RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman rifles

Boolit Man

Lyman rifles

For the last 25 years I have only owned T/C caplock rifles. Being a dad with 3 kids and a budget to follow I would like to get my son a caplock rifle.

If I were to purchase him a Lyman great plains rifle, would I be disappointed since I have only owned T/C blackpowder rifles?

Banned

No you would not. The new T/C rifles are not the same of past. They seem to be made cheaper. Everyone that I have talked to that has a Lyman has been happy with it. T/C has been sold an QC has taken a hit. So has customer service. Try to locate one an handle it for yourself.

Boolit Master
    i started out with a gpr in .50 i picked up at a yard sale. used it 2 years in matches then got a hoyt .40 cal barrel for it . not that the .50 did not shoot it was after 60 shots the .40 was eaiser on the shoulder. plus it used less powder and lead.

Boolit Master
    I've got both, and am happy with both. My GPR originally had the fast-twist Hunter barrel, and it was rather prone to misfires at first. I always made sure that the flash channel was clear and switched to a musket cap, which helped. After a few hundred rounds the problem disappeared. I rebarreled it with the slow-twist round ball barrel, and never had a problem. Both barrels are quite accurate with their preferred load.

The Lyman GPR is more authentic to the original plains-style or Hawken-style rifles, if that matters to you. T/C builds a New England-style rifle.

I don't know about in your neck of the woods, but in Maryland used sidelock ML rifles are dirt cheap. You might be able to find a deal on a gently used one if you shop around. Everybody wants stainless-synthetic inlines these days.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an older TC percussion and a new Lyman deerstalker.
    The quality of the Lyman looks better than the TC currently being made.
    Also the Lyman costs less money.

Boolit Grand Master

Traditions are making better guns now adays. They used to import their parts but I beleive they make their own or they are made here now.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Lyman 54 cal Tradesman rifle since about 1985. It's like the current (I think current) Lyman Trade rifle except that it has a patch box in the stock. It's been a great rifle and will shoot both Maxi ball and round ball well. I think it has a 1-48 twist. It's a good rifle.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first Lyman last year after shooting black powder for
    40 years.The Lyman was a GPR kit.I was truly suprised at the workman
    ship of the rifle.

They have come a long way from what you got in the 70's.Truly fine
    rifles.

Fly

Boolit Master
    7-30: I think you'll find that while the GPR is heavier than the T/C Hawken and Renegade, it feels better and hangs better thanks to have a stock that's actually made for grown-ups. Good rifles with a lot of historic style points.

Boolit Bub
    I purschased a Great Plain Rifle several years ago. One year I accidently dropped it from my tree stand and the hand grip behind the trigger, rceived a small crack. I called Lyman and told them the story and they sent me a new stock at zero cost, and everone that I spoke with on the telephone was American.
    Smoke will make your eyes burn, but only people, can make you cry !

Boolit Master

I bought a slow twist GPR for my stepson for NRA YHEC competition. His is a l/h caplock in .50. It shoots very well, is put together solidly, and I like it better than my T/Cs.

Now I need a r/h .54 caplock! I knew I should have bought one when Natchezss.com had them on closeout for $370 last year!

7-30Waters, Several months ago I was bench testing my 1:66" twist Lyman GPR @ 50 yds. in order to regulate the point of impact (had to file the front sight down a bit). I knew from past experience that the gun was accurate with both .490"- and .495" RB's (different patch thickness used for ea. diameter), but just how accurate was yet to be seen. Once I got the elevation where I wanted it, I proceeded to put 5 .490" RB's into less than 1" @ 50 yds. from a rest, with the primitive rear sight installed. Btw, the load was as follows:

60gr. Diamondback FFg + .490" (.492") RB's (RCBS mold, weighed, pure Pb) + .018" pillow tick patches (Jo-Ann's Fabric) lubed with Winchester Sutler's "Moose Milk." Percussion cap was CCI.

The only "gunsmithing" I've done was to polish the inner surfaces of the lock and sear where it bears on the trigger; polish the set trigger levers where they bear on the sear; adjust the wedges for a better fit; and remove a tiny bit of wood from the tang so the hooked breech lined up better with the bbl. Btw, all this was optional, and took less than 1 hr. to do: The rifle was virtually a tack driver even before I monkeyed with it, but now the triggers are a delight and is my 1st choice when competing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    No you would not. The new T/C rifles are not the same of past. They seem to be made cheaper. Everyone that I have talked to that has a Lyman has been happy with it. T/C has been sold an QC has taken a hit. So has customer service. Try to locate one an handle it for yourself.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this reply!

Banned

I have built many Lyman kits for friends and have shot many already built by the factory. We all like the slow round ball twists.
    Not a single one has failed to shoot amazing groups, most will make one ragged hole at 50 yards.
    TC has gone downhill for years and mostly because of barrel quality and broached shallow rifling.

Love mine. Built from a kit. Used plum brown and finished the stock slightly dull. Folks who don't know better think it's an antique.

Shot a deer last year through the neck at 80 yards (yes, that's where I was aiming )

Boolit Master
    I have had several GPR and they are very good rifles for the money. I also own TCs and they are also good rifles. If you want a hawken for less money get one from Cabella's the same company that builds the GPR for Lyman builds hawkens for Cabella's and they are good rifles as well and a bit lighter that the GPR as the barrel is shorter like the TC hawken.

Boolit Master

Investarms makes the GPR and Cabelas rifles, as well as some others.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Iron Sights View Post
    Love mine. Built from a kit. Used plum brown and finished the stock slightly dull. Folks who don't know better think it's an antique.

Shot a deer last year through the neck at 80 yards (yes, that's where I was aiming )
    Would you show us a picture? I am curious to see the plum brown finish.

Gpr good!!!!!

A mate of mine has a GPR Hunter .50cal rifle with the 1/32Twist barrel. I have held the rifle, but not yet shot it. I was supprised at the finish of these rifles for the money you pay, good value i think! He shoots Patched balls in it with very good accuracy. I would prefer to shoot conical bullets in it, with the peep sights fitted myself. Either way i know if i shoot it, i will have to have one!!
    BB03
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

The only 'beef' I have with GPR's is that stupid sub cal chamber they have. PITA to clean.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast