Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overlooked Brands

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Overlooked Brands

What are some other lesser known brands that offer good quality for the money. Thanks, I'll pass this on to my "newbie reloaders". I usually tell them to search for used Pacific, Lyman. Redding, Ohaus, Lachmiller, CH, and Herters stuff. "Just let me know what it is before" they buy it. Some of this stuff is hit or miss on quality, and we need to research it before wasting money on it. So far I'm really impressed with the Pacific Durachrome dies, not so much with the regular ones.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Bair reloading equipment, got me into this years and years ago.

Might be the orginal blue machines.

Boolit Master
    "...Pacific, Lyman. Redding, Ohaus, Lachmiller, CH, and Herters stuff. "

Jim, I've been doing this more than 46 years now and have used all those brands of dies, presses, etc, and more. Bair, Eagle, White, Bonanza, Ruhrr American, Hollywood - and Savage - easily come to mind. NO brand seems to be able to do everything right every time but the ONLY brand of dies I ever felt were too often out of the range I would expect was Savage (yeah, the gun people), and they didn't stay in the reloading business very long.

So far as old presses go, the design features are much more important than the brand. The old 'single toggle' levers have far less power than the current 'compound toggle' system. And modern universal snap-in shell holders matter too, vs. some old designs that were retained by set screws or were actually threaded in place ... or were milled directly onto the top of the ram!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've had contact with all those names at one time or another. I was in West Australia in 1985, I was looking at the full line of reloading equipment made there called "Simplex". They had some very innovative features such as the expander ball in the sizing die was to be removed and used as the pilot to support the same caliber case on the hand turned case trimmer. I bought the case trimmer and a handful of the balls and them lost track of them. Seemed like a convenient feature at the time. I've got a full line brochure around here somewhere. Oh, and it is a very pretty shade of blue, also.

Boolit Master

Guesser,

If you could track down that trimmer I would like to see it or trade you some thing for it. I have lots of super simplex stuff in hand right now ( ala Floodgate via our Australian members,namely Mick). I have been working with them for almost a year. Floodgate has been looking for he Simplex Master press if any one has one.

As to the OP,

I think any brand will get a new reloader going, especially if they have some help form an experienced hand. I have and currently have all those brands plus more and I use everything I have in one capacity or another. Sometimes they get used till I can find or afford different tooling.

Boolit Mold

I know there are some "lower end" products out there that work just fine. For instance I have heard quite a few people run down Lee products but I they have worked very well for me. My advice for them would be more to look for used vs. off brand. I saw a Hornady Progressive with case feeder go for under 300 a couple years ago. Lots of deals if you take time to look.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

What pray tell are the "off brands"? Just wondering.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not seen Texan or Dunbar listed yet. I do not know which I like the most, my Hollywood Senior, my Dunbar 2 holer or my Texan 3 holer.

Boolit Master
    Fred Bertlesman trimmers.

Overlooked brands

I am sooo looking forward to a second Dunbar press.

Scott

Boolit Master

CH4d makes some really nice stuff. They don't seem to get the word out at all. I have never seen them advertised anywhere. Their website is probably the worst I've seen. The only promotion of their products seems to be word of mouth on the forms.

But I can tell you their Champion press is the nicest I've ever used or seen. They also make some stuff you don't see anywhere else; like low cost swaging dies, bullet sizing dies, custom made dies up to 20 mm, etc.

Boolit Master

But I can tell you their Champion press is the nicest I've ever used or seen. They also make some stuff you don't see anywhere else; like low cost swaging dies, bullet sizing dies, custom made dies up to 20 mm, etc.
    I have been there a couple times and got a tour once. They make dies for our military. They showed me a sizing die for the 25mm Bushmaster (it was the size of a quart thermos) and I think they have larger ones.

My father-in-law uses their dies exclusively for his CAS guns. They are a fraction of the price of other companies' dies but are just as good, and possibly better.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Harvey deprimer tool.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Banned

CH4D nice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Bair reloading equipment, got me into this years and years ago.

Might be the orginal blue machines.
    Hi,
    The Original Blue!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

In Remembrance
    I didn't see eagle listed, I don't know what all they made, but I have a set of dies. Somebody starting out, about the only presses I would steer them away are those with the shell holder incorporated in with the ram. Most of those with the different shell holders have universal adapters available for them. I would steer them more towards dies that are currently manufactured too as parts are readily available.

I started on Bonanza dies in the 80's and never had a problem. Now they can be found on auction sites cheap.
    "Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Another +1 for CH4D. I also own the Champion press. The ram is solid, just a tad over 1-1/8" and drilled through for primer disposal. Very ergonomic press. I don't know who carries more obsolete, wildcat or proprietary dies but I always check RCBS and CH4D. I think Dave's crew can make anything. Plus you get a real person to speak to when you call. I'd love to tour the plant in Ohio.

Their trimmer is very close if not almost the same trimmer as the Wilson so bodies interchange. They also make Dillon trimmer die bodies for just about anything.

Take care

r1kk1

CH4D is also able to do Titanium Nitride (TiN) Coating on expander balls and whole dies for those who have old dies that work great and dont want to buy new carbide dies.
    "Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Another vote for CH-4D. Great hand trimmer. Also, old Pacific durachrome dies and Redding beam scales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast