Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: What type of accuracy should I expect with a Browning Low Wall in...

Boolit Buddy

What type of accuracy should I expect with a Browning Low Wall in...

What type of accuracy should I expect with a Browning Low Wall in 44 Magnum and/or 45 Colt? I'm looking at getting a Browning High or Low Wall for eastern deer hunting and informal target shooting and wondering how accurate and to what distance these cartridges would be deer-effective fired from the 24" Low Wall barrel. The other option I am considering is to get a High Wall in 38-55, but I sure like the look of the Browning Low Walls. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    Alan, these guns are inherently very accurate but no one can predict how yours will shoot. It depends on the load, bullet, etc being used and each gun is unique to itself. I wouldn't be surprised if you got one to shoot between 1-2moa with the right load development. Most High Walls in other calibers will shoot 1moa or a little better with good load development. Low Walls are about the same thing. They are very nice guns!

I do not own a Browning, but have the same calibers in lever actions and a 44 mag bolt gun; I would be a little more confident with my 38-55's a little further out as compared to my 44 mags but not too much further. With my 44 bolt action I can get sub 3" groups at 100 yds no problem with ave being in the 2.5" range, I would guess the Browning would be similar. The 38-55's usually 6" or less at 175 yds, have had some 1-1/2" groups at that range.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    What type of accuracy should I expect with a Browning Low Wall in 44 Magnum and/or 45 Colt? I'm looking at getting a Browning High or Low Wall for eastern deer hunting and informal target shooting and wondering how accurate and to what distance these cartridges would be deer-effective fired from the 24" Low Wall barrel. The other option I am considering is to get a High Wall in 38-55, but I sure like the look of the Browning Low Walls. Thank you.
    Having shot the Browning high walls in 38-55 and 45-70 along with a low wall in 45 Colt, I will say they will do better than you can. You are the limiting factor, not the rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have the Low Wall in 45 Colt. I had some problems getting it to shoot well with typical 45 Colt (250 gr SWC) type loads. Abandoned that quickly as I really was interested in a "little" 45-70 for smokless. I found that the chamber was extremely generous in dia.,it will easily take a 45 Colt case with a .458 Gould bullet seated. So , thats what I now shoot in it . I have taken 2 deer with it , and have decided to both reduce velocity to about 1350 and soften the alloy. Bullet was a litle too destructive , and I do not fully trust the peneration. i want 2 holes where I hunt. There are loads listed for both 296 and Lil gun for that weight bullet as well as RL7 that I have yet to try. The 296 works for me ,but I intend to try RL7 next week. Recoil is , well, "noticeable" ,but not too bad. The but plate is a cresent steel afair , very pretty but also pretty hard and not real forgiving about placement in shoulder. I do not shoot much from a bench ,but suspect it could hurt if not careful. After all it weighs less than 7 pounds . I do not remember exact accuracy measurments ,as it has been several years since load development ,but better than I can hold. The peep sight is a real asset , I removed the rear open sight as it intruded in the sight picture with the peep. Over all very happy with it. Also have a hi wall in 30-06 , very accurate but very heavy to hunt with.

Boolit Buddy
    mmmmm, Low Wall.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Browning Low Wall.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	82322I agree with 45 2.1...my 45 Colt low wall shoots under 2 inches at 100 yards all day long...with Saeco 225 Wadcutters, 185 swc, 230, and 250 RNFB...really, this thing shoots every thing I stuff into it...black powder, unique, bulls eye,2400....cannot say enough...I put on the MVA Schuetzen and a lyman globe...almost not fun any more...lol..don't know about jacketed though...
    Last edited by Taco Belly; 09-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    The only low walls I have are in .22LR and .22 Hornet. They both shoot great.The Hornet is very load sensitive. It only likes Little Gun powder,but with that it will keep the shots in a dime or less at 100 yds.
    I would expect a .44mag to shoot really well, just expect to put some time in load development.
    Last edited by Clay M; 09-20-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy

They are really sounding great. Thanks for the info.

How good is the shooter? That is the real question. A Browning low wall in good condition with good ammo can shoot a one minute group. But, that does not mean the shooter can.

Sadly, the best we can expect from our rifles is limited to what we can best expect from ourselves.
    Direct descendent of stone age Eurasians.

Boolit Buddy

I acquired a Browning Low-Wall in 45Colt a couple of years ago with the specific intent of re-barreling it to a cartridge that would be of more interest/use to me- I have quite a few single shots, several in pistol cartridges. Considering something like a 32-40, but I just scored two NEW 32-40 rifles this year (Win 1885 Hiwall and CPA/Stevens), so don't need to go that route anymore. Current thoughts head me toward 30wcf or perhaps 32wcf- both useful, fun rounds for target and hunting with cast boolits. That MVA Schuetzen sight and a 26-28" barrel with globe sight makes a mighty accurate, easy to carry light hunter.
    I've got the 38-55 in the Win1885 Hiwall, and the accuracy is fantastic. Also do the same round in the Model 94 when a repeater is needed.
    I wish the Low-wall was still a production item- It is a classy little rifle that can be made to do just about anything you want-
    I only wish I had bought a bunch of them!
    358wcf

Boolit Master
    I have a couple in 357mag and one in 260 Remington.

Boolit Master
    I just remembered I have one in 223 as well. I also have it in 22lr.

Boolit Master

Excess650 has the answer, but then since they are not available, it is just a wish list item.

357 Mag or Max would be absolutely perfect in that gun.

25-20, 32-20 would be fun for plinkin too!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    My Browning 38-55 highwall consistently shoots moa at 100 yards with cast boolits, and Baldwin rear and front globe sights. It will do this off a rest or sticks. Unfortunately, unsupported I cannot hold that close. I guess you could say the rifle will outshoot me, which is as it should be. My Browning lowwall is a 22rf, it also is an accurate shooter.