Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mishap with my LEE 20lb pot today

Boolit Buddy

Mishap with my LEE 20lb pot today

I had a negative experience with my Lee pot today that I think would be good to share. I was casting .44 boolits today, water dropping them. All was good up to the third pot of lead. As I was fluxing and scraping the sides of a full pot, the set screw became dislodged from the grove on the valve rod , which didnt have a lot of the screw head in it to begin with, and became wedged against the valve rod about an inch down from the groove. Lead was pouring out of the valve and as I tried to push the valve rod down onto the valve to stop the flow. it came loose in my hand. By ths time I vas trying to catch the lead in the small stainless cups from Walmart as I tried to get the rod into the valve seat, By this time the lead was on my gloves, which I couldnt get off fast enough, and cooking my boot as it ran off the picnic table onto my foot. Thank GOD I had the bucket with water on it to cool the lead on my boot. Wasnt worried about the tinsel fairy when the lava fairy Godmother was cooking my foot. LOL At this point, about 2 and a half minutes into the mishap, I stood back and watched the lead spill all over the table and onto the ground. Thanking GOD the whole time as I knew this could have ended a lot worse. So it would be a really good idea if everyone who is using one of these pots take a good look at the set screw and valve rod for any defects. Im going to call Lee tomorrow for some replacement parts. And gotta get the Wife a new picnic table..LOL Tommy

Boolit Bub
    I usually set my pot in an old cookie sheet to catch any spills...just as a precaution.

Banned

I keep a bread pan handy for such catastrophies, and keep it under the spout when heating up a full pot of cold lead. I keep everything checked, tight, and lubed, but anything can happen.

Gear

In Remembrance
    Typical of that damn Lee pot.

Dumbest thing I ever did was trade/sell my RCBS Pro-Melt to a guy and replace it with a Lee Pro 4-20. It's like the country song they play down here in Texas, "What Was I Thinking?"

Never. Ever. Again. No more Lee pots. Ever.

Banned

JD, you can just toss it out the window of the Cessna next time you're over my coordinates, a pillowcase will make a nice parachute for a soft landing.

Gear

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    JD, you can just toss it out the window of the Cessna next time you're over my coordinates, a pillowcase will make a nice parachute for a soft landing.

Gear
    I would, Gear, but what with all the damn parts that keep just FALLING off and out of this piece of (dirty word), I'd probably get FOD'd out because the stupid parts would find a way to go AGAINST the airflow and find their way under the cowling.

I've NEVER seen ANYTHING so poorly engineered or built in the entire gun world as this Lee pot. . . exception being the Lee "adjustable" powder bar. Even Lee's Zip Drive is built (marginally) better than their furnaces.

I'm gonna plug it up and use it for straight ladle casting. Only stinking thing it's good for.

Banned

LMAO! That conjured a heck of an image. Haven't heard the term FOD since I worked for Boeing!

Gear

I'm sorry to hear that. I just got a new Lee 20 pounder Pot (still unopened in box to go with my Lyman old bottom pour I have had forever. still works good just looks like ****. are the lee's realy that bad?? GD

what's wrong with the word ****???
    Last edited by gandydancer; 12-02-2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: they removed the word Elcrapo
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Banned

Yeah, they're awful. Just go ahead and ship yours to me, don't even take it out of the box. I'll cover the shipping so it can be properly disposed of.....

Gera

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear about your boot.
    Don't mean to make fun but that reads like a TV comedy skit!
    Glad you weren't wearing flip-flops.

First time I saw a Lee pot in use, dripping of course,
    I became a life member of FLC (Fraternity of Ladle Casters).
    OK I made that up.
    Good idea to use a pan or other containment.

Boolit Master

My first pot was a Lee 20 pounder. To me it was a lot better than heating lead in a pot on the stove. Then I came accross a real good deal on an RCBS pot. I never would have spent the money on it otherwise, since the Lee is way, way cheaper. After using the RCBS pot at the time I figured to myself, "The RCBS pot isn't really much better than the Lee, at least not for all the money it costs." But I was quite inexperienced then. I didn't for instance recognize the effects of temperature variation on my casting. I also hadn't used the Lee enough for it to reveal all the mischief it is capable of. After some years using the RCBS, recently I have tried using the Lee pot again for pure lead. I used it five or 10 times lately, and the last time I used it, is the last time I will ever use it. I will not torture myself again. I have a number of other pots, and would like a couple more, but they won't be Lees. Better pots have spoiled me. I will have to fire it up to drain it as it is full of lead.

Having said that, the Lee does have its place. Again, it is a lot better than heating lead on the kitchen stove. A lot of people don't have $350 sitting around for an RCBS pot. In that case, the Lee is a lot better than nothing and for the price, it has been a good thing for a lot of budget concious casters.

Boolit Master

My first pot was a Lee 10lb model. It recently died after 25 years so I ordered an new Lee 10lb model. I also ordered a new heating element for the old one. When I get the time I plan on fixing the first one. Yes, it sometimes drips but thanks to this forum I have been able to cure and prevent the problem. I wouldn't know where to begin to mention all the neat things I've learned from this forum. I've been casting boolits for 35 or so years and am still learning new things from all of the great posts here. one thing I have recently learned is I really have to cast and reload a lot to support my wife's shooting habit!

Boolit Master

I have a LEE 4-20 and it will work but it's not maintenance free by a long shot. It has had many, many ingots of lead through it but ............ I really believe that I would have fewer rejects and more consistent weights of boolits if I was using a more engineered pot. I just don't want to buy another pot until this one quits. Then I will spend the money.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Buddy
    I use Lee 4-20 for about 2-3 years and so far no significant problems. Dripping problem was solved by keeping Lee ingot mould right under melter spout and adjusting bullet mould stop accordingly.

Will I buy another one?Yup,considering prices of RCBS or Lyman Lee comes out a winner.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    one thing I have recently learned is I really have to cast and reload a lot to support my wife's shooting habit!
    Dang women. If they aint high maintenance in the cosmetics, they're high maintenance in the shooting area.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I have a Lee 20# that was originally a bottom pour, but now its plugged. I plugged my 20# Lyman as well. Lee is made "for a price", and they're pretty good considering the price. It sure beats casting over a Coleman stove and getting carbon monoxide headaches!

In Remebrance

My 40lbs ladle pot has never yet drained itself out onto the floor. Just something to consider.

Banned

The worst pots I have used have been Lyman and RCBS. My friend has two RCBS pots, my Lyman failed all the time after three thermostats and is now finished.
    Cycle times were too long with all of them, I would get good pours going and the lead would cool too much. One of the RCBS pots never does get hot enough even after adjusting it. It won't fill out RB's with pure lead.
    My solution was a Lee 20#. I stripped the junk off and put a tapered brass plug in the hole from the inside.
    I am going to have to fight with Gear for the parachute drop!
    I have two pillows!

Boolit Master
    yer ,i had the same thing happen to my lee a while back .
    i took the rod, handle ,ect ,,,off.
    screwed a self tapping screw up in the spout and made it a ladle only pot.

adrians,,
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Moderator Emeritus

WOW ! I've had no problems with the Lee 4-20 pot.
    Yeah it drips a little bit, once in a while, But Richard Lee's
    solution of just turning the Pin Valve solves that.
    Jon
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-03-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: drips
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast