WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSK Handcannons

Boolit Master

SSK Handcannons

Does anyone want to offer an opinion as to why, during load development of the 411-JDJ the cases which started sooty at the low end of propellant charges (did not obturate), then obturated properly in the mid-high range, and then for some reason at a max load, got so sooty you could not see the brass?

It was almost as though the cases were "floated" in the chamber at 47.0 grains. I would love to hear some opinion about this! Take a look at the picture.
    40-42 grains....sooty
    43-45 grains....clean and shiny except for the neck (normal)
    47 grains....WOW.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 01-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Powder? bullet?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Powder? bullet?
    H322 with a Harrison Bullet Works 210gr JSP

Banned

Simple! The powder is slow for a short barrel and develops pressure farther down the bore. You reach the point with too much powder that some is burned out front instead of in the barrel. That can reduce overall pressure and go past efficient.
    Your brass is springing back from the chamber walls before all the powder is burned.

Looking at your velocity data (and based on my experience with the .444 Marlin in the TC), I would say that H322 is too slow of a powder for optimum results with a bullet as light as 210 grains. In the .444 Marlin, H322 comes into its own when bullet weight gets up to 300 grains and above. For lighter bullets, I have gotten better results with 4198.
    Glen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    Looking at your velocity data (and based on my experience with the .444 Marlin in the TC), I would say that H322 is too slow of a powder for optimum results with a bullet as light as 210 grains. In the .444 Marlin, H322 comes into its own when bullet weight gets up to 300 grains and above. For lighter bullets, I have gotten better results with 4198.
    Thanks Glen. H322 sort of comes in at the 58'th percentile and 4198 should be a tad faster for the 14" bbl at about the 50'th percentile for rate of burn. I was allowing for the slight bottle-neck of the 411 but apparently, it had no effect on chamber pressure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Simple! The powder is slow for a short barrel and develops pressure farther down the bore. You reach the point with too much powder that some is burned out front instead of in the barrel. That can reduce overall pressure and go past efficient.
    Your brass is springing back from the chamber walls before all the powder is burned.
    Excellent explanation.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    OK..enough 200gr stuff in the 411-JDJ. After reading about Tom at Accurate Molds in these threads, I decided to contact him regarding possibilities for bullets in the 375-JDJ and the 411-JDJ. I had ordered a mold several days ago for the 375-JDJ and was perusing some of his other molds which should throw a 350gr+ bullet out of the 411-JDJ. We had some discussions about this and I eventually send him the actual chamber dimensions from a chamber cast I made. Tom took an inordinate amount of his time explaining to me the need to "bore ride" with rifle bullets of certain designs, the benefits of this and that and that the bullet I had selected may not be the best bullet for the 411-JDJ. He then pointed me to a new bullet he had designed based on my chamber measurements. All this on a Sunday!

Of course I ordered the bullet mold from this marketing genius. Either that or he is simply just a real nice guy....Either way, I am still waiting for a reply I sent to another mold manufacturer over a week ago. Looks like I'm done with the competition and will be sticking with Tom at Accurate Molds.

Here is a view of the bullet he worked up for the 411-JDJ. Bear in mind this is for a SSK made 411-JDJ, not one chambered by another manufacturer or gunsmith.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=41-340J-D.png

Now I just need to find a chap named Blammer to get some gas checks ordered.

Boolit Master
    Blammer was located. 41 Cal gas checks on order. 375 and 411 molds are on order. Brass is cleaned, deprimed and ready. Load data has been reviewed. Lubra-sizer is charged. Sure makes me feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Boolit Master
    Still waiting.......

Boolit Master
    WAHOO....375-JDJ bullet mold is here! 411-JDJ mold in process.

Boolit Master
    Just wonderin here, what is the advantage of a 411 JDJ over a 444 marlin? Don't seem to be able to head space off the shoulder, bigger bullet would get a higher velocity for the same weight. just wonderin.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    Just wonderin here, what is the advantage of a 411 JDJ over a 444 marlin? Don't seem to be able to head space off the shoulder, bigger bullet would get a higher velocity for the same weight. just wonderin.

In a nutshell - range and bullet type. The 411 can utilize the lighter 200gr bullets (higher velocity) and get a little more range. With a 290gr, I've whacked deer at 200 yards. As a hardcore handgun hunter, the 411 offers a tad more in bullet selection and versatility than the 444 marlin does. Remember that this caliber came out for the T/C Contender BEFORE the newer Contender G2 receiver. The newer receiver can handle almost anything a rifle can - not so with the legacy receivers. If a handgun hunter wanted something bigger, we used the 45-70 barrel on the T/C frame.

This was intended as a handgun cartridge for the T/C - not as a rifle cartridge. I don't know if you know or knew that so I figured I'd throw that out there for the reader. That is why I had underlined "handgun hunter" above. There is also a 41 caliber following if you don't know that. The 41 Magnum, an often overlooked magnum in lieu of the 44 magnum, has a staunch following. Same with the 10mm auto cartridge. Some of us cringed when the 40 short & weak (S&W) "replaced" the 10mm Auto in popularity. When newbies shoot my 10mm Delta their eyes get as big as saucers.

Same with the 411-JDJ. This cartridge packs a wallop in a 14" JDJ barrel. Loaded with heavy weight bullets (290-320gr), It can take almost anything in North America at respectable ranges. With lighter bullets, 160-220gr, I've hunted whistle pigs to white tail deer. Wild boar rate the 295gr+ bullets. It is extremely versatile and frankly appeals to the 41 caliber freaks - like me.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 12-09-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Added text

Boolit Master
    And then this morning I got to thinking....it was 25 years ago......I had a 41 Magnum TC barrel and then I heard of the SSK Handcannons. I was (and am) a 41 fan so I ordered a 411 to extend the reach and scope of the 41 Magnum. I never even thought of the 444 since if I had wanted a 444, I would have bought a rifle.

And then.....ultimately....because we can - and it's something to do on a weekend. I can't really say there is an advantage of one over the other. Have a great weekend!

Gtoo here
    I also have a 411 JDJ, mine is a 10 in with a super break.....
    For a good bullet go to Penn and get the heavy 41 SSK bullet..
    JD said that it was originally for the 411 and made to fit a 41 mag ,, I have the mold,
    Also for those not familar with the old contender frame ,,, JD designed the
    JDJ rounds to fit the pressure/pushback limits of that frame[ the 444 was over the limits]
    Ps... Do you have the loading data from SSK?? lyou could call them or I could try to find mine.

Boolit Master
    If the 444 is over the limit how come SSK chambers contender barrels for it?????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Gtoo here
    I also have a 411 JDJ, mine is a 10 in with a super break.....
    For a good bullet go to Penn and get the heavy 41 SSK bullet..
    JD said that it was originally for the 411 and made to fit a 41 mag ,, I have the mold,
    Also for those not familar with the old contender frame ,,, JD designed the
    JDJ rounds to fit the pressure/pushback limits of that frame[ the 444 was over the limits]
    Ps... Do you have the loading data from SSK?? lyou could call them or I could try to find mine.
    Thanks Groo. I do have that 41 bullet mold which casts a 295gr bullet. It shoots real well in the 411 and the 41 mag handguns too. I have all the original loading data for the cartridge that was supplied with it years ago. I have also developed some other data for it with other bullets as well. As you are probably aware, the 411 digests heavier bullets better due to the twist rate of the barrel.

Attached is a photo of the SSK 411-JDJ 275gr bullet (actually a 295gr) from the N.E.I. mold. SSK contracted with N.E.I. to produce these molds and you had to order them from SSK.

Later....

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. I kinda feel the same about 375. Went with a 375 JDJ over a 358 because I already have a holland and holland.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    Here are the results of the Accurate Mold 376265D for the 375-JDJ. When Tom says they will cast .376 in WW he means it. This is also my first run with RIFLE bullets and that was a fun learning exercise. Absolutely have to keep the mold on the spout to get the base of the bullet to fill out correctly. Can't wait to light some of these off!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    If the 444 is over the limit how come SSK chambers contender barrels for it?????
    They can now due to the G2 frame. Heck...they can chamber anything now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast