Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Storage of bees wax

Boolit Bub

Storage of bees wax

I was given about 75 pounds of bees wax. The plan is to use if for various things, including lube. At the present time I have it stored in large blocks in the garage. No heat in winter, and whatever temperature it is in the summer. Should I be storing this stuff more carefully? Should it be in sealed bags or something?

Boolit Master
    Way back when we had a great deal on beeswax from a gentleman in nevada I bought 40 or so pounds of the stuff. Rats and meeces love beeswax along with other critters. I bought a large rubbermaid tub to store mine inside the house. No problems with critters. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    ... Rats and meeces love beeswax along with other critters... Frank
    So that's why I can't find the beeswax I put in the garage!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got 5lbs I bought 5 years ago. Although it still smells nice, it's taken on a white oxidizing appearance on the surface and edges. Don't know what that means or if it's still any good. It's been out in my garage all the time in a closed 5 gal plastic bucket. I'll still use it when I need to.

I'd like to hear the responses to this one.

Boolit Master

I think a lot would depend on whether or not you plan to eat it or shoot it. If shooting it is your plan just put it in a critter proof container It will last for years. If you plan on eating it then a more sanitary way may be in order. Keep it dry and moderately cool and you will have very little bacteria issues. but it is a biological material and will decompose eventually.

The white stuff may actually be sugar (no don't taste it).

Trivial trivia: Honey is the only natural food that doesn't spoil. I would imagine the wax would last quite a while in some kind of pest proof container.

My .02

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Bw

I have stored mine in a large ice chest for years and when the top is opened you smell nothing but sweet honey. It also does not have any rodent tracks over it.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Found on a net search:

"Why do my candles and beeswax blocks have a white film on them?
    As time goes by, your beeswax products may develop what is called "bloom." Bloom is a creamy coating that is the result of soft oils in beeswax rising to its surface. The bloom will not affect your candles or other products in any way. It is easily removed by running a hair dryer over the surface, to warm it, or by rubbing it with a soft cloth."

I wrap mine in plastic food wrap and store in those clear plastic tubs with lids. The wrap is to keep it clean and the tubs are to keep critters out.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

bees wax also has cetyl alcohols in it which evaporate out, i have some old stuff that is so hard that it was used to shoot 22's into at some point.

Boolit Buddy
    Hip's Ax is correct it is called bloom and will not hurt anything. Store it anyplace that the rodents cannot get to it. I have 5 cakes of capping wax the size of a 5 gal. bucket and about 2 inches thick setting out side. Next summer I will run it through the solar wax melter and and have nice clean 3# cakes to make candles or lube with.

Boolit Master

I also had some beeswax that I thought had molded...but it was the "bloom" mentioned earlier. I remelted it and strained it through old an T-shirt. All is well, and the wax is just waiting to be converted to boolit loob.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

In Remembrance

I store mine in an ammo can in my reloading building that is not allowed to get warmer than 80*.

As far as heat and cold are concerned I've never had a problem except maybe some melting if it's left out in the sun. And even then, it's still fine, just a differnt shape.

Boolit Master
    Wax moths will find it and make a mess. There might even be eggs on it now. A rubbermaid tub and soak a couple cotton balls with fingernail polish remover and throw them in there to kill the bugs.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    I store mine in an ammo can in my reloading building that is not allowed to get warmer than 80*.
    I store mine the same way.... No complaints, works fine.

-Tom