MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone converted a Lyman trimmer

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1879ee.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	186413All right... this morning I came here to see what was being done for a case trimmer motor for my Lyman "hand crank". All were helpful, but not what I needed. So, after buying the drill I wanted to use, I set about machining a coupler to weld to the handle. The results are shown in the picture (insert). I can still use the handle though it is now restricted to the space between it and the coupler and requires holding it clear of the coupler (I don't see using it this way as the motor works in very fine control. Most importantly I need to CONCUR with those who see no value in the length adjustment collars as they will simply not hold adjustment. My solution (worked out when I put this in service) are also shown. I machined spacers for each of the case lengths of various calibers I load and they provide rock solid space lengths. The Lyman collars are set tight to each other and give no adjustment... they simply interface the bushing to their left. I know these solutions are not for everyone as TIG welding and a lathe are required, but it is the only way this type trimmer will work (IMHO). I used a rest for the far end of the drill, but only use it as a holder when the rig is not actively in use. My handle is the type that is pressed on and has spline for the transfer of motion to the shaft. I believe Lyman used this engineering so that it is not easy to bolt on an adaptor (hence the welding). So feel free to E-me with questions or if the picture is not suitable size for clarity. John- "brassman29" at Jbcarey@sbcglobal.net.

made wood adapter with drill press and router

Boolit Master

I did my Forster much like this. The handle screws off;replaced by nuts which fit a 1/4 inch socket, 1/4 inch flex shaft to drill. The drill is rigid mounted with hose clap,s and the trimer move in and out. Trimmer is mounted on a peice of 2x4. This fit over another 2x4 which has "sides" attached. It makes a trough in which the trimmer can move but stay in line with power drill. I wish I had a foot switch on the drill.

Boolit Grand Master

I have set up lymans rcbs wilsons to run in a bench top drill press. Makes trimming a lot easier and a little faster. The longest part is changing cases not cutting.

Youll need some glue wood dowel 1 X 4 hard wood and some screws. Make an angle plate for your dill press out of the 1 x 4. 4-5" for the base and tie top long enough to get the screws in at the top. Glue and dowel this to start, making it as square as possible. Aster its cured with a table saw just dust the base in then the upright on a table saw. add 1 or 2 braces depending on trimmer and screw placement. Add wood screws when glue has cured good. You can now xhck you cutter shaft in the chuck and then clamp the base t the drill press table and run it in the press.The lyman is the easier one for this as nothing is behind the back end with the universal head.

Materials needed
    1X4 hardwood maple oak walnut
    1/4" wood dowel oak works well
    wood screws flat head 6 x 1 1/2" or 2" are fine
    wood glue tite bond 3 gorilla glue. You need a good solid bond here.

Tools required.
    Drill press
    table saw or radial arm saw
    1/4" drill bit
    Small pilot drill for wood screws
    C clamps or bar clamps
    Small wood chisel for cleaning up glue over runs.
    sand paper.

Once assembled sand and finish nicely with polyurethane or tru oil.

Banned

I removed the trimmer shaft from my old Pacific trimmer and chucked it in the small drill press that I have. I adjusted the drill stop and it worked like a charm. I have to watch the overall length of the hulls closely because the drill stop is not very sturdy.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    I built a power drive adapter for my Wilson trimmers. The end of the cutter shaft on those is 7/16” x 20 TIP (NF). I found a “high nut” that gave enough thread depth to allow attaching the nut to the cutter shaft but also hook an improvised bolt in the other end and turn it down on a lathe so a cordless drill can chuck up on that end.

I still have to hold the drill up to reduce run out on the cutter shaft.

You want to keep lube on these trimmers because the cutter shaft gets lots of miles on it when you add power.

I have a Lyman base and universal shell holder made by Lyman expressly for using a drill press. My issue with it is that my drill presses are not accurate enough in the depth stops to do accurate case length as it is supplied.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12