RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Looks like I just bought a new press

Looks like I just bought a new press

I just bought a Hornady Pro-jector from a fellow board member.

I have used my RCBS RC for the last couple years and this is my first time using a progressive. I am looking for advise on setting up and running the press as well as any tips on extra parts or pieces that make loading on a progressive a little nicer.

One question I can think of right of is, I only have an RCBS uniflow can I make that work or will I need to get a Hornady powder measure.

I think I want to start out with 45 auto and I have a friend who wants to load 223 on it.

Thanks for your help and advise.

You will be fine on either the Hornady or RCBS measure. Both have 7/8" threads required to screw into the powder adapter. Just be sure to use one of the floating bushings in the adapter. Hornady makes a large and small size.
    For the longest time, I used to manually activate the powder measure. It will give good feel of what the measure is doing and if there is any binding. It wasn't until recently that I found a set of the old style auto dispensing parts. But I think a new style case activated powder measure adapter would be the way to go.
    You'll find ball type powders will work the best.

Since you have space on this press, invest in a RCBS Powder Cop Die when loading for pistol. I have one on mine and gives a little peace of mind. It saved me a couple times.

Changing from 45 to 223 is simple enough. Change dies and shellplate and also switch over the primer punch/cup. Easy enough and will take 10-15 minutes once you learn the process. It will probably take longer to find the correct powder setting than do the changeover.

Remember, go slow and never force anything!

Here to help!

In Remembrance

There should have been included an powder height extension tube with your press. Thjis tube screws in to the press top then your powder dispenser of choice screw into it. There also should be a "floating powder funnel" that drops into the extension for letting the powder charge drop thru it and into the case mouth. Be aware that the .223 cases need to be pre-lubed before running them on a progressive press set up. Any more set-up questions - just ask.Robert

Guess I should have mentioned, I bought a used press from a fellow board member. I printed off all the instructions and parts list so that when it arrives I will be able to look everything over and the parts that are missing.

Boolit Master
    If you search "Pro-Jector" on this forum you'll find a couple of relevant threads. There's a couple of us here that have been cranking on Hornady handles for a long time. One modification that will save you some grief from the get go is to remake the piece of flat stock that moves the primer arm as it comes up to have a much longer, steeper angle. This slows the primer arm's travel down which solves most of the primer issues.

BD

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    You might want to think about ordering a case activated powder drop either from Hornady or RCBS. With that you can have case activated powder dropping and even case expansion for pistol.

One less manual thing to have.

So I got all the parts in. I got the Hornady case activated powder drop and the large primer cup. I got every thing set up and running. So far I have loaded over 200 rounds of ammo and it has been great. I have learned that when the primers get down to the last two it will not want to drop them. I had two rounds without primers. But I am going slow and figured out that it feels very different when it does not seat the primer.

Over all I am very happy with it. My next purchase will be a powder cop die. I am not sure if I am going to try to load my 308 on it but I know that my friend will load his 223 on it.

Boolit Master

I have a powder cop die as well as a RCBS powder Lock-Out Die. Of the two I would recommend the RCBS Lock-Out Die. Both look the same but work very differently. The Powder Cop Die works fantastic, if you are VERY observant and watch for the little O-ring on each throw. However, if you are like me and THINK you are observant you will find that sometimes (hopefully rarely) you miss checking the O-ring. The Lock-Out Die simply shuts down the press if there is a squib load OR a over charge. You don't have to be totally focused on the powder check tool. I believe the guy over at www.ultimatereloader.com does a comprehensive review on both the Powder Cop and the Lock-Out Dies. Worth a look. Enjoy the press.

Boolit Master
    I use an 1/8" wood dowel in my primer tube on top of the primers. It rides the primers down so they all feed and then locks out the primer arm when the tube is empty. I have a mark on it at "empty" so I have some warning. I also have a short bit of 3/4" dowel cut to the right length to rest the shell plate on while I refill the primer tube.

I don't know how well the dowel will work with the small primer tube as I don't have a small tube.
    BD