Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Garand Help!

Boolit Master

Need Garand Help!

I went with a friend to a local gun store today and came home with a new (to me) M1 Garand. I have wanted one for quite a while but never saw one that hit my fancy until today. I have zero experience with the M1. Never fired one until this afternoon. I came home pretty pumped with my new purchase. I shot it at 60 yards using some of my handloaded ammo for my Remington 700 '06. The load functioned perfectly seems to me. The load was 50 gr H380/150 gr BT FMJ bullet/expected velocity of 2500'/s. No jams, 2" group, empties landing approx 4' toward front of shooting position. The clip ejected sort of straight up and landed in my lap. I am on cloud 400 with all this. Now to why I am writing because I have had my bubble broken by some reading I ran into this evening. Not knowing anything about it I googled Federal Ord Inc of El Monte Ca only to read some posts from other forums stating that this particular action is JUNK. However I was led to believe this was a good unit built in 1954 with US military parts and that the barrel, and trigger group was Springfield Armory. In fact a SA-F8535448 4 54 A211B can be seen on the barrel when the bolt is open. The stock is very nice and appears to be old and is a very dark walnut. I hate to think I didn't make a wise move here, but I trust the folks on this forum to tell the straight skinney on this. If it is not such a wise move I may be able to undo it if I move quickly. I paid $700 for the rifle. What do you think?
    Last edited by smoked turkey; 05-24-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Boolit Master

Yeah, the aftermarket cast receivers have a very bad reputation. If you can take it back and get your money back. If not and this one works enjoy it.

You can get a real Garand from the CMP for 4 or 5 hundred. The higher the price the better the barrel is.

The old adadge is no powders slower than 4064 and no bullets heavier than 175 grains in the M1. IMR 4895 and a 150 grain ball bullet or a 168 grain match bullet is the most popular M1 fodder. Don't shoot commercial ammo.

Not sure about your powder, read here. http://njhighpower.com/cart_tech.htm

To learn about Garands go here, they have had a few server change overs recently so the number of posts isn't want it use to be yet but this is THE M1 Garand web forum.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/

Maybe I'm spoiled by buying my M1's from the CMP but that is a lot of money for a Garand let alone one with an aftermarket receiver.

Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    If you are a US Citizen, then the CMP would be a better option. For $700 you could have a Service Grade Springfield or HRA M1 + 192 rounds of surplus ammo already loaded in clips. Boxer primed and reloadable too.

I have two Garands from the CMP, as well as a bunch of ammo, and have been very happy with my guns. If you can return the one you bought, I probably would. If not, it shoots well, and you were happy with it until someone told you otherwise, so ignore us and have fun.

Get a Hornady reloading manual. They have a Garand specific section. The issue is NOT the action being strong enough, it is the gas port pressure. Too much gas port pressure and you may damage your Op-Rod.

The general rules above are good guidelines for jacketed bullets. For cast bullets, different rules apply. Lead bullets generate different pressure curves than jacketed bullets due to different resistance to moving down the bore.

BobS load is popular for the Garand. I use this recipe with a Lee 200 grain bullet and have been very happy, except for the cost of the gas check. I am going to experiment with a plain base 200 grain from a Lee mold and see if I can maintain good results. Also going to load up some rounds with Unique, and try my Garand as a straight pull bold action.

It is a bit subjective, but H380 is a bit slower in burn rate than I'd normally use for a Garand.

Boolit Master

Wow! Haven't been to the CMP site in a while. Apparently a Garand is 5 or 6 hundred now!

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    While a 'Grand' rifle, it is spelled 'Garand' after the inventor. Not being pedantic just to be pedantic, but if you are searching for info, you'll find more if you spell it right.

I might pay $300 for a cast receiver after market gun but at $700 you were fleeced. If you can, take it back. If not, i'd see if I could find a proper USGI reciever and swap out parts, or just sell it for whatever you can.

Or, you could shoot some mild cast loads through it, you shouldn't get in any trouble there.

Find a SA receiver, and if your barrel is 50% worn, get a new one.
    Use the rest of your stuff. I see them all over the place for under $200.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Just wanted to get back and say I really appreciate the good input on my Garand (thanks jonk!). I spoke to the guy at the gun store about it. He is willing to take it back in the form of reselling it for me. I really would rather have a Springfield Armory receiver when its all said and done. I did check on CMP site and did notice what they offer. I also noticed that there is about a 6 month waiting period. I will probably look into that. My particular rifle seems to shoot pretty good and it is in good condition. The rifling looks deep and is in excellent condition. The bolt assemble and the trigger group along with the barrel is stamped with SA and lots of long numbers. So I am confident that the rifle is SA with exception of the Fed Ordinance receiver. I may look into what it would cost to purchase a SA receiver and transfer all my parts to it. What little I have shot it was very awesome. It has a terrific feel and is a pleasure to shoot. I have a lot of learning to do. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    Don't let the 6-month advertised wait put you off. Most guys on the CMP forum are reporting 30 days from order receipt to delivery right now. The CMP advertises worst case timelines to keep support calls to a minimum.

Apparently we Garand lovers are anxious to see our new toys.

Boolit Master

"I spoke to the guy at the gun store about it. He is willing to take it back in the form of reselling it for me."

Sounds like the SOB better give you your money up front because he's trying to fleece you again. If you don't get your money back when you return the rifle, He'll put a consignment sign on the rifle and you won't see your money until it get's sold to someone who isn't familiar with the National Ordnance Reciever issues.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Federal Ordnance actions have more of a bad rep between the purist than the average shooter. In fact the Springfield Armory investment cast actions have a bad rep among the purists when compared to the original Garand forged actions. I don't have a Fed Ord Garand Action but I have a Fed Ord action on one of my M1As. That rifle gets the bulk of the the abuse. It has as chrome lined barrel and it is my go-to rifle when I want to play and heat up a barrel. I have never had any problems with the rifle. It takes all the abuse I and my friends can feed. Scoped, I will hold 1.5" 100yd groups where the M1A Loaded rifles will hold 0.75" to 1".

I won't comment on price because you paid what you felt it was worth at the time. However, try to find an original Garand in the condition of the Fed Ord on the gunrack and see what they are asking for it. Your Fed Ord may look like a great deal in that situation. CMP is also a great deal once you qualify. But if you don't, you pay market price. If you decide not to get rid of it, it will probable serve you very well. Sounds like it is functioning well. Almost every Garand I have purchased from the CMP has required a little tuning to get them running well. Don't feel bad about your purchase.

But do pay attention to your ammo. Using the wrong ammo will beat it to death and that will not be the rifles fault. You can bend the operating rod or worse, crack the back of the receiver or crack the bolt.

Boolit Master

Pirate69, I appreciate your comments regarding the Federal Ordnance rifles you have. I suspect that like anything else, some are better than others and the one I have does seem to function just like it is supposed to. I really made my 12 year old grandson's day today when I told him about it and he cranked off five of the eight rounds in the clip. To say he loved every minute of it is an understatement. I have tried to find handloads in my stash that are compatible with it. I will probably look onto the CMP program because I cannot find one around here for the prices some are reporting. In fact they had a 1944 SA with bayonnet next to the Fed Ord and asking price was $1200. That is why I went for the Fed Ord. I admit though that all the negative feedback I have received has affected the way I feel about the rifle. I do value the opinion of folks here on the forum. I realize some are not speaking about what they know, but what they have heard others say. All in all though its not a SA and that is probably what I will have to get in order to be happy. Thanks again.

Boolit Bub

Post Grand Rifle

I've had some experiance with Garands, including CMP's and a very rough Blue Sky (Korean Reimport), and have also fiddled with many bargain guns over the years, so my opinion is not completly unfounded in this area. You say it functioned fine and shot 2 inches without any reloading work up... I say put together some proper reloads for it, and enjoy it. Whats the worst you think you got took for? Surely no more than $100 bucks at the most, and if someone knows where I can get a $600 Garand, Fed Ord or not please let me know, I'll take two. Yes you can get a fair deal through the CMP, and I recommend you look into doing that, it would give you an extra one for that grandson someday. Shoot and enjoy this one for a while, you already have one memory with it is sounds like, and thats at least worth the difference you may have thought you paid.

Boolit Master

hey lets be honest here Winchester receivers is junk too but they are getting the highest prices.
    Smoke turkey I would keep the rifle the receiver is fine IF you watch your loads
    You said 4ft rt front that is a good load If it were 10ft right way too hot
    M2 ball is about 6ft 2 oclock. There is many ways to load for them but remember it is a gas operated so the light cast loads will get the gas port dirty fast
    2in is good with a rifle you have never shot its not a one hole gun
    stick a jacket150 gr in muzzle there should be about 3/16in between where it stops and the brass

Boolit Master
    Smoked Turkey,
    A work of warning!!!! The Fed Ord that you do not feel should not be in your gun cabinet will grow on you. You will slowly find it does everything you want it to do and you can't make it quit. You will find that you pick it up rather than one of your "better" rifles because you enjoy it. If it stays around long, it will never leave.

Boolit Master

Boy! I have received some very good input on my original inquiry. You all are a wealth of information. I appreciate each and every post on this. Folks here are awesome. I am definitely hooked. The solid feel, the recoil level is just right, and even the way it goes BOOM is unique to anything else I shoot. My 12 year old grandson is a pretty good shot, but somewhat recoil sensitive shot it without any trouble. Chamfered thanks for your post about my grandson..I read it to him. He thought it was great ofcourse. My next step is to work up some good loads which are kind to the rifle. I am thinking of something like 43 gr. IMR 4064/168 gr. BTHP. I will keep my eyes open for a good SA receiver rifle. Thanks again for helping me with this situation.

Boolit Master
    That is a good load but can be pricey in my book. I shoot the demilled or bulk 150 grain FMJ and pulled military powder, if you can find it. Pat's Reloading is a good place to look for cheap components. GoldenWest Bullets is another. Gives me a lot of bangs for my money as I practice. And I do need to practice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hip's Ax View Post
    Wow! Haven't been to the CMP site in a while. Apparently a Garand is 5 or 6 hundred now!
    I was going to ask you where you were finding the $400 Garands. I haven't seen any of them (that were usable) in a long time.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I am thinking of something like 43 gr. IMR 4064/168 gr. BTHP.
    Don't put off trying some H4895 with the 168gr jacketed. Haven't seen a Garand yet that didn't like it.

Your H380 burning rate is close to Win 760/H414. H414 was what the "expert" told me to use when I first got mine & was getting into Highpower in the mid 80's. Ended up bending the edge of the rim on a load of new brass.

H4895 for me.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master
    A Shuster is a good way to protect the rifle and expand the type of ammo that you can shoot. But it is $40.