Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: flintlock buck and turkey

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way

flintlock buck and turkey

I had posted these pictures over on ALR, but thought I would share them here as well. I was using a .58cal flintlock with PRBs that I cast. It was the first week of MLer deer season in Va and turkey was still in. I took the buck on Wednesday morning after having passing up several others while carrying my Omega. The turkey was taken Thursday afternoon and had a 10-1/2" beard. Both were flintlock firsts for me.
    Last edited by excess650; 12-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.

That is so cool! Congratulations!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    And THAT, is how it is done! Good hunt!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Beautiful. What load did you use for the Turkey?

Boolit Buddy
    Good job excess! Is that a grey bear bag in the pic? I know that ol' boy and have several of his bags.

T-o-m

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Yes it IS a Grey Bear bag that I bought some 10 or more years ago at Fort Chambers. I don't know him, but think this particular bag is the nicest that I've seen. The Leatherman makes some nice stuff too.

The turkey was taken with the same load as the deer. I had reloaded prior to looking for the deer in the laurel, so it needed to be unloaded anyway. 100gr KIK ffg under a .565" PRB. I purposely held high on the turkey and took part of a wing and the spine while shooting downhill.

Congrats! A double kill, that doesn't happen often.

Cast Hunter

Excellent! Well done sir.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Nice job XS650.

Looks like you been at it a bit more too:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...69#post1498769

I looked in this section for a write-up on this buck, but didn't see it, so I thought I'd post a link since I KNOW anyone that checks this link would love to see pics of that buck - that has got to be the most unusual looking rack I've ever seen (except for the non-typicals).
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    Nice job XS650.

Looks like you been at it a bit more too:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...69#post1498769

I looked in this section for a write-up on this buck, but didn't see it, so I thought I'd post a link since I KNOW anyone that checks this link would love to see pics of that buck - that has got to be the most unusual looking rack I've ever seen (except for the non-typicals).
    Thanks! I guess it was my turn to be in the right place at the right time. Because of the events of last I season I made a last minute decision to NOT carry the CB rifle. It WOULD have been a huge plus to have taken it with one of my flintlocks, or at least a CB, but it didn't happen this time. I hope that Ben isn't too upset that I took his thread off on a tangent.