Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cure my ignorance

Super Moderator

................Actually I only threw that post in there for the fun of it. It IS a viable means to get the EXACT shape you want with one caveat, and that is it AIN'T gonna have grease grooves And yes it's spendy to start, and then buy new dies. I made the swage die set for the 38-55. But then again you run into that money thing. Unless someone gives you the lathe and all the tooling, along with the desire and knowledge, it isn't cheap.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

BS

Back in the 60's you could get a swage die that would swage a GG bullet. I might still have a die in my "obsolete" box under the bench that Herters sold.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    BS

Back in the 60's you could get a swage die that would swage a GG bullet. I might still have a die in my "obsolete" box under the bench that Herters sold.
    .............I've seen one to make 158 SWC's, and the result seemed to be at least "Pistol Worthy" . I don't know how it'd work to produce match grade 400 - 500+ grain slugs though, but I wouldn't bet money on the outcome.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

The Herter dies were pretty crude looking but they worked and shot pretty good.
    The Hemp swage was a better die set but nothing larger then the .32 cal for rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    ive been doing a lot of reading and ive nearly convinced myself to go with a a old west adj mold in .441 dia but i have just a couple more questions .

one thing i havent found a whole lot of info on is total paper thickness vs groove depth .
    my bore is spot on at .450 and my groove dia is .4575 just up from the chamber and .457 at the muzzle

so my question is if i patch right to .450 or just under at .448-.449 am i going to have problems with the patch not being cut all the way threw due to my paper being thicker then my groove depth

and my next question , is what do i need to measure the wall thickness of my cases so i can get a correct dia m die for neck tension
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The paper will shred, no worries there.
    If you're going to use the M die , best to just get one at .450 or 451 so it opens the case just enough to take the patched bullet. Be sure and chamfer the case mouths, it'll save you having to repatch a bullet no and again.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Check the diameter of your compression rod! Mine is .450" and when I chamfer the mouth of the cases with a 22* tool...the compression plug will just barely fit into the mouth of the case to slightly enlarge if that's what's needed!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Buddy
    i think im ready to give this a whirl , come next week as long as the better half aproves my purchase i am goin to order me a mold from bernie ,

as an added plus i go next thursday to get this chunk of plaster off my leg and hopefully back to work as soon as possible
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

Well here's to hoping for a great doctors visit.
    You'll have a lot of fun with this paper patching. Frustrating sometimes but fun always.

Boolit Buddy
    i tried to order a mold today .... the wife had other ideas on that i guess we might have spent to much on the holidays , i guess it wont be to hard to wait another month or so it is winter after all ...

Well hang in there, hopefully your cast comes off and you're back to work, then the bank account looks better.

Boolit Buddy
    the cast is coming off thursday regardless .
    and back to work , i need that more for piece of mind right now the boredom is going to drive me crazy ... i kinda think the wife not lettin me buy the mold isnt about money , its about getting even for me working on her last nerve

If I had to ask my wife what I could do....I reckon I wouldn't have the first Sharps rifle!

Boolit Master
    That's right, Rick. By the way nice buck. I only got to kill one of south arkansas doe with a patched wheel weight this year, put the smackdown on her though. Tell us the story. We'd love to hear it. We all heard you used Pyrodex!!!
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Buddy
    rmulhern , i reckon theres a lot of truth in that , but theres also that old saying .. a fool and his money are soon parted . i just happen to be a fool when it comes to money

Boolit Buddy
    i got to thinkin about the ask my wife remark mr mulhern and i dont think you was tryin to be a jerk or anything i just thought i'd let you know how things work in my house .

my wife takes care of the money and does a very good job of it to i learned early on that i am not a good money manager and lucky for me i dont have to be because of her .
    we have priorities here with me having a rather modest income the essentiols come first .
    food housing heat and electricity in that order my lovely wife in 17 years has never failed to keep all four of those even in tough times ,..
    after those come clothing for the kids the things they need to get by in school and all of the things kids want , as you probably know keeping girls in cloths gets expensive .
    after all the kids and household obligations are met we might think about ourselves and what we want and need with our hobbies taking a back seat to everything else .

now getting to the ask my wife part ,. i do not ask her if i can buy anything !
    i do tell her what i want along with about how much its going to cost and we discuss it
    and she in turn does the same if theres something she wants .
    this has worked out very well for us over the years not once have we ever fought about money . because i respect her if she says hey we realy shouldnt buy this right now i do not question her judgment , i just wait untill she tells me to go ahead and buy it

i reckon if it wasnt for her i wouldnt have ever been able to afford my first shiloh
    Last edited by ss40_70; 01-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.

My post!

Quote Originally Posted by ss40_70 View Post
    i got to thinkin about the ask my wife remark mr mulhern and i dont think you was tryin to be a jerk or anything i just thought i'd let you know how things work in my house .

my wife takes care of the money and does a very good job of it to i learned early on that i am not a good money manager and lucky for me i dont have to be because of her .
    we have priorities here with me having a rather modest income the essentiols come first .
    food housing heat and electricity in that order my lovely wife in 17 years has never failed to keep all four of those even in tough times ,..
    after those come clothing for the kids the things they need to get by in school and all of the things kids want , as you probably know keeping girls in cloths gets expensive .
    after all the kids and household obligations are met we might think about ourselves and what we want and need with our hobbies taking a back seat to everything else .

now getting to the ask my wife part ,. i do not ask her if i can buy anything !
    i do tell her what i want along with about how much its going to cost and we discuss it
    and she in turn does the same if theres something she wants .
    this has worked out very well for us over the years not once have we ever fought about money . because i respect her if she says hey we realy shouldnt buy this right now i do not question her judgment , i just wait untill she tells me to go ahead and buy it

i reckon if it wasnt for her i wouldnt have ever been able to afford my first shiloh
    ss40_70

My post WAS NOT meant to deride you or anyone else...so if you took it that way...you have my apology! Basically it was stated because to many women....a closet full of shoes FOR THEM comes first! And I was married to one of those at one time but times got better!

Boolit Buddy
    no apologies needed mr mulhurn i didnt take offense

Nice buck!

Quote Originally Posted by giz189 View Post
    That's right, Rick. By the way nice buck. I only got to kill one of south arkansas doe with a patched wheel weight this year, put the smackdown on her though. Tell us the story. We'd love to hear it. We all heard you used Pyrodex!!!
    giz189

"heard you used Pyrodex"

Yes sir....I love that stuff....even got stock in the company!!

Boolit Buddy
    i hafta say fella's life is good !
    got my cast off i can walk on the leg with a cane fairly easiliy , doc says i'll be able to go back to work as soon as 7-10 days

and on top of that i sold/traded some stuff i didnt need for some cash and a new toy .
    now ive got a new to me encore to play with and money to buy my pp mold , yes sir life is good

thanks for all the help thus far gentleman here in about 6-8 weeks e shall see how it works

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast