RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Some lube guidance requested

Boolit Buddy

Some lube guidance requested

I have been casting boolits for handguns for several years and using expensive commercial lubes. I have a few rifle molds and most recently got one for my 400 Whelen and want to really explore the cast boolit side of my rifles. I am wanting to make my own lube and after reviewing many of the recipes am still somewhat confused. I want to keep it a simple mixture, one I can use for some of my rifles, 30-40, 35 Whelen, 400 Whelen, 45-70. One that I can either pan lube or use in my old Lyman 45 (I do have a heater) and will stay put reasonably well for storage. It would be great if I could use it for handgun boolits as well but if needed I could make two different lubes. Am I asking to much? What are your recommendations? Thanks.

Mart
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

I use one lube for handguns and rifles, and don't have any issues with it. I use a beeswax, white lithium grease and a little parrafin. I think my last batch used a grease gun tube of white lithium, 1.25lbs beeswax, and a 1/4 lb of parafin, still trying to decide what I think of it though as I usually only use a 1lb of beeswax.

I like to put my waxs in a plastic bag or two and smack them with a hammer on the garage floor, makes it easier to melt and easier to measure out if you measure it. I like to start melting the cheapest wax first, then add in the more expensive wax and finally the grease so it sees the least heat.

Boolit Master

I have available a lube ingredient kit right now for $18.95 shipped (makes 2 lbs of lube). If you like it I sell all the ingredients bulk to make it yourself or the kit has a the instructions and all is measured to make 2 lbs.
    It's a medium hardness bullet lube for rifles or hand guns. A little heat may be needed.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131679

There are others also that sell lube on the VENDOR SECTION...You will find the best lubes offered anywhere in the world right here on this forum. There are a bunch of recipes for all kinds of witches brews that actually work. Check out the "stickies" top of the "lube section"

Boolit Master

I've been using Bens Red with good results. Easy to make, not real expensive and it makes alot.
    I bought the bees wax off randyrat, the JPW from Menards and Lucas red &Tacky and STP from autozone.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a quite a bit of beeswax. Been carting it around for years knowing I would find a use for someday. I have been following the posts on Ben's Red and was thinking it would be my first attempt on making lube.

Mart
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Master

My first batch I'd bought some carnuba and beeswax off of randyrat. I didn't have no JPW at the time, so I used carnuba flakes in it's place.

One thing I did was melted the carnuba wax first, then I added the beeswax, melted it, and then added the Lucas R&T and STP.
    I spent close to 45 minutes letting it melt and getting the ingredients mixed. I used a hotplate set on med/low.

One thing I did on my second batch, besides using JPW, I used a whisk to mix ingredients. That way the lucas broke up better. The first time I used an old wooden spoon

Both batches I strained thru an old t-shirt.

So far i've used it in my 45 acp and 500. No leading in either. My 45 had a 1/2" of lead in it, but I think that was due to not letting my casts cure, longer than just a couple of days.

Boolit Grand Master

Just my 2 cents worth, I put up the money, "very little" and time "30 minutes stirring" to make a batch of Felix lube. That is amazing stuff. Worked well for my rifles and pistols. just amazing results. I asked pretty much the same question you did here, and got so many people telling me to give it a try that I had to see what all the hype is about. I love the stuff and I see any reason to do different cause it aint broke. The most expensive part was the beeswax and the lanolin. you got the bees wax already and randyrat sells the lanolin at a real fair price. I think you can get everything else at walmart.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

You are not asking too much and I have used one homemade lube for all the purposes you mentioned in your post for 50 years.

I use a mix of beeswax and Vaseline. I use enough Vaseline to soften the wax so it can be used in a lube size machine. The proportions are not exact nor do they need to be. About 65 - 35 wax to Vaseline does the trick for me. If it is too hard, add a little more V. If is to soft a little less V or more wax. It also works well as a pan lube if that if what floats your boat.

This is not a miracle lube, and I am certain there are others, that do just as good, but it has served me well for a very long time. If there were problems with it, I would have found out a very long time ago.

I hold the opinion there are only two kinds of lubes. Those that work and those that don't. There are not good, better and best. There is just lube that works.

Felix lube is good stuff also and I use it when going above 2,000 fps. But, it is just too darn hard to make, to use for lesser stuff which is 99% of my reloading. So, I hoard my supply of Felix Lube for special needs. Some years back, some of the guys did a "big melt" of Felix and we divided it up here. I still have enough of that for my needs for a long time to come.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.