RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: .270 Winchester

Boolit Man

.270 Winchester

I'm looking for a starting load for my .270 Winchester using the RCBS 27-130-FN. I've contacted RCBS and they responded that since they don't have a ballistics lab that they don't have any tested load data for that boolit. I'm not looking for a 3000 FPS load, just a 50 - 100 yard target/plinking load. I currently have Reloader 7, Unique, and 2400 powders so I would like to try those first before expanding to other powders. I have had really good luck with 13.0 grains of Unique with 130 grain J-word bullets so I may start there. In fact, it was that load that got me thinking about shooting cast for more target fun.

My gun is a Model 721 Remington that will drive tacks with J-word bullets.

Any starting points would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Bomberman; 12-01-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Chuck

Any problem can be solved with the correct application of explosives.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman lists 12.0 - 15.3 Unique for their 128grainer.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

That sounds very odd, since they have at least two cast bullet manuals. I have #1. I have the same rifle as you, a 721 in 270. I found a 140 gr SAECO mold for it but, haven't tried it yet or even cast a bullet to know what size it is.

I quickly looked over my manual trying to find where the ballists were done but, couldn't find that info.

Here are some loads for your bullet in a 22" rifle. It says that it casts 135 gr, I believe they use straight lino.

3031, 30 gr, 1998 fps
    4198, 26 gr, 1994
    RL7, 26 gr, 1967
    4759, 23 gr, 1956

All above loads reduded by 2 gr, run 1791 to 1848 fps and those are there starting loads.

Frank

Boolit Master

sizer die may be yor problem too a .280 wont work so have to make a .277/.278

Boolit Man
    Stubshaft & frnkeore, Thanks for your inputs...I think I've got enough to get going with a load workup.

Shotman, size won't be a problem as the mold drops them right at .2785, no sizing required.

I'll post back when I get some target results to show.

Thanks again.
    Chuck

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

Chuck,
    Yes, please do, I'd be very enterested.

Frank

Closest bullet I have to yours is my Lyman 122 grain Loverin.
    Two of the loads I have that shoot decent groups are 25.0 grains Rx7 and 14.0 grains of Unique. Over Wolf LR primers. I am leaning towards the 14gr of Unique as I’m shooting a pencil barrel Weatherby VG and the lighter charge weight has far less barrel heat up in long rapid fire strings.

Rx7 in my 270 Win and 243 AI works good but there is a fine line between enough pressure to burn good for low SD and what the boolits will take. ½ grain up or down from the load that works is a serious downgrade.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bomberman :

I've had so much quick success with 2400 in .30 cal. rifles, that I'd have to try 15 grains and " work up " in 1/2 gr. increments in a .270 if I owned one ( which I don't ) .

Here is some 270 Win load data that also shows velocity with 2400. Your
    bullet weighing 130 grs. can be safely substituted since it weighs 9 grs. less than the bullet used in the data below :

Weight 139 No. 280412 Alliant 2400 16.0 grs. 1,495 fps
    Weight 139 No. 280412 Alliant 2400 17.0 grs. 1,620 fps

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-02-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would go with 2400. I have used somewhere in the 17 to 19 gr range with good results, if I recall correctly. Like Ben said, start around 15 gr and work up. Somewhere between 15 and 20 you should find good results. Should be good in the 1600 to 1800 fps range.

Banned

Keep us posted. I just picked up some 2400. I've got your same mold as well.

Boolit Man
    Loaded two dozen today, two different batches for testing. One with 13 grains of Unique and one with 15 grains of 2400. We'll see what happens at the range.
    Chuck

Boolit Man
    Finally made it to the range today and had some promising results. First off, the load of 13 grains of Unique was a bust...all over the target. On the other hand, 15 grains of 2400 put 10 shots into a 1.5 inch group at 25 yards. I know that's not spectacular but these were loaded without gas checks as I didn't have any at the time. So, I'm hoping that installing the gas checks and bumping up the powder a little will tighten up the group. Stay tuned for more updates.
    Chuck

Good for a start, keep the results coming

Frank

Banned

Good, good, I got my jug of 2400 awaitn' ...

did the case necks have enough pressure to seal them form gas blow back?
    I’m a believer in a load that seals he case I it’s chamber. Short of that you may not be getting good bullet release. Also don't crimp a bolt gun round with these light cast loads.

I'd not hold out much hope for good results without gas checks in a small caliber.

I think you've the right idea on bumping up the powder charges.