Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Graphite Lube?

Graphite Lube?

Has anyone tried using graphite powder (used to lubricate door/car/pad locks) in their home-brew bullet lube?

Seems like a reasonable option, but would it be abrasive?

Was thinking about spiking pure bees wax with graphite. Quick, easy, no unpleasent odors for Mama.

Would prob. have to stir continually until cooled to keep graphite from separating.

Boolit Master
    as far as i know no it wouldn't be a abbrassive since gun powder uses it as a coating alot of times for pistol type powders to keep clumping from happening or reaction with plastics? my guess.

it seems that my sediments with it is i need that powder to burn and coat my bore so i have a nice surface for my bullets to shoot out of so i bet it would be good to mix in with the lube.

its like your shooting a bullet though a already seasoned bore teehee.

Boolit Grand Master
    Been there and tried that. Great lube additive, EXTREMELY messy.

Boolit Master

I never used it but many years ago it was available from Lyman. I can't find a current commercial lube that uses it.

There must be a reason they quit making it. I expect Jim has the answer.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Jim - Your right about the MESSY part! I just have a small tube laying here that I have never used. And I have a pound of bees wax. I think the graphite tube is 4 oz.

16 oz bees wax : 4 oz graphite sound good or not?

Sorrry, just checked graphite tube. Only has .21oz!! Still plenty I think as "a-litle-dab-l-do-ya" when using graphite.
    Last edited by blackhawk4545; 12-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    sounds kind of heavy. you might get away with 16 ounces with 2 oz of graphite but i bet 4 would prob be ok

Boolit Master

i have a jug of powder graphite that I tumble my slugs in before I swage them into lead bullets. Works great. and by the way all store bought shot and shotgun slugs are tumble lubed in graphite. I have not mixed it in my lube though. but as i said i tumble my cores in it before I swage them.

In Remembrance

I was using, and cussing, Lyman graphite black lube many years back - only just got that nasty stuff off my fingers last week from stopping using it about 30+ years ago!Robert

Banned

i doubt graphite alone would be a good lube i have however added it to a home made lithi-beeswax lube.
    don't melt the lube all the way to liquid just get it mushy and stir in the graphite it'll stay suspended better.
    airc it's called coloidal graphite and is super fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Graphite has been added to lube as far back as the early 30s' that I know of, and probably before that.
    Was mixed with "water pump grease" at one time for a lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    I made some of THIS yesterday. I melted the wax and then blended the Moly-Graph in with a whisk. I mixed it 50/50 by weight. It should be good for hot conditions because I had to get it rather hot to dip boolits in it. It's rather tacky and sticks to the boolits well. AND it did not black my fingers and chase me out of the room!

HERE is the product specs & apps.

One of my first lubes i tried consisted of JPW and powdered graphite cut with mineral spirits. It was messy and did not preform very well. Added a little LLA which just made a mess. Flux was the result of most of those first batches as I found few of those bullets worth firing.

Boolit Buddy

Old GI Graphite Grease

I have a can of old GI graphite Grease (not sure of the FED stock number off hand ) I have used it on my 30-30 , and 38 spcl. loadings when I first started casting. I had no leading problems with it. Accuracy was OK, but back then it was all trial and error on my part. I was trying just about anything I had in the shop for lube, all types of automotive greases, both Dynosaur and Synthetic..... All seemed to work , I can't recall any out right failures...PJ
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR