try all three angles and see what works for you.

Montana Charlie. Yup, that open spot is on all my patched slugs and it works fair by me.Robert
    I too am a 60º wrapper. Have tried everything else and 60º is what works best for me.
    The gap doesn't seem to bother much, but a lap on the final wrap seems to cause flyers.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Grand Master

I no longer contribute to this forum.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-13-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-13-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Longwood
    I cut mine at 60 degrees.
    Or is it 30?
    All depends on how I look at them.

Boolit Bub
    It seems to me that a good cutting board/cropping board would be the ideal way to cut these patches.

Anyone ever use a cigarette rolling paper as the patch?

in Remebrance
    OK, my question for the day is why sometimes wrap dry or sometimes wet? I've started out wrapping wet and wet paper definitely has its own problems. Haven't tried dry yet but can't quite grasp what keeps the patch from loosening. After you wrap dry can you still run them thru a sizer? Goat

Never had any luck dry patching myself. I want the patch to shrink tight on the bullet and lock into the grease grooves. Works best for me anyway.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Had way too much spare time last weekend so I thought I'd have a crack at my own patch design for the little Lee 105 SWC.

The white triangles are a pain in the butt to cut out but the end product is good for a laugh.

Last edited by Aces an Eights; 08-27-2012 at 04:07 AM.

That's way cool! How do they shoot? And the curved leading edge? Does that have any practical value? It those work a punch can be made to cut them out quickly for 'mass production'. That base idea could be the start of a new thing. You should develop it further (along with a punch device). And I'm being serious. You never know, it might work a treat (not because of the hazard warning but because of the principal. It'll cover the base and possibly come off the base better than other forms).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Might "pinking shears" work for the base cut?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinking_shears

With the iron sight Rossi I couldn't really see much difference in grouping, so I'll have to do a better test with some in a 30 cal with a scope.

However I was surprised at how well the little pp 105 performed and there was a bit of interest down at the range.

Last edited by Aces an Eights; 09-02-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I went to the local printer/stationer, and he will cut the paper in almost any width I like with his guillotine shear, can do about 50 in a stack with a cardboard stiffener on both sides, all for $5, using my paper- though he has a selection. He can do vertical or horizontal cuts, as I request. Comes out rubber banded in stacks of 50- 100, all I do is separate into scissor sized stacks, staple one end, and scribe the lines, then cut them off. Bet I can do 1000 in 1 hr, if I can keep concentration up!
    Doug

BTW, this was done by the printer while I waited, maybe 10 min!

Boolit Bub
    I use a template cut from a Bud can, and cut 6-8 patches at a time with a single edge razor blade, holding the template down hard on a vinyl tile. I guess I could cut strips with a paper cutter, then do the angled ends with my template.

Boolit Bub
    very cool

Good Steel,
    Your step by step photos are great! I do have one question. On the last photo of Post #10, you are marking the excess paper for the correct length for two wraps. My question is this: Have you twisted the patch the correctly for a right hand twist barrel?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	96061
    I've done more than my fair share of Teflon tape on pipe fittings. You gotta go the other way or the threads just chew the Teflon up. I know that's the way it is for pipe, is it the same for paper patching? Or does it matter for the brief fraction of a second the patched boolit travels down the barrel? Perhaps you were patching for a left hand twist barrel? Please advise.
    That photo brought back memories of the last round of remodeling!
    Thank you and regards,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 02-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-13-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    When you wrap DRY, what keeps it tight? How does it NOT loosen up please?If wrapping WET, what do you wet with?
    thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I have a roliing wheel paper cutter set up to cut patches and it works very well. I glue 10 sheets of onion papers on 2 edges. I have a fence made to set width at what I want for a given bullet. I then cut the strips to width. With double faced tape I then tape a triangle down in place and set the fence for length. ( all of these dimensions are wrote down in my note book) and by laying the strips along the edge of the triangle I get angled ends and side thru to touch fence and I have length. I can cut a bunch of patches very quick. Finding the "grain" of the paper is another overlooked factor. The paper cutter set up is much quicker and easierthan the templates are. The tapered edges are done so the seam dosnt sit on land one time and in groove next. I have recovered patches at diffrent times the outer wrap is in confetti on the ground and the under wrap is with the tail showing rifleing impressions. The soft slugs are deformed past seeing the shank enough to tell if there is any thing there. If possible recover some of your patches making note of condition and where they were in relation to the muzzle.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-13-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast