Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Accuracy with a CVA Scout in 44 magnum

Boolit Bub

Accuracy with a CVA Scout in 44 magnum

Good morning. Does anyone have any experience with a CVA Scout in 44mag using cast bullets? I would rather have a 1894 Marlin but living on a military disability a scout is about half the price. I hunt down home in Southwest Indiana and allows certain calibers in long guns. I have several molds from 210gr to 325 gr.

Thank you in advance. Dale
    Last edited by Loony44; 12-04-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I called CVA and they said the twist was 1-20. I'm not knowledgeable on what twist works best with cast bullets or j-bullets in which I don’t or try to stay away from shooting. I know the CVA Scout is a new line and can’t find little to no information. So with the 1-20 twist do you think it will shot cast ok.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've never seen one of the things, so have no idea!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Haven't got any idea about a 44 mag but a Buffalo classic with a 1-20 twist and a 300gr boolit is very accurate. H&R had some 44 mags that had a 1-30 twist that wouldn't shoot ether cast or Jacketed I would bet that the 300 + would shoot. I am debating getting a Scout in 44 Mag after Christmas or maybe a Stricker in 444 or 45/70 like I need another big bore. (its a sickness and I am one sick puppy)
    Frank G.

Boolit Bub
    I'm hoping the Scout 44 with a 1-20 twist will shot cast. When I was down home this deer season while buying tags at the little gun shop, asked if he had a H&R 44. The owner said you don't want a H&R 44, take a look at the scout 44. I did and really liked the feel and he said they shot Hornady FTX's real accurate. I'm going to get one the first of the year. (like I need another gun, but I don't have a 44 RIFLE)

scout 44 mag

I have a scout 44 and love it fun to shoot and solid nice trigger and a tack driver once i got the right load. Mine has never had a j bullet through it only cast. It likes the lee 310 and lyman HP 265 gr.

I shot 2 deer with my 44 scout this year and am going to try to shoot another one if i can get time off work before the end of the season.

The scope mount it comes with is sweet.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the positive report, think I will get the scout 44 mag. then the 45/70and if real thrifty the next year work in the 444.
    Last edited by Freightman; 12-10-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Frank G.

Boolit Mold
    I finally got my 300 grain slugs from the Missouri bullet company. My CVA Hunter has a pretty deep throat on it so I loaded them up with 18.5 grains of Win 296 and Winchester large Pistol primers. At an over all length of 1.665" and here was my 5 shot group at 25 yards

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170518_191014_438.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	195846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170518_191014_438.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	195846I finally got my 300 grain slugs from the Missouri bullet company. My CVA Hunter has a pretty deep throat on it so I loaded them up with 18.5 grains of Win 296 and Winchester large Pistol primers. At an over all length of 1.665" and here was my 5 shot group at 25 yards