Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cure my ignorance

Boolit Master
    Probably not.

Why not do it right from the get go? Avoid buying multiple moulds and making dozens of mistakes.

For instance, my wad stack: one 0.06 fiber wad. Pretty complicated. With the right bullet size and paper, this isn't hard. With the wrong stuff, it becomes a nightmare of problems to pursue - most of which never get solved.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Sure that works , if you want to wipe after every shot....
    And everybody knows a wiping routine can make or break a patched bullet load.
    Why not just keep it simple to start with, find out if he's even going to like having the extra steps of paper patching?
    It's not a terribly hard thing to do, but it can get frustrating.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    i worked the phone a little bit today and found an actual stationary store , it sounds like they have a good selection of paper with near all the papers ive seen mentioned threwout these threads , i'm going to try to hobble my butt around this weekend and have a looksee with my mic in hand for a bit of cheap entertainment .

one of my reasons on choosing to patch to bore dia is ease of loading .. i mostly just shoot for fun with a few clang and bangs thrown in for good measure , i dont shoot shoot to win just for entertainment , although i do plan on trying my hand at the midrange sillohette at mcdonald pa a couple times next year

and i'm not going to play the fouling game .. with greasers i blowtube .. its humid here and it works good ... with the pp i figure lifes going to be a lot easier if i just wipe between shots and save myself the frustrations .

thanks for the help so far fellows i am going to do some more reading , im sure to confuse myself even further so expect some more questions shortly
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

Well that's the neat thing about going with the slightly less than bore diameter and using greasecookies etc. You can run several rounds without wiping and still not loose much accuracy for the things you've listed.
    You do have to experiment with the wiping routine, it can throw a good load right out the window.

Boolit Master
    Wiping it quite simple. Beyond quite simple actually.

Good luck SS40. I'm sure you will manage to do pretty well.
    Last edited by wiljen; 12-12-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Actually the wiping routine I use for most match shooting is simply run a damp patch on a nylon brush after every shot.
    If you go to shoot Orville loomers match (invite only) there are no blowtubes or wiping sticks allowed. 10 shot strings, you foul out,.... you loose....
    Last edited by wiljen; 12-12-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Insults

Boolit Master
    Don, you are the on with problems wiping.

Lots of things can be done if wiping and blowing isn't allowed. Hardly difficult, but there, done that, but this shooter doesn't sound like he's been invited to Oville's now does he?

Don, go chill out with your new Shiloh. You need to cheer up...

No Brent you're wrong, just like you are on some many things. Wiping is a very easy thing to do, unnecessarry if you load your ammo right, but easy non the less.

Boolit Master
    I've shot far more paper patch bullets than you ever will. Done it in every sort of condition imaginable. I shot without wiping (25 shots/10 minutes in the old Ackley matches), hunting from New Mexico to Namibia, from 100 yds to 1000 yds, in competition, out of competition. More different rifles than I can count, more different barrels and moulds and swaging dies that I can count. Why do you persist that I don't know what I'm talking about?

Now go play with your .44-77 and come back and tell everyone how you shoot MOA all day with sub bore diameter paper patched bullets and no wiping or blowing. We all need a good laugh.
    Last edited by wiljen; 12-12-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Insults

Little bit of jealousy there boy? Was shooting paper patch from Shiloh and C Sharps and original rifle, probably before you ever found out about it.
    Yeh I got my 44-77, and yes if the short few rounds that it fired this morning are any indication it will shoot close to moa, and with the patched rounds loaded the way they were instructed to be via the original sharps and remingto catalogs, probably will shoot most of the day without cleaning or wiping. Especially with the KIK powder.
    What's with you and your animosity anyway?

Boolit Master
    Of course of course. Always that internet MOA, every time.

Every time I see you have the courage to shoot a match, I see your scores at the very bottom. Why is that? You won't shoot a lick better with your new .44 either.

You still haven't learned anything.

PS. I've read the original Sharps cataloged shot original Sharps and you still ain't gotta clue do ya?

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

personal insults? over a thread on paper patching? please folks, try to walk a tighter line.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Every time I see you have the courage to shoot a match, I see your scores at the very bottom. Why is that? You won't shoot a lick better with your new .44 either.

You still haven't learned anything.

PS. I've read the original Sharps cataloged shot original Sharps and you still ain't gotta clue do ya?
    Not every match Brent, and it has nothing to do with courage to shoot a match, which brings up the question why we've never seen you shoot Alliance ???
    Anyway yeh there's been some pretty miserable scores especially since after my heart attack . But at every match with the exception of one or two, there's been some pretty good scores on various targets. Mostly a function of the reaction to sunlight and heat by my blood pressure medicine. Usually finish up in the middle to upper middle somewhere. Besides I don't go to be the big winner, I spend alot of my match time load developing and prooving. I go to enjoy the shooting and the challenge of different targets away from home, and the opportunity to shoot with like minded folks from different parts of the country.
    We could go on and on but as history prooves, there's no let up with you.

There comes a time when everyone's score drops shooting matches. I know mine are and will continue as time goes by. If you cant see the target clear you cant do good hitting it and it's not the load always that tears down a match score.
    Like I always say; Every little dog will have it's day, some just sooner then others.

Boolit Buddy
    i just read threw montana charlies patching my way thread a good read and i believe i learned a good deal of useful information from it , though there was a lot to process

what i found most helpful was the description of his chamber and how he explained why he decided to go with a groove dia patched bullet , being a touch ignorant about such things he did a good job of making it easy for me understand , it also confirmed my thinking on using a bore dia boolit in my standerd shiloh chamber

something else i learned was what i had not thought a lot on .. proper patch size ..
    all the pictures i found realy helped one of the most telling to me was one don posted that showed the results of having a slight gap between the ends of tha patch .

the better half is driving me to the paper store in the am .. should be fun.
    thank you gentleman things are starting to make sense to me now
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

I'm getting along pretty well with the bore diameter bullets in my Shilo chamber, and the wifes Winchester likes them pretty good as well.
    Good luck with your endeavors. It's more time consuming than shooting greasers, but it is rewarding when things come together.
    While you're at the paper store, get a paper cutter, then you can draw your template out on the bed of the cutter, cut the patches to the width you want and just lay the strips (I staple 5 strips together) out over that drawn template and in a couple of minutes you'll have 250 patches cut and ready to go.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ss40_70 View Post
    i just read threw montana charlies patching my way thread a good read and i believe i learned a good deal of useful information from it ,
    Since you found it useful, thanks for saying so.
    FWIW, your standard Shiloh chamber is not very different from mine. They are both designed for grease grooved bullets.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Ham fine thread though ! Its the competition that brings the improvements.

I gotta state for the record I never worry about my count getting up. That's a misplaced worry for sure.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

BvT, what paper and bullet are you using for bore diameter bullets in your 45 caliber Shiloh?

Boolit Man
    Aside from all the remarks, there is a book on the subject if it's still around, called
    The Paper Jacket by Paul Matthews
    Wolfe Publishing Co.
    Prescott Arizona
    It covers EVERYTHING on the subject including how to do it.
    Might be out of print and you would need to check with used book dealers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast