RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking to try paper patching

Boolit Buddy

Looking to try paper patching

I have never tried paper patching a bullet before. I have a couple of old books that explaine it but what I can see some of the material they used are not made any longer. Is pp used just for rifle or can it be done with handgun as well? What are the basics one would need to just get started I would be trying this out on a 30 caliber rifle first.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Grand Master

If I were you, assuming you have molds etc. I would get some green bar printer paper, make a template out of some vinyl blind (you know the vertical hanging type), to make templates out of, go ahead and buy a cigarette roller (you might take to it, you might not, but you have to at least try it), use the search function and read as many threads as you can on this place.
    Pay specialy close attention to what 303 guy, docone31, and P-dawg shooter (I'm sure I'm leaving some fellers out) These guys have forgotten more about PP boolits than I will ever know.
    Give it a try, if your the tinkering/DIYS type you may well find it to be addicting.

Here's the very first thread I started on cast boolits:
    http//www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107704
    Here's another one, be sure to read it all the way through:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=127280
    There are many many more, and everything you need to know can be found right here.
    Welcome to the forum! This is the best gun site on the web!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Welcome to our world of fun, cdet69.

Thanks for the confidence, Goodsteel. Actually I'm still playing around - I don't get enough range-time but I do have a test tube in my shed so at least I can experiment with internal ballistics. I have tested some of the advised no-no's just to see how and why they don't work.

I'm with Goodsteel - green bar printer paper.

My normal patching is done dry with finger twisting to tighten. Too slow for target volumes. I'm still to develop a wet wrapping patch and procedure for volume patching. I'll get there. My current paper is printer paper which is weak and compressible but it holds onto my smooth sided boolits.

Should you choose to wrap on a pad, I've found that grey patching foam they use in electronic packaging to be quite handy if you've got some. It releases the wet patch quite well.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Careful, when you start getting better performance from your PP bullets than you can from jacketed you will be hooked. Paper will work in handguns, but there is really no advantage to it. Lubed "naked" bullets will do just as well at handgun velocities.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone put out a book on paper patching bullets? If so who might sell it.

Boolit Bub
    Google is your friend.

Boolit Master

Paul Mathews,
    The Paper Jacket.
    A good book.

Banned

+1 Docone31. That book has more info on patching for modern, high-powered rifles than any other I've found to date. Good book for covering the basics. For the Master's and Ph, D stuff there is no better source than right here, or if there is, I haven't found it yet.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered the book yesterday. Thanks