RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: defensive ranges are very close, 10 ft

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Suo Gan View Post
    You get a couple of little dogs around and they don't miss much. They can even tell the mail mans car from a stranger! Can a security system do that?

Our yellow lab we have out back, can tell when someones pulling in the drive, and can even tell when wee get home by the sound of our vehicles.

I've proven it to my wife before, I'm about 40% deaf, but I can hear good enough I can tell when our vehicles or the kids are coming down the road, by the sound of their tires.
    I think our labs the same way, she'll start barking before we even get to within 500' of our drive.

Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    The woman that sleeps next to me snores loud enough for them to kick in.

Hah, I've had to replace the shingles over our bedroom 3 times in the last 10 yrs.
    Wife snors so loud she raises the shingles. She's actually started pulling the dry wall nails out from the ceiling. I had to replace them with 5" long deck screws to hold the ceiling up.

Boolit Master

Lots of times, in a defensive situation, just the sound of jacking a shell into a pump shotgun will scare the hell out of a criminal.
    I heard that once on a defensive video. Jacking a shell into the chamber is a universally recognized sound everyone knows.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    we men can't reliably hit the water in the dark in the middle of the night. And the water ain't even moving.

that's a good one ku4hx!
    Maybe they make night sights for them thinggies ?
    IMO 5 to 6 shots in a second could be done but with what type of accuracy ? 3 or 4 seems more realistic for the average shooter, with good accuracy at ranges of 10 to 25 feet im talking shoe box lid size groups !
    not spray & pray

Boolit Master
    I keep my electronic muffs as well as a surefire, on the floor by my side of the bed. Just above, is my HP in a holster attached to the bedframe which is hidden beneath the bed skirt. Our bedroom is on the second floor. Probably would have time to put them on. I have terrible hearing and the would help in assertaining any movement downstairs. Since we are alone in the house, any noise would be from an intruder. I have no intention of going to look for trouble but woe to anyone that tries to enter the bedroom cause we have no where to retreat. YMMV.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    If you can get 5-6 hits a second coming out of a dead sleep in the middle of the night, you need to shoot competitively on the pro circuit. You'll be a moneymaker. I'll stick my neck out and say 99.9% of the shooters can't do 5-6 in 1 second in broad daylight with everything in their favor, let alone in the middle of the night. It's not how fast you shoot, it's where you hit & with what.

Boolit Grand Master
    Onliest thing I fully believe in is not having the light on the gun. "Never point a gun at anything you are not ready to shoot." If that doesn't ring a bell, it will after the DA reads it when you are on trial for shooting your teen-aged daughter's boyfriend who snuck in and startled you while you were checking "that funny noise."
    5 shots a second? Shoot fast, miss fast.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    Lots of times, in a defensive situation, just the sound of jacking a shell into a pump shotgun will scare the hell out of a criminal.
    I heard that once on a defensive video. Jacking a shell into the chamber is a universally recognized sound everyone knows.
    As is the sound of a slide on a 45. Yes mine is loaded but that sound should be enough of a warning. I like the rear button flashlights but was trained to clear a room with the flashlight at the end of the reach of my left arm. I also practice one handed shooting. If your target is 3 yards away and your gun has a 3" pattern, why should you shoot buckshot over #4? At 10 feet penetration and stopping power will not be an issue.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of the OP beyond starting a conversation with your opinions? Is there some event that triggered this post or something in the latest issue of American Handguner or what?
    what if syndrome
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

6 well placed shots in a second? Every month I shoot the "Bill Drill", my best time is 3.80 seconds before adjusting for the "points down" shots, and I can't do that well every month. The best shooters at our club shoot in the low 3's adjusted. Yes Jerry Miculek can put 12 rounds in the zero down area with a reload on a 625 in 3 seconds, but 99.9999% of us aren't in his league. If I have a pistol/shotgun drawn on an intruder, I'm really hoping I don't have to pull the trigger. No one is going to get to hear the slide rack on my 1911, or hear me jack a round into an 870, the rounds are already where they belong.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Well, it's an entertaining post if nothing else. Like a part of the anatomy, everyone's got an opinion. Most think everyone else's stink.
    6 shots in a second is pretty preposterous, tho. A vid of the OP showing us all how it's done would be a real learning experience for all of us with 30 or more years of combat handgun action game practice and competition.
    I shoot Bill Drills in the low 2's. Even been known to break a 1 point niner from time to time. But that's in the .22 class. Any C/F handgun, no way. Not me, nor any of the master class or nationally ranked shooters I play the game with.
    Problem is, a bit of errant info in the middle of a worthwhile post takes a lot away from the credibility of the poster. I have an 18" 870 at the ready as my sleepytime go-to. you won't dissuade me from its use. There are plenty of reasons why, but I'm not detailing them all here.
    From time to time it's a good thing to play out a scenario or 2 in one's mind about what to do "if"
    Whether or not the internet is a good place to do that, well, everyone will have an opinion.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I wonder how the DA would spin it if you actually were forced to shoot an intruder with a 12-gauge pumpgun while holding the appropriate side-button light and while wearing electronic, amplification/suppression earmuffs?? Really, is a jury going to believe you were FORCED to if you shoot a bad guy while so equipped?

Gear
    Yep.

There is so much wrong with the original post that not only do I not know where to start. . . I don't even have the energy to.

This kind of garbage doesn't need to be here in the forum where the discussion is about casting boolits.

Probably more aprapros for "Humor & Off Topic."

On Not Hitting The Midnight Water...

Night sights are one solution but you still got to aim; wife and I prefer lasers. And that preference is borne of a real life intrusion situation. Aiming takes time, laser pointing takes less time ... for us anyway.

On Heaven's Range

I agree that the discussion is wildly out of place, especially on this specialized Board..

On reading the thread, I seem to hear strong echoes pf "Gunkid" and "plus-P", neither of whom are missed in the least....in fact, I APPRECIATE their absence. I dearly hope that this isn't the re-incarnation of those bozos.

Those here who endured the ravings of those two will know very well what I mean by this.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

I deleted my earlier post and apologize for my forceful manner/bad language.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Most important !!!!!!!!!!!
    Good comfortable shoes to negotiate the different rooms in the house.
    Water at strategic places in case you get dry mouth.
    A few practice targets placed at the proper locations throughout the house.
    Tactical vest at the bedside with extra ammo and mags or speed loaders.
    Shooting trophies placed around in different places with a little light on them so there visible.
    16X20 color picture of you firing 6 shots in 1 second. Placed in a well lit part of the house.
    Try to show a little bit of the timer in the Photo.
    another photo of you in black tactical gear hanging out of a jet ranger chopper, or repelling.
    Soldier of fortune Magazines threw-out the house.
    Bronze statue of you on the lawn bench pressing 300 pounds.
    a FEW HOUSE HOLD CHEMICALS MIXED IN THE PROPER PROPORTIONS
    THERE THAT ABOUT COVERS IT ---ANY QUESTIONS ???
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

My niece and her Pakistani husband came to visit a couple years ago. They live in a major city. One morning they announced that that had found a use for our hearing protectors. They put them on at night so that they wouldn't hear the outside noises. Dogs, coyotes etc.

Had a big laugh and vowed to give our guns to the NRA, not them.
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

Boolit Master

Dang Greywolf it sounds like you got it covered. But you forgot the claymore.

Boolit Grand Master
    How 'bout a motion sensor activated 105 trained on the driveway?

O man lighten up. Bah-Humbug.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of the OP beyond starting a conversation with your opinions? Is there some event that triggered this post or something in the latest issue of American Handguner or what?
    O man lighten up. Bah-Humbug.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"